g5422tg: completely wrong setup after changing strings?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Wr426f, May 30, 2019.

1. Wr426f

Wr426f Electromatic

Dec 13, 2018
    Belgium
    hello everybody,
    since november i started playing again and bouth myself al beautiful 5422tg. Today i have changed the strings, i removed the old ones and replaced them with the new ones (first remove all 6). I would think: standard buisiness? But now it rattles like hell and i even had to put de bridge higher so i could even tune it?
    It its possible that the neck moved so far without the strings and dit not come back after ?
    I don't think there is something missing on the guitar by changing the strings?
    I don't quit get it?
    Does anybody have an idea? :confused:

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Are the new strings the same gauge as the old ones?

hcsterg likes this.
  3. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Unfortunately the Adjusto-Matic bridges do have a nasty tendency to rattle like an asthmatic smoker. I took mine off, removed the saddles and then added sections of pen spring to either side of them (whilst I am saving for a Compton). It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better. The springs severely reduce the movement of the saddles in the bridge which is what causes the rattle. Also +1 to what @englishman said.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That is a possibility.

A Daddario EXL110 #010 gauge set has a string pull of over a 100lbs. Removing all that pull for the first time since november and some guitar necks won’t be happy.

5. Wr426f

Wr426f Electromatic

Dec 13, 2018
    Belgium
    i am just checking it out, i have asked at the shop for a standard set of strings specific for this guitar. I have measured them now and i see a difference. The low E has a Ø 1.2mm (before 1.26) and the high E has a Ø 0.23 (before 0.26).
    So i presume i have now a .10 set and before a .11 set? Grrrr.
    Now that i know this, would it be wise to change the position of the neck/arm a litte bit (dit it before on my other guitar) or is it advisable to put on a .11 set for bether sounds on this specific guitar?

6. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I use 11s on my 2420T, they are better for Bigsby use (12s even more so!) and this should mean you don't have to adjust the neck.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Set up the guitar with the strings that are on there now. That’s the only objective way to find out if you like the strings.

Waxhead and Flouswa like this.
  8. Wr426f

Wr426f Electromatic

Dec 13, 2018
    Belgium
    for the record: the guy sold me a set of: curt mangan 10-46 regular strings (#11046)
    I don't know if this help?

9. Wr426f

Wr426f Electromatic

Dec 13, 2018
    Belgium
    @Ricochet: do i understand correctly that the arm will come back after a while, or is this wishfull thinking?

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don't know. Ideally yes. But possibly it was not properly set up in the first place. I can't tell from here.

11. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Can you hear the rattle only when you play unplugged or even when electrified?

12. Wr426f

Wr426f Electromatic

Dec 13, 2018
    Belgium
    I have putt de bridge higher and it's better butt not completely gone, i have the idea that the arm is now more in "normal place". I understand that the hight of te strings is also personal, butt what should be a good distance between the thickest string and the last fret?
    Tnx for all help so far! Appreciate it.

13. Wr426f

Wr426f Electromatic

Dec 13, 2018
    Belgium
    @Rusty Silver: i don't play loud so i can hear it electrified.

14. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    If the rattle goes through the electricrified sound, I'd go for a professional set up. Anyway, first of all, why don't you put a new set of 11's gauge strings? If backing to the old gauge the guitar sounds right, you've solved the problem.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If it was set up perfectly for a 011 gauge set and you've currently installed a 010 set(which has less string pull), chances are the neck might have developed a slight back bow.

Easy trick to check neck bow: Press the e-string at the first and the last fret(acting as a make shift straight edge), and check if the string clears the frets in the middle. Check both Es on either side of the fretboard.

If the strings are resting on the middle frets, you need to adjust the trussrod till the strings clear the frets. Think thickness of a piece if paper.
    To loosen the trussrod you need to turn counter clockwise(Lefty loosy, righty tighty). Turn in small increments, say a quarter of a turn, and check the result by doing the ruler trick again.

Waxhead, Pop1655 and dmunson like this.
  16. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I always change strings one at a time just out of habit. Not sure if it matters but I've never had a problem on any of my 8 by doing it that way including one with a Floyd Rose.

dmunson likes this.
  17. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Wishful thinking. I've never seen the arm move once the setup was complete.

18. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I would almost put money on this solution. That guitar, with the proper relief will have no problem with 10's. I use then quite a bit. But, if the vibrato handle is too high for your comfort, softer springs are available. In fact, I'm waiting for one right now.

Wjensen likes this.
  19. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    If the bridge base comes off, sometimes you can put it on backwards.

The tell-tale sign is that there is a gap between the end of one side of the base and the top of the guitar.

I suggest only change one string at a time.

Is the bridge pinned?

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  20. Wr426f

Wr426f Electromatic

Dec 13, 2018
    Belgium
    So what did i do after all your suggestions, where i am thankfull for: i putt on a new set of 11-49, mutch better!
    I've changed them one at the time now : lesson learned!
    I did not like the sound of the 10-46 on this guitar, even after a few days. I've putt them on my other guitar, so eventually win-win ,

Tnx,
    Danny

audept and MotorCentaur like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice