G6128T-1962 Duo Jet - Unexpected NGD

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by new6659, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Gorgeous - congrats! Sounds like you have a great wife...

DannyB and new6659 like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Beautiful guitar . Congratulations ..... now let your wife buy some shoes ... or at least take her to a nice dinner ;)

new6659 likes this.
  3. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Sweet guitar!

new6659 likes this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Very nice.

new6659 likes this.
  5. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Electromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congratulations on the wife and the guitar. Enjoy playing your new find.

new6659 likes this.
  6. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Great story, incredible guitar and fabulous wife! Congrats on all, you are blessed.

new6659 likes this.
  7. shrews824

shrews824 Country Gent

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Sweet pickup. I haven't been able to take my eyes off Jets lately. I NEED one bad!!!

new6659 likes this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    This is right on the mark for ideas after that Gretsch. :)

new6659 likes this.
  9. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    Normally, this MIJ Double Jet would have shipped in a Deluxe Gretsch case with gold badging, five latches, and maroon interior. I do not recall ever seeing one ship in the flat top Standard Gretsch case.

10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats sir!

I love unexpected ngd's,sadly i don't have them as frequently as i'd like too,the last one was 2009!

new6659, audept and radd like this.
  11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I'll check into that. The various websites indicate this model comes with a G6238 case. There is a G6238 FT flat top case (which it has) with a grey interior. It has five latches, "Gretsch" painted in gold on the top and was made by TKL. I'm thinking it might be what was used in 2016. I have the newer arched top case for my G6228FM Player edition Jet which has the maroon interior.

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I have generally found the Gretsch cases with the painted gold lettering on top are their lower priced models. I have found the proline cases to have a plaque near the handle instead.

Actually I have both, there is very little difference in quality between them.

disclaimer, I certainly have not seen every Proline case.

Merc and new6659 like this.
  13. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Great guitar! Now we need to hear some vintage AC/DC! Much thanks to your wife for this acquisition!

new6659 likes this.
  14. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've been playing the instrument for two days now and it is exactly as it should be. Maybe this weekend I'll plug it into a fender twin and a Marshall half-stack to hear it wail!

When I got my G6228 a while back it was a toss up between it (with the tone control curcuit) and a G6128-1959 vintage select which the G6128-1962 is very similar to (tone switch circuit). I feel very lucky to have both!

upload_2020-1-23_21-59-59.png

G5422T likes this.
  15. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

@radd recently posted a thread about nice looking guitars (he has a very beautiful Cadillac Green G6228). When I'm playing this one, I feel like I'm wearing a tuxedo. In this instance, that's a great thing!

radd likes this.
  16. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    The Gretsch Pro Series solid body guitars ship in the Deluxe arch-top 6238 case. That is the one with the gold metal badge at the handle and the maroon interior. This is the deluxe case for Gretsch solid body guitars. My G6128-1962 shipped in one of these.

The 6238FT (flat top) case, which you have, is the Standard Gretsch accessory case for the solid body Electromatics.

new6659 likes this.
  17. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m not really a duo jet guy, but I would totally get up on this guitar!
    Congrats!

new6659 likes this.
  18. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Thanks for the info @BobbyMac. I've contacted the store and they're ordering the correct case for an exchange.

radd likes this.
  19. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Thanks Caleb!

20. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I was absolutely not a Jet guy, no way. After being on this forum long enough I got seduced.

Turns out to be nothing more than I already knew, as much as I love the looks of full bodied and thinline guitars I love playing solid body guitars the most. This includes my Fenders, Epi Les Paul and now Jets.

Of those solid bodies the Jets win for me in regards to stunning looks and wonderful playability.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice