George Harrison - Cloud Nine (Gretsch twang)

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by CalicoSkies, Jan 3, 2020.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    One of my favorite songs (by a favorite musician) to feature a Gretsch is George Harrison's "Cloud Nine":

According to Wikipedia, the cover picture for his Cloud Nine album features his 1957 Gretsch 6128, which had been modified:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Nine_(George_Harrison_album)

When I bought my G5420T recently, I wanted a Gretsch that at least came close to that kind of tone, and I opted to put a pair of TV Jones Classic pickups in mine. I like how it sounds, as it's more twanginer than it was with the Blacktop Filtertrons.

2. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That was right before the Traveling Wilburys, and Jeff Lynne’s collaborations on Full Moon Fever and Mystery Girl, some great albums.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Yep, I agree. I liked the Traveling Wilburys' first album. And I bought the Traveling Wilburys 2-CD+DVD set when it was released (around 2005 or 2006?) but I still haven't really listened to their 2nd album much. I liked hearing about how the Traveling Wilburys formed - It wasn't really planned or anything, George Harrison initially just wanted some other musicians to collaborate with on a B-side song for one of his songs.

4. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Did he use the Duo Jet in the recording of the album? I had the impression (not only because of what the Wikipedia says on that page you've linked) that he only used it for the photos. And my ear is not good enough to tell the difference.

George also contributed to "Mystery Girl", playing the acoustic guitar in "A Love So Beautiful". My favourite Beatle and my favourite solo singer brought together once more.

5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    George once called them “The Trembling Wheelbarrows" in an interview. He got the "Trembling " part from Roy Orbison.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've always been a George fan, and the Wilburys were a great group. It's sad that 3/5 of them are gone.

I want "End of the Line" played at my funeral.

Rusty Silver and CalicoSkies like this.
  7. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I guess I'm not sure. I've always assumed that's the guitar he used, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I feel sad as well. "End Of The Line" is one of my favorite songs of theirs, and I was listening to it and also watching the music video on YouTube feeling sad again when Tom Petty passed away. George Harrison and Roy Orbison too. And in the video, the empty chair was for Roy Orbison..

Steve Hotra likes this.
  8. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA

Some may call Full Moon Fever the missing Vol. 2 ...

Is that a Grestch that Mike Campbell is playing in the video? Not sure if he used one on the studio recording, but there is a live performance where he plays a Falcon. Notice how he opts to use the neck for a slight trem instead of the Bigsby? What does he think that is, a Tele?

nice Guild 12 string Mr. Petty is playing on stage there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    CalicoSkies likes this.
  9. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Eric Idle writes that Dr. Arthur Noseputty of Cambridge believes they were closely related to the Strangling Dingleberries, which is not a group but a disease.

George plays a great solo on Belinda Carlisle’s Leave A Light On. But apparently even he’s no George Harrison. Clapton supposedly thought it was somebody imitating George.

dlew919 likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, I think Campbell has a refinished/ refurbished streamliner. He also has a sweet Ric mandolin with a trem that give me bad GAS.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice