G6659TFM vs G6122T / pro vs con?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by KA1J, Jan 9, 2019.

1. KA1J

KA1J Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Connecticut
    Sound being subjective, I'd like to hear objective comments between the 2018 versions of the G6659TFM Broadkaster Jr. series and the G61222T Country Gentleman guitars?

I'd appreciate any opinions good or bad on this, any info is a real help. Price-wise they're close enough to be a wash so it's the details that matter to me right now.

And thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Off the top of my head:
    Huge difference in size, 3" lower bout
    Wood bridge base vs studs.
    Tension bar bigsby.
    Different pickups.

KA1J likes this.
  3. KA1J

KA1J Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Connecticut
    Hi Henry,

Thanks for those thoughts. I have to admit, I'm not sure how that relates in practice to either of them. Studs don't sound appealing, aren't both bars Bigsbys? The pickups are different but I've never heard the side by side comparison. The Country Gentleman is a bigger guitar for sure. I'm used to playing lead on acoustic Dreadnought size guitars for 50 years so both of these will feel like super thin to me.

But I'm really interested in opinions of both as I can't get ahold of either one locally and would like to hear opinions to help me decide.

Thanks!

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You really need to learn about the component differences first, tension bar Bar Bigsby are quite different then one without which affects stringing break angle etc not sure how they affect the.

A wood Bridge is quite different then a bridge on studs since in the top. When I think that kind of bridge I think Gibson SG. Wood base bridges may or may not be pinned.

The bigger box has a big box sound. Both guitars sound good though. If it was me I would be all over the Country Gent.

If I was you I would print out the specs then start going down the lists and learning what each is. I imagine by the time you get through each spec and learned what each is you will have a better idea which way you want to go.

Do you have any time on any electric guitar? What did you like about it and what didn’t you like about it?

Also get to a store and play what they have get a feel for the different weights. Solid, chambered body tones neck sizes etc. make a list of the things you like.

5. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
  6. KA1J

KA1J Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Connecticut
    Hi Bertotti, The only Gretsches at music stores near to me are some of the less expensive variety and I'm looking for a more top-end model. I could look at those in comparison to feel, but no, there's nothing like I'm willing to buy that's on the shelf.

My time with an electric was with a 65 strat that I bought new and sold in 69 to get a Martin D-35. I have played acoustic since then and other than using a transducer on mandolin and violin, haven't done anything with electric.

I'm getting older, hands still work well because I've performed 50 years and playing is natural for me, but arthritis will affect all of us if we live long enough and I've lived that long. That's one of the reasons I want the electric, it's much easier to play and will extend my time on the guitar. Either one of these will be much easier to play than any of my acoustics, the Broadkaster will be more like a parlor guitar and the shorter scale appeals to me. I do use the whole fingerboard so easy reach of the notes has been a problem, my one cutaway acoustic sounds terrible and I haven't used it in years.

I'm looking at this guitar as something to enjoy at home so comfort and sound are important. I picked up a 45W 65 Gibson amp and will either use that or just play without anything connected. Nice to play whenever I want without waking anyone else up.

So perhaps for size, the Broadkaster is better and for tone the Country Gentleman is better? I wish they were local, I'd try them out and know the answers. ;)

7. KA1J

KA1J Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Connecticut
    Oh man, I made a typo in the subject line & said 6509, I meant to say 6659. That had to be confusing, I just now changed the subject line.

The differences in the two that are appealing to me is the smaller size of the Jr. should make it easier to play. The larger size will, I think, offer a richer tone. I just don't know and I have been offered a good price on each and it's time sensitive so I have to choose soon. Either one will surely satisfy me musically, I want to hear objective positives & negatives from players point of view.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know the 6122T-62 Chet Atkins according to the Gretsch website has the shorter scale 24.6" but is a bit more expensive and is only 1/4" deeper in the body then the Broadkaster at 1.75" vs 2". But the body is 17" vs the 15" of the Broadkaster.
    This is one of my desired guitars at some point.
    g6122t-62 vintage select

I am confused because zzounds says it is a25.5-inch scale. Maybe someone here can let us know which it really is but I tend to go by the manufactures website but that may be a mistake as well.
    ZZounds listing

I'm not sure I would let the scale influence you too much. Perhaps you could find a local shop with the two different scale lengths to try keeping in mind strings make a huge difference to ease of play as well.

Have you considered having an acoustic lightened to use lighter strings? Of course, there would be no going back to heavier strings without a top change or bracing change or both. Depends on how the luthier and it would have to be a good luthier, lightened.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  9. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    A Gent feature that's been overlooked in this discussion is that the Gent is an "Electrotone" body.

These sealed top bodies offer, IMO, a more focussed type tone, for a lack of better words. All Gretsch sound, just a little different, and one of my favorite Gretsches.

I prefer the single cut Gent, the now discontinued 6122- 58.

Specs are short scale neck, brass nut, large headstock, no back padding, deep 17" Electrotone body, trestle bracing, and "HS" Filters.

20181211_114059.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Lionpotato and KA1J like this.
  10. KA1J

KA1J Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Connecticut
    ## I have a 30's martin that I have lights on & a custom made for me dreadnought set up for lights (both using Elixir, my preferred strings) I have never used heavy strings and stopped using mediums 15 years ago. So for me, lights are a requirement. Maybe I'd be happy with an old Ovation set up for acoustic (fantastic action on those) but I do want to experiment with the whammy/Bigsby as I always liked what Chet did with it. I do like Rockabilly so there's another reason for the bar.

Price-wise I have a better price on the Country Gentleman, I'm more interested in function than price. Both are within the budget.

Decisions decisions... :)

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    There are Gents, and there are Gents. The G6122-62 is a thin, double cut and, to the best of my knowledge, has waffle board for sound deadening, which makes it a bit darker than average for a Gretsch. The G6122-59 is a single cut, trestle-braced guitar and will be a typical, bright Gretsch. The G6122T has soundholes and ML bracing, which is something like trestle bracing. I can’t comment on the sound of the Broadcaster, but I’m sure that there are plenty of folks here with hands on experience with the model.

It all comes down to what you want. The Gretsch line covers as much, if not more, ground than any brand out there.

Lionpotato and Robbie like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  13. KA1J

KA1J Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Connecticut
    Hi Henry, Interesting you mentioned that, I've been also thinking about one of the vintage select guitars as being interesting, it's that same color and looks much the same. It's the neck thickness though that I am looking at. Older hands don't do as well as younger ones and the thin necks that I used to love are now not as easy to play with. Perhaps the thicker V neck the SV series has would be a good choice.

Yesterday and today was spent driving to the major guitar dealers around me and nobody had any Gretsch that was mid-level or above. That makes it tough to decide what instrument to buy without trying first.

One thing that is interesting is to hear the differences between pickups and the TV Jones series always seems to come out on top on youtube. Of course the quality of sound from youtube is compromised but it still is a good indicator of what's being generated. If I consider the price of putting those pickups on a less expensive guitar, it makes the upper midrange guitars with TV's in them, more appealing.

I'm not in a hurry to buy but when I get as much information as I can, it'll be fun to buy at that time. One thing for sure, I'm not looking for a collector's guitar, I'm looking for sound and comfort. :)

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I would approach it as a long-term project. Find a base instrument you like and that feels good to you, then, if you feel the need, make it better with pickups that work best for you. I don’t think any of my Gretsch are completely stock I’ve found that DuoTrons and Supertrons work well for my needs. Others go for the brighter sounds of OEM Filtertrons or TV Classics. The thing is, none of these pickups sounds bad, it’s almost an embarrassment of riches.

new6659 likes this.