G5420T Pickguard ideas?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Spidey, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Spidey

Spidey Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    I've had my Orange G5420T for a few years. I thought the milky silver stock pickguard would grow on me. It kinda did, but I still look at it thinking it looks a bit out of place to me. Mine's all chrome, and when I see an orange one with all gold hardware the gold or black pickguard, it really does it for me. But I don't have the $'s to change all that out now. I look at the white pearl inlays on mine and I think, "Well, I could get a pearl pickguard to tie it in." Then I ask myself if that would be over kill on or not? I thought about about going with black which i really like, but I want mine to be a little different - make it mine and enjoy it but have it tasteful too.

I was wondering if anyone had already done this with theirs and would care to share pics? Or, if anyone had any ideas or suggestions of what else they would think would look good on this guitar? I like the aftermarket pickguards I've seen, but nothing stands out to me. I'm almost ready to open it up and put a new harness, pickups, pots and bridge in so I figure this is as good of a time as any to change these out too. Unless there's something I haven't seen, I figure I'll likely end up making my own rings and pickguard 'matching set' which I'm happy to do. So, feel free to recommend anything even if it's not available. I'm not asking anyone to decide for me, I'm just need help bouncing ideas around with somebody of like mind.

So far I'm thinking white pearl rings & pickguard set that gets as close to the inlays as possible. Does that sound like too much? I'd rather it be the creme or antique color pearl, closer to the binding because it looks so nice with the orange. But I think it would compete with the inlays too much. Not sure two pearls would look right anyway. I thought about tortoise shell,....hmmm. I just don't know. If I could change the fretboard inlays (just dreaming) that would be a game changer. Ha!

Thanks for reading and have a good one!

Attached Files:

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    A full length pic as well might give us a better idea of what we're dealing with. Looks ike a lovely guitar though.

3. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Join the club. If you look at Gibson 335's they typically have black or tortoise shell pickguards. From the original factory, Heritage 535's use pickguards made of wood, either to blend with or contrast the body color, like from maple or ebony, those look really nice. (google search for comparable images of those guitars)

Gretsch has their own unique colors (and body shapes :) ) to blend with the chrome or gold hardware, etc. But, I am kind of partial to black or tortoise shell to contrast with the wood, or maybe clear to let it show through. I would take it off completely, but I am a pinky planter, and need a place to rest my pinky finger. I never had this issue with my acoustic guitars.

Spidey likes this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I like cream, I put a Quickguards one on my 5420 and more along your guitar lines my orange 5622 came with a nice vintage cream pickguard

F792CD3A-8009-4F48-B3D8-4ECD7E06A197.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Clear guards are an option to show off a great color or grain.

Zeek, unknown fan and section2 like this.
  6. Spidey

Spidey Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    There yuh go Gregor. Yup, that's the pickguard cover film 'still' on. A friend and myself got our Gretsch's around the same time and somehow ended up challenging each other who could tolerate it the longest before taring it off. There's was a lot of $**t talk and a case of beer at risk, so I can't lose this one or I'll never here the end of it. We've gotten some mileage out of it. I've considered gently peeling back the corner of his, when he's out of the room and makin sure it doesn't stick back on - so it'll just hang there and bug him. I'm getting sick of mine, about ready to take it off and lose. ha! A this photo angle the pickguard looks pretty nice. No pasty silver color. I'm hanging onto it, I just want to change things up. It would also be fun to do a truss rod cover too. Mine just disappears into the black head stock. Nothin' wrong with that. I just already have plenty blk on blk on other guitars.

I really do like both creme and clear too, but I was hoping for something different. Since I already that on other guitars. Like to try something new.

Attached Files:

7. Spidey

Spidey Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    ==================================================================================

Yah, I have a pinky kickstand I can't get away from also. Gibson and Heritage, heck yah! I love the look of them both. I have a Hagstrom (similar to Gibs) with the same blk and it really ties in well - just plain sexy. The wood on wood Heritage was a consideration. I have a Violin Burst Artcore that pulls off the wood pickguard. I thought about going with wood, but the orange makes that harder. Although it's not off the table entirely just yet. I could make it a couple shades lighter (or darker) to contrast and not look so flat form a distance. But it might look like a giant cremesicle. As for flat colors, creme and black are my favs.

Attached Files:

RoyClark and GlenP like this.
  8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    To me cream is the only choice besides naked ;)

9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    7A418E99-6464-4DE7-AB90-4FA824119B82.jpeg
    I think black on orange looks cool, but I love Halloween.
    I would have gone with a black guard on my vintage orange 5420, but I opted for a clear one to not hide the beautiful wood grain.

10. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

Go Spidey and take Borderradios stuff !!!;)

Spidey likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Get a few different pick guards .......On my old 5120 , I would change over every once in a while a clear pickgurad and then I would swap it out and put the white pickguard on .
    The guitar was black . Everytime I did that I felt like I had a new guitar :)

Gregor likes this.
  12. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    One of these days I'm going to make some wood ones on my CNC router. What with dyes and stains, not to mention CNC, the sky is the limit for what I can do.

johnny g likes this.
  13. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Thanks for the picture, Spidey. Your idea of a different truss cover is a good one. Maybe try to match the inlays or whatever. Just gave myself an idea as mine is black and just blends into the black headstock. My first choice on the pickguard would be clear or none if you don't anchor(check calebarron's pic). I think it's a shame to cover the f-hole and grain but that's just me. Otherwise my color choice would probably be black to match the headstock. Boring I know but again that's me, as my wife will attest. Beautiful guitar whatever you do!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  14. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Or be different...

imageedit_1_7010356847.jpg

15. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    A little gold looks good with orange! IMG_20190509_093430_hdr.jpg

unknown fan, Outlaw, Flouswa and 4 others like this.
  16. Spidey

Spidey Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Man, that gold looks better with the chrome than I thought it would've. I agree, the F-Hole gettin' covered up seems a shame. The more I see your guy's guitars with the clear Pickguards, it's 'reallly' growin on me fast. Maybe Pearl would be too much. I found a guy on here by accident when looking for pics of pearl combo Gretsch's. He had the same issue. not sure how that turned out, but I do like the Black, gold or creme. Tortoise still in the back of my mind, nagging. Can't really go wrong with either, I guess. Thanks for giving me something to think about. Much appreciated.

jfassett likes this.
  17. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    5A1F246E-9A74-493D-9877-B700190CD286.jpeg 54FED378-67DA-4ACD-AA62-14E40CBC8713.jpeg DFB853DC-4245-4752-91C8-88DA757DA644.jpeg Here’s another example of gold with chrome hardware. Pickguard and rings are Gretsch, truss rod cover is from Quickguard.

18. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I took it off on mine. I don't see me putting it on again, as she really looks nice without. That would only require ... not putting it on again after the mods you plan to do anyway - at least worth trying.

It makes the guitar look more symmetrical, and I like that ... and didn't think the kind-of-golden colour ... some light golden brown ... would match the golden hardware ... but a really golden one, like gold plated, would be far over my top, so I decided to just take it off, give it a try and decide later - decided ... no pickguard on she!

calebaaron666 and Gregor like this.
  19. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    6BBC0161-A710-45FF-B8C4-7F853246CC1E.jpeg I went with vintage Gretsch Chet Atkins pick guards.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice