g5445t or g5245t w/case?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Les PaltaX, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Gretschie

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm joining the Gretsch-users club soon. I'm about to buy a used Electromatic. I almost bought the g5235t but someone got the money before me...

So: Now I'm between a g5245t with case and bigsby and a g5445t without case, but also with bigsby (Both double jets), so as far as I know, differences are...

g5245t: 2 potenciometers and minihumbuckers (but with case)
    g5445t: 3 (4?) potenciometers and Filtertrons (but without case).

The g5445t is also $60 dollars more expensive.

What would you pick? What should I choose? I've been almost cmopulsively reading about Gretsch these last days and I'm pretty sure both guitars are made out of the same wood and stuff. Is there any variable I'm not considering?

Thank you lots!! See you soon again :D

PS: I know inlays are different too, but that's not really relevant to me

2. guto

guto Gretschie

Oct 24, 2011
    Brasil
    If you want a closer gretschy sound, go for the 5445, the black top filtertron is more like a real filtertron than the mini hbs and also, as far i can remenber those 5245 were not chambered at all, and were really heavy.

johnny g likes this.
  3. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I really like the black filtertrons so that's an easy choice for me....go with the 5445.

johnny g likes this.
  4. JCarno

JCarno Gretschie

Jun 22, 2014
    Finger Lakes
    Another vote for 5445t. I might be bias because I own one but to be honest, I've never tried a 5245.
    I bought the 5445 for one reason, Malcolm Young. It gets close enough for me through a Marshall 2204.
    Good Luck!!

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I would go for the 5445t, as well. Partly for the Blacktop pickups being closer to the classic Gretsch sound, and partly because the 2 pickup volume controls allow the blending of the pickups to get the sound you want, and then the mater volume and tone fine tunes everything (that's what I have with my 5435t).

johnny g likes this.
  6. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    I had a 5445T and it was a great guitar.

7. Garruchal

Garruchal Electromatic

Oct 21, 2013
    Seattle
    5445T. Better pickups. I was dissatisfied with my first Gretsch until I upgraded the pickups to blacktop filtertrons, and that cost me more time and money than $60. The double-jets fit fine in a gig bag until you come across a good case later on.

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I was thinking so much about answering Les' question that I forgot to do something very important.

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Les PaltaX!!

9. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Gretschie

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    Hahahahahaa. I didn't plan to answer yet until I had one or two more votes but I HAD to say something about this hahaha

Thank you all very much for your answers. The g5445t it is, then. I'll be posting pictures soon (I'll get it on Wednesday or Thursday, when the seller comes back to the city).

6-0 is a pretty clear score. I'll be waiting for mor votes and comments anyway.

Thanks again !!

10. Mag3

Mag3 Synchromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to the forum! Good choice.

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Les!
    welcome doormat multi-language.jpg

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'll leave this one simple ... Welcome to the forum friend ... In "CASE" you have't heard ..... well , you'll find out , the guys will tell ya :p
    ... it's all good my friend . Good luck in your choice :)

13. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Gretschie

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    Less than 24 hors to go !! I can barely wait !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice