G6129T. NGD. Jet Blue Peal

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pndawg, Jan 19, 2020.

1. pndawg

pndawg Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Massachusetts
    What a cool unique guitar. I’m really surprised these aren’t more popular. I mean, Jet Players Edition. Then again I don’t know. I never really paid attention to Gretsch until recently and figured I’d go big with the Blue Pearl MIJ version. I had the Black 6228 for a few days, but felt the need for a Bigsby and different look. Also the nut on this is lower and overall plays better. Funny how each guitar is different even when they are are the same for the most part.

How many of these Blue Pearls are out there? It seems like it’s a limited run. It sure makes a statement for sure. Heads turned when I took it to the desk at GC to buy it. My family didn’t think it was a good idea from pics, but then saw it in person and get it.

This thing plays great with low action, very little relief. It’s like more U shaped 60 Les Paul. The frets are a really smooth too. It’s take getting used to the new classical inlay, but I love it though.

The HS Filter’Trons aren’t PAF 57s, but that’s why I got it. I wanted something different than my LP and Strat that can still take high gain and excel at clean too of course. I have cranked it to gig level year, but that’s the real test.

I put 9s on it and tuned down 1/2 step. That’s for my band, but not regular practice when not playing out. Either way the Bigsby is working pretty good. Doable at least. I’ll need to tune between songs if I use it. I took out the arm washer to keep it about 1.5” off the pick guard.

I love the neck joint. It easily provides and extra fret access feel vs the LP and even the Modern / HP Les Pauls with the cut out. It’s cool how the Jet’s heel is contoured, but not a huge carve out that seems unnecessary in comparison.

There is not a flaw on this thing and as much as I’ve to buy MIA I had to stray in this case.

I don’t have any pics, but most have probably seen these and it’s not like wood that has variations in tops. Here the webpage regardless. https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...ewood-fingerboard-light-blue-pearl/2402812827

section2, ronbo, Merc and 5 others like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Those are pretty guitars. Congrats on the new axe!

3. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    That's a fabulous looking guitar - congratulations!

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats and enjoy!

5. shreddykrugar

shreddykrugar Gretschie

Apr 29, 2010
    So Cal
    They are extremely popular. Their bake had gone up over the last decade. You can find one for under $1500

6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Welcome and congrats in your adventure into the Gretsch world. I’ve got a G6228 with the same neck heel. You’re right on point with them. It looks like a very subtle thing but it’s very apparent when playing... just super comfortable. Enjoy the new axe!

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats. These look so cool. If you're tuning down, you may consider 10s, which should also help the tuning stability.

9. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Those are beautiful guitars, congretschulations!

10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Nice!

I could definitely see me with one of those...congrats!!

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    if I had the cash the only two things that would stop me are the tension bar Bigsby and the skinny headstock but the headstock I could learn to like the Bigsby not so much.

12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Beautiful guitar. If money were no object, I'd be tempted to get one to match my '50s Gretsch drum kit.

20180227_223449_Film1.jpg

new6659, thunder58, Merc and 3 others like this.
  13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If you find that the Bigsby is throwing your guitar out of tune, chances are it's either the nut or the tension-roller on the Bigsby. Get the nut properly dressed and lubed, and if the problem persists, you can cure it by replacing the tension-roller with a Brick's BiggsFix.

Enjoy that beautiful guitar!

Merc likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    There are older versions with the wood bridge bass and B3 bigsby.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Love these drum skin finished Jets!!............ Has Gretsch ever done a hollow body with this stuff???

Congrats on a beautiful new Jet!!

16. Alanqa

Alanqa Electromatic

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    My favourite Jet. One day!

17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats

18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Yes!
    [​IMG]

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice