G5445 Double Jet GSR Broadway Jade

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by msc_, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You talk about the one in your avatar, right? It has a G tailpiece, so the answer is NO, because the Les Trem is a replacement for a stop tailpiece like on a Les Paul.

The alternative is a Bigsby, but that is a one way ticket, because it will require new screw holes, as far as I remember. I hope the others can shed more light on this mod.

msc_ likes this.
  2. msc_

msc_ Electromatic

Mar 29, 2014
    North Carolina
    Yes, the Les Trem is for stop tailpiece guitars. A Bigsby B3 can be mounted without drilling new holes using either the Towner or Vibramate hinge adapter. I installed a Gretsch B3 on a Pro Jet and just screwed the hinge in since it was a permanent install.

Aymara likes this.
  3. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    msc_ likes this.
  4. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    Thank you for the quick reply. So if I am understanding... I COULD use the Les Trem if I were to drill, baby drill, correct? I am so new to this and I am trying to learn so much, so fast. I have already built a guitar and have slowly been working on my wiring skills, but I am not always certain of the proper terminology and I worry about communicating and learning so as not to make a grievous error. THANKS for helping out the new guy!

russmack likes this.
  5. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    Do you have a photo of the install you did?

6. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Nice Get.

msc_ likes this.
  7. msc_

msc_ Electromatic

Mar 29, 2014
    North Carolina
    I don't have a picture of the bottom handy, but here is what it looks like. This was another stop tailpiece guitar, so I used a Towner bar where the tailpiece was. Without the stop tailpiece, you can just mount the Bigsby in the standard way. I'm not 100% sure about the break angle between the Bigsby and the bridge in your situation. Maybe someone can chime in with their thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    CaliforniaSlim and Howard hughes like this.
  8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    NO!

Check out videos on Youtube about the Les Trem to see how it works. Your guitar doesn't have a stop tailpiece and it would be much hassle to drill the needed holes. Furthermore you would need to fill and hide the holes of your G tailpiece, which would be needed to remove.

A much easier approach would be removing the G tailpiece and installing a Bigsby instead. But not like MSC_ did it, because he had a stop tailpiece before, you don't ;)

9. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    WOW. THANK YOU!!! I was not sure there were holes under the G tailpiece. So do I not need a Vibramate or Towner. I would have preferred this with the Bigsby so I have no need to ever remove it, even if I were to sell it. THANK YOU AGAIN!
    Do you happen to know which Bigsby I would need?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Sure, it's screwed to the body not only with the strap pin.

It might make sense to open a new thread about the Bigsby installation ... maybe name it "How to replace G tailpiece with Bigsby" ... there are others here, that know more about this conversion. You wouldn't be the first one doing it, I guess?

And as it seems, you might want a golden Bigsby?

PS: And no, no Towner bar needed.

11. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Have you read the responses on your thread? Every time you post in it, it goes to the top of the list, which increases your chances of getting the information you need.
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/replacing-open-g-hardtail-with-bigsby.174339/#post-1055241

12. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson

msc_ likes this.
  13. CKC411

CKC411 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    I do not know how I even got two threads going. I am an idiot and still playing the "I'm new" card. I have been reading responses and not sure I am any more clear on what to do. I was set on the B-3, but then a post caused me to doubt this. THANK YOU for the guidance!

rockinforJesus likes this.
  14. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    If anybody here sees one of these online, please let me know! I can't seem to find one anywhere.
    Thanks,
    jeff

15. msc_

msc_ Electromatic

Mar 29, 2014
    North Carolina
    It was a CME limited run at the end of last year. I don't know how many were available, but the first one I received was damaged in shipping, so I can account for 2 of them.

Howard hughes likes this.
  16. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Anybody know if the "les trem" will fit on a 5220? The tuneomatic seems to have less of an angle the 5445 pictured in this post.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks

Attached Files:

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That is definitely one of the sexiest FSR Electro Jets I've seen, well done!

That looks great and is another counter example to my near universal dislike of gold hardware.

I REALLY needed the Towner bar when I converted my 5655T from the stock B50 to a B3C if I wanted to do anything w/ it but lap slide playing or the like. Seems like some people have had luck on some ProJets going w/ a B6/60 (or more rarely a B3/30) and no bar though. It really seems to come down to acceptable bridge/action height and the fretboard height and neck angle.

I love the the action on the Les Trem II I've got on a Wilshire I pimped out but it does kind of get in the way of my usual comfortable pick hand position on standard spaced stop bar bushings. Someday I'm going to do a build that puts the bushings another half inch or so back so I can I enjoy the Les Trem awesomeness w/o any drawbacks. I've some pretty large gorilla hands though so YMMV...

msc_ likes this.
  18. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    pure class

msc_ likes this.
  19. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    so you are responsible for the panic i felt when i saw the number of stock going down! haha i caught number two thank god!

20. Howard hughes

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    ive still got the strings mine came with on there and i have played it everyday hard! this thing doesnt break strings, that is a good sign.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice