G6128EE

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by groundcat, Jan 20, 2019.

1. groundcat

groundcat Electromatic

Jan 20, 2019
    Mentor, OH
    Hello! First post. I'm thinking of selling because I need the cash.
    I'm worried I'll regret, but just wanted to put a feeler out there.

Purchased from Heights Guitars in Cleveland, Ohio in 2007. S/N JT03010559

Here's where it gets interesting. Allegedly, once owned by Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys. I was told that he was looking for a Les Paul sound without having a Les Paul. He took out the FilterTrons and replaced them with an upgraded version of the TVJones pickups. Not sure what kind specifically. I still have the originals.

I was skeptical about this so the next time Dan was in the shop, they had him sign a note to me. Again, I can't prove it was him, but it's a fun story and I have the note.

Not even sure how much to ask. Any thoughts? I realize the Dan Auerbach story is just a story and won't add one penny to the selling price. I paid for a Blue book search and it shows around $2,000.00

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Attached Files:

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk groundcat!

I'm no expert on values, but I do know that the Cadillac Green with that gold hardware gets a lot of attention. If I was in the market, the Elliot Easton model would be a very appealing Duo Jet.

groundcat likes this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome aboard groundcat!

Cool geet.

groundcat likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, groundcat!
    Welcome mat 66.jpg

groundcat likes this.
  5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Never mind just being a big jerk to a new member.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  6. groundcat

groundcat Electromatic

Jan 20, 2019
    Mentor, OH
    It's hard to understand what you're saying. Did I join this form just to get info about my one and only Gretsch; yes, I did. Is that against forum rules? You're right, if I sell it I won't be back (until I save up enough to buy another one). I've held off joining this forum for years (seriously). But, I can't find much info about my guitar and though this was a good place to go to.
    Yes, you are being a p%çker.

7. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon

SORRY OOPS!!!!!!

Yes I am a "Picker" :) and also a p%cker at times like now. yes, You may call me Dick.
    Now on second, third and fourth read of your post. I realize you didn't post a for sale ad. OOPS my bad you are right I apologize, seriously. If I could I would blame the two Gin Salty Dogs at Sunday Brunch today. Sorry all on me. Nice guitar hope you get what you want or need out of it if you sell. Stick around the forum we will be close friends before it's over.

speedicut, Merc, audept and 1 other person like this.
  8. groundcat

groundcat Electromatic

Jan 20, 2019
    Mentor, OH
    Apology accepted rcboals. Alcohol comes from The Devil's River (as I pour down my gullet a few Victory Sour Monkey's). I'd like to see a closer photo of your Country Gent.

9. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Welcome to the group groundcat. You'll regret it for sure but sometimes the $ have to have the priority. Good luck wherever you land on it. It's a beauty. Hey, is Difiores Music still open downtown? I worked there as a stock boy 50 years ago. Used to be THE music store in Cleveland.

groundcat likes this.
  10. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah, gentlemen being gentlemen. That's what makes this forum so uniquely different. I'll sink a Pinot Noir to both of you new friends!

11. groundcat

groundcat Electromatic

Jan 20, 2019
    Mentor, OH
    No longer in business. I have read some famous folks have passed through those doors.

12. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    That's too bad :(. Ed was a really cool guy!! I figure his 2 kids Chip and Lanie ran it for a while. Hopefully they had the forethought to remove the "Wall of Fame" and do something with it before the building turned over. Everyone who was anyone came through there if they were playing in town. Everyone signed the wall. It was the main reason I worked there. I got to meet a few, and saw a lot of big names of the day. I was your typical star stricken teenager.:D

groundcat likes this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome to the friendliest Gretsch and guitar site on the inter webs! The 6128EE is a great guitar. The Caddy Green and gold is beautiful and the 25 inch scale is unique in Gretschdom. Sorry you have to sell.

groundcat likes this.
  14. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Back at you Audept. I don't see how any one who looks like this pic could possibly be anything other than I kindly old gentleman. :) Our new members 6128 Easton would go nicely with my hat. :)

Attached Files:

audept likes this.
  15. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Lovely hat Raye! You look very comfortable with that drink in your hand! :)

16. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Pinot Noir is under way, homemade burgers are ready to go on the BBQ, cheers all you lovely folk on this forum. You are the best forum members on the planet. :cool::cool::cool:

groundcat, panhead6zero and thunder58 like this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hi @groundcat . Welcome to the forum and please stick around as all are welcome here . Man she's a beauty that guitar of yours . And if I know one thing for sure , @rcboals apology is sincere

groundcat likes this.
  18. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Welcome groungcat and cool guitar!

And, Raye is a good guy as is everyone on G-T

( except for that speedicut fella, he gets on my nerves sometimes)

groundcat likes this.
  19. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If you want to tie the signature/note you’d have to pay to get the signature authenticated. Then research and find photo’s of him playing it live to help build your case of the added value as a collector. I’m not sure how big a fan base he had and how many have big pockets. Regardless, clean looking EE and the scale length is cool in my book.

There was a mid 90’s black (oddly posted as gold) 6129 sparkle jet on Reverb for the longest time that the seller claimed was tied to the Smashing Pumpkins. Given by Billy to the other guitarist and he claimed he had some sort of message to connect it. To me it wasn’t worth $4k+ price he wanted because of the supposed relationship to SP. At the time I was willing to drop $2200 on it mainly because I was gassing hard for the rare black sparkle but he wouldn’t budge in price. My point is it sat on Reverb a looonnng time. I do wonder what he eventually sold it for.

https://reverb.com/item/9251907-gre...illy-corgan-james-iha-owned-smashing-pumpkins

groundcat likes this.
  20. groundcat

groundcat Electromatic

Jan 20, 2019
    Mentor, OH
    No photos of him playing it. I don't think he had it very long. I'm one of his biggest fans, and partially why I obtained it. So, if I could find my doppelganger, I could sell it to him. :p

Merc likes this.