G5420TG Stock Filterons are TOO WARM--What to do???

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by dubbldee, Nov 30, 2019 at 9:58 AM.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Good lord those look amazing.... You can ship them to me, I'll give you my address. I'll pay $5. I WANT THOSE

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    GFS, great value! I put a set of their Dream 90's in my 5122 as well, I'm really happy with the tone!

3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’m going to pretend I don’t detect the sarcasm there and direct you to their website- alamedaguitars.com. $400 per set and worth it.

4. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I agree there I’ve put dream 90s in a few Gretsch guits and they sound fantastic. The surf 90s won’t fit in a 5420 hole though without some routing

jfassett likes this.
  5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    No sarcasm. I genuinely want those but don't have the money to spend $400 on a pair of pups. damn. that's more than TVJs. I went to their website. Their guitars... are interesting?

6. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Ha! Very interesting. Really cool how they collapse like that. 400 is for the gold ones, the chrome are a little less. Like 360. Seriously though worth the investment. I have a set in a Streamliner and play that thing more than my prolines

7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Mel Waldorf is a member of the GDP. He sells his stuff here: https://alamedaguitars.com/

8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, dubbidee!
    Maple Leaf doormat.jpg

dubbldee likes this.
  9. dubbldee

dubbldee Electromatic

Saturday
    Bracebridge
    I've never heard of removing poles. Thats interesting .

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Nickel coated strings as opposed to pure nickel will brighten things up. They don't last as long but are usually a bit cheaper. Try Regular Stinkies, or Gibson Brite Wires.

11. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    It's been my experience that lowering the pickup away from the strings adds a noticible bit of articulation to the overall sound. That's actually true for every humbucker I've ever owned. Don't be afraid to drop the neck pickup down to the mounting ring elevation. It is a completely reversable process regardless.

section2 likes this.
  12. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Electromatic

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    In addition to lowering the action at the nut, I found D'Addario XL Chromes ECG25 flatwound strings made a world of difference in playability. I'm primarily an acoustic player, and the ability to slide my fingers on the strings without squeaking is amazing!

13. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    Flat wounds are going to make the tone WAY warmer, the OP is trying to get a brighter tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice