G5655 Bigsby

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by twang46, Jun 4, 2019.

1. twang46

twang46 Electromatic

Aug 18, 2012
    Co Durham, England
    I'm wondering about the break angle on the Bigsby B70 as supplied as it feels a bit harsh for my taste

Has anybody fitted a B3 Bigsby for example ?

Cheers

D

2. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    The B70 is to much break and the B3 is not enough. I fought the B70 chigsby on my older Korean 5655. Locking tuners, nut, bridge and anything else I could think of. The thing that made that guitar a joy to play is pictured below. 20180414_142147.jpg

benjwri, twang46 and Outlaw like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I've always found the break angle on the B7/B70 to be too steep. The B3 might work for you, or it might be too shallow. You can test this by running your strings overtop of the tension-roller on your B70. If the break angle is good, then you can leave the strings that way or replace the B70 with a B3. But using a B3 would leave visible holes in the top of your guitar where the B70 was mounted.

The best solution here is to order a Brick's BiggsFix tuning stabilizer. It replaces the tension-roller on your Bigsby with a better-made version which gives you smoother action and a shallower break angle. It's made by a fellow forum member. If you order one, make sure you get the model for licenced Bigsbys, not the one for US-made Bigsbys.

While you're at it, you can replace the Bigsby spring with his Super Squishy Spring. It makes a world of difference to the action on the Bigsby.

hcsterg, twang46 and gretscher09 like this.
  4. twang46

twang46 Electromatic

Aug 18, 2012
    Co Durham, England
    That's what I was looking for

I knew of the Towner system but the link you posted looks the way to go.

Thank you

D.

section2 likes this.
  5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The Towner system is fantastic for Bigsbys without tension-rollers. I used it with a B3 on my G2655 and loved it. For guitars that are already outfitted with tension-roller Bigsbys, the BiggsFix is the way to go.

Setzerhotrod and twang46 like this.
  6. twang46

twang46 Electromatic

Aug 18, 2012
    Co Durham, England
    I've ordered the BiggsFix (& spring).................. only downside is the around $35 that will be levied by the taxman & the couriers "handling charge"

D

section2 likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I don't know the shape of the top of the G5655T, but if it is the same as a G5435 or G5220, putting a B3 without any accessories is doable - but it is not a simple swap : you need to work your tremolo shape adequately to win the mms necessary to obtain the fateful break angle at circa 7°...

Here's what I did with success on my G5220LH :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That said, if your guitar already had a B7 or B70, @section2 is right : the BBF solutions are the way to go satisfactorily !

A+!

8. twang46

twang46 Electromatic

Aug 18, 2012
    Co Durham, England
    Thanks for the info hc, that is a cool looking "custom jet" you have :)

I had considered buying a B3 & adjusting the contour as you have but it is after all a budget guitar that sells in the UK @ $1,000 so any mods need to be cost effective & as I have already replaced the bridge, adding the cost of the BBF shipped to the UK does not leave too much room for any more improvements without getting into a situation where (in this case) I would have been better off looking for a used 6121.

D

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Indeed ! The cost of a G5220 is not the cost of a G5655T also... If your guitar has a B70, fine : BBF offers the matching ball bearing front roller kit in 2 versions : normal and surelevated.

I used the normal version on many of my guitars with B5 and B7 with complete success, so in a version or another, it will be efficient on your G5655T. No hassle...

A+!

10. twang46

twang46 Electromatic

Aug 18, 2012
    Co Durham, England
  11. twang46

twang46 Electromatic

Aug 18, 2012
    Co Durham, England
    The BBF arrived & I found it very easy to fit.
    I just slackened the strings & fitted it without removing anything along with fitting the softer spring.

One question I do have, it seems that the recommended method of fitting is to leave some slack on the roller mounting brackets to allow some movement of the roller assembly ?

Not for me, I found the angle that suited me ( a couple of degrees back from vertical ) & locked up the roller in that position.

What have you guys done with this .....leave some play or tighten to a suitable position ?

I was a bit apprehensive about the extra roller "getting in the way" but in practice I forgot it was there after a few minutes.

The guitar now stays in tune so much better than before & seems to play better as well......happy days :)

But for me, the star of the show is the replacement spring "super squishy" indeed. :D
    In my opinion absolutely essential for a Bigsby whether the US versions or the licensed variety.

Time to enjoy playing the guitar now for a while before I start some more "improvements"....wiring/tuners/fit the vintage TVJ Dynasonic to the neck position

D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice