G5422G-12 thoughts

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Winterwind, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    There are very few videos for this and the best is on the Gretsch site.

I'm having second thoughts about getting a Danelectro, despise the look of Fender 12s and I've had two Rics in the past.

I don't doubt it's a good guitar. Hell, it's a Gretsch. But I noticed from the pics that it has a six saddle bridge. How well do these intonate. The first thing I did with my Rics was put 12 saddle bridges on them.

Are the Gretsch 12s alright with just six saddles? Or is there a 12 saddle variant I could get? I won't be playing too high up the neck too often but will occasionally capo at the 5th or 7th fret.

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Wish I could help, but it has 6 strings too many, for me to comprehend...:(;)

Howard hughes, section2 and new6659 like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I don't know the answer to your question, but if you're shopping for an electric 12-string, take a look at the Hagstrom Viking 12 while you're at it. I have a Hagstrom 6-string, and I can't say enough good things about it. Build quality, fit and finish are all excellent. Worth checking out!

4. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Great question, we have a 5422-DC12, and the saddle has two slots for the two strings, you are correct the saddle is a 6 position. We have noticed this arrangement to work very well with standard Elixir 12 string sets. If you go to a custom set with mis-matched octave strings, this may be an issue. This arrangement is logical becasue as you already know, the first 8 low strings are an octave apart, and the first four are matched. This guitar is a heck of a player, especially for the money. However, it took three attempts to intonate over the first four months, probably due to shipping and humidity changes. My son prefers the neck on the Gretsch to the neck on our Ric. If you have the opportunity to play one before you buy, be sure to bring a tuner, or ask to borrow one. Like any display model, many of these have been played hard and hung up wet, so you may not get the sound that these can produce.
    Checking out our Ric, it does have a saddle for every string. Today's technology is so much more consistent, including strings, so maybe that is helping. Honestly for the value if you feel the need the independent saddles, you could probably replace it, and still pay less than for a Ric. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

The Gretsch site says the 12 is strung with 11-49 but as far as I know Gretsch stock strings are D'Addario and they only make 10-46 for 12 strings. Must be a typo.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's funny how this is brought up as I was also thinking about intonation and possible replacing my bridge too . I've had the guitar about 2-3 months now and after having my strings changed on my Martin 12, I was thinking about a string change on the Gretsch 12 . Yes , it's a 6 saddle bridge and it just makes sense to me about a 12 saddle bridge .
    Let me also say that after playing so many 12's , my final choice was the Gretsch . What came close was a D'Angelico Hollow Body 12 . The D'Angelico was a little more chimier and it's weight was a little more than the Gretsch too . And the neck was a little slimmer also . D'Angelico has really come a long way latley and are producing some fine instruments . In fact I almost bought their acoustic 12 but decided on my Martin D12-28 instead . But definitely the D'Angelico is something you should try and look into if you can .
    For me , the Danelectro just wasn't for me . Nice guitar but just didn't " speak " to me . Honestly , to me , it resembles a toy . A Rickenbacker was just out of my league considering the prices of them , and to this day I've never even held one in my hands . For that kind of money I hope someday to own a Country Gentlemen 12 string .. but we'll see .
    I'm very pleased and happy with my G5422G-12-FSR ( FSR is Factory Special Run , but I'm sure you know that , please don't take offense ) The Special Run refers to the color which I just love , blonde . I tried it and compared it side by side with the D'Angelico for about an hour one day at Guitar center and knew the Gretsch was for me . I purchased it through Musicians Friend , $200 cheaper then Guitar Center on sale , delivered to my door , no tax , no brainer .... I had a black one about 4 years ago and sold it as it mostly sat in the closet . Gretsch did something along the way as this blonde on just blows it away . I'm adding a photo but I hope it does not appear side ways .... here goes ...huraaaaay !! it worked on this photo IMG_1706 2.jpg

7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Oh , one more thing @Winterwind . If you do purchase one and find a 12 string bridge , please keep me informed .
    Thanks
    Rich

Howard hughes likes this.
  8. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Yeah, the blonde is nice. Very nice. The gold hardware fits better there imo. I don't like it that much on the black which is fine because if I go the Gretsch 12 route I'll go with the walnut. The gold works better there to my eye.

And I have a feeling a 12 saddle bridge would have to be custom made.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    While mrfix says the 12 string bridges are ok if you get this G5422 I suggest you upgrade it with a custom made Compton or Tru-arc bridge for an additional $100.

This simple upgrade makes a big improvement to all the 54 series imo

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I'm going to look into this . Thanks @Waxhead for the heads up

Waxhead likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yea , this is driving me nuts because I want to change the strings on mine ( there factory installed ) and I can't find any one who manufactures 11-49 string for a 12 string electric ... aggghhhh

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    @Winterwind , just an FYI ... I just spoke with a customer service rep at Gretsch . Yes , it is a typo on the Gretsch web sight . The G5422G-12 is in fact strung with NPS 10's . ( Nickel Plated Steel ) He recommended D'Addario . I'm thinking D'Addario EXL-150 Nickel Wound Light is what I'm after

Winterwind likes this.
  13. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I figured it must be. Just seemed like extra tension for a 12. Good to know though for sure though.

thunder58 likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    yea , in fact he did say 11's are too much tension .

Winterwind likes this.
  15. Semolinapilchard

Semolinapilchard Electromatic

Apr 25, 2018
    Berkshire, UK
    Hi Winterwind. I may be a little late to this thread and perhaps you’ve already made your decision, but I thought I’d add my experience with the G5422G-12. I got a good deal on a black finish guitar last summer and I think it was marked down because it was (a) a 12-string, with a smaller target audience and (b) played pretty poorly. However, everything seemed good to me overall and I was convinced it just needed a good professional setup and a new set of strings.

The main problem was a poorly cut nut, which made the guitar hard to play in root chord positions and obviously didn’t help with intonation issues. Once this had been addressed and then setting up the guitar for a set of very light strings (I went with Ernine Ball 8s) it plays like a dream. Ive retained the stock saddle, had no issues with intonation and have gigged it without problem - even using a capo with the guitar for some numbers, with minimal re-tuning. The only minor issue I had was a the common problem of the high G string running a little sharp in the lower frets (such as when changing from a an open string in a G chord to a 2nd fretted A in a D chord), but that was mainly about being careful with finger pressure and can be controlled. Having said that, the EB 8s are extremely light and I may try swapping out the high G string from the stock set’s 14 to a 17. Just haven’t got round to it yet.

Overall I’d say this is an excellent guitar and almost everything can be addressed with a decent setup.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    @Semolinapilchard

I appreciate the feed back. I went with a Danelectro D59... $620 CDN, half the price of the Gretsch, one quarter the price of Ric 330/12... of which I've had two and it blows both Rics away.

@englishman Good to know because I may still get a Gretsch model down the road. If and when I'll check to see if they make them in gold as well since it'd look off when everything else on the guitar is.

thunder58 likes this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Allparts is their dealer here but they are out of stock, so I dunno.

thunder58 likes this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Thanks Eman

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice