G5420T has very little sparkle or twang

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by XxLove_PandaxX, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You need to use spacers to raise the height of the pickups.

2. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    How high is the string action? Have you done a complete setup? Truss rod adjusted properly, bridge height, etc?
    Pic’s would help showing string to fretboard and string to each pickup height.
    Pic’s in general are always welcomed here :D

3. DrewFOB

DrewFOB Newbie

Apr 3, 2019
    Merrimack, NH
    Silly me neglected to ponder a bridge adjustment.

Thanks everyone!

4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Pickups set at an optimal height? I've read that it can be a narrow range, but they do sort of snap into focus.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m glad you are starting to find that twang you are after.

I’m kind of the exception in the Gretsch world, I really like my 5420 with those Blacktops because it is a warmer tone than my other Gretschs.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  6. Noparadise

Noparadise Electromatic

Jan 29, 2017
    UK
    When I bought my 5420t it played well acoustically, but the plugged in sound was not what I had hoped for, muddy and just meh. I guess the production budget doesn't stretch to the finessing of all those little screws by ear to get that great Gretsch sound. After adjusting the pickup height I spent a *lot* of time tweaking the pole pieces. My method was this. First, one pickup at a time, to get the volume balanced by moving both screws for each string. Then changing the sound by adjusting the inner and outer screws 1/4 turn out and in (or less) respectively, then playing a while through a very clean amp, and repeat. After that exploring the balance between pickups - and more adjustments. I still sometimes tweak it a bit for different strings, bit generally it's a different animal and sounds like I wanted it to all along.

7. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I think it's a matter of amp, too.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. MickeyB

MickeyB Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    Birmingham England UK
    I have a 2012 5420T with blacktops with chrome pickup surrounds, which I guess hide the standard PAF -sized hole that the first pickups of the 5120 model used. With the height adjustment maxed out we are still well low so I'm thinking of having a couple of spacers made to fit below the chrome surrounds.

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    Could someone please give a more descriptive answer on adding the spacers?
    I’d like to try this. Not exactly sure where to start. Would rather follow a step by step as opposed to taking a blind stab at it. Thanks.

10. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I had the same experience when I put TV Classics on my 5420 T.. night and day!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice