G5420T has very little sparkle or twang

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by XxLove_PandaxX, Apr 24, 2018.

1. XxLove_PandaxX

XxLove_PandaxX Electromatic

Apr 24, 2018
    Salt Lake City
    Hi! I’m having an issue with my G5420T where the tone has very little high end sparkle or twang on the bridge pickup, even with tone and volume cranked up. The neck pickup is almost unusably dark, and there’s a noticeable volume drop between bridge and neck pickup.

It’s completely stock, factory setup. Any ideas on where I should start to diagnose and fix?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
  3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Squirt some contact cleaner on the pickup switch. A dry joint could cause that problem.

Waxhead and XxLove_PandaxX like this.
  4. XxLove_PandaxX

Apr 24, 2018
    Salt Lake City
    Appreciate the suggestions so far, will try both. Open to additional thoughts.

dlew919 likes this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Strings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    What color is it? if its Blue or that Gold and Maroon mix, I'll take it.

Wjensen and dlew919 like this.
  7. XxLove_PandaxX

Apr 24, 2018
    Salt Lake City
    Sorry - Orange. And quite stunning to behold, at that.

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk XxLove_PandaxX!

I would make sure you have the action that you want, and then set the pickups, as was recommended by rockinforJesus. There are other things you can do, like adjusting the pole pieces, or raising the treble side of the pickup, but I wouldn't go there until I have the basic adjustment right. If you got it new, you might even take it back to the shop where you bought it, tell them something seems wrong with the guitar. If they have good customer service, they might even do a setup for you to make sure you're happy with your purchase.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree that these are great suggestions, adjusting the pole pieces and cleaning or replacing the strings usually brings the sparkle back. If you like a lot of high tone like we do, we use bright strings with stainless or nickel. If your strings tend to lose their brightness after a couple of weeks, you can try coated strings like Elixirs or D'addario EXP strings they tend to keep their brightness longer than non-coated strings.

XxLove_PandaxX likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, XxLove_PandaxX!
    welcome mat 44.jpg

11. Peavman1

Peavman1 Electromatic

Mar 5, 2018
    San Gabriel, CA
    I had the same problem. the thing that made the most difference was changing my amp settings, bass at 3, treble at 7, but even then it just wasn't quite there. finally ordered a set of TV Jones Classics, and bingo! like night and day. fixed all the issues you are talking about, twangier brighter tone, bridge slightly louder than neck pickup (as it should be). now i find i have to back the treble off a bit as it can get too bright. I'm completely satisfied gretsch1.jpg gretsch2.jpg that I pulled the trigger on the TV Classics!

b80_, SnowStorm, NickGretsch and 2 others like this.
  12. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    You shouldn't have to put in new pickups to get a twangier sound.
    I have the G5420TG. The only thing I changed was to a alluminum bridge (Bigsby) and that gives me plenty of bright twang! I also added D'addario 11 flatwounds.

Ricochet, pmac11 and XxLove_PandaxX like this.
  13. XxLove_PandaxX

Apr 24, 2018
    Salt Lake City
    Hi gents - very much appreciate the thoughtful suggestions. Courtesy of the TV Jones pup height recommendations, I found mine were a little low. A little adjustment went a long way and now there’s plenty of twang. Made a few tweaks to the truss rod and action and now it’s playing and sounding like I’ve always wanted.

Wjensen, sh4rkbyt3, dlew919 and 8 others like this.
  14. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    That's terrific! Glad it worked out for you . Have fun!

15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Great news! It's nice when you can improve tone with a couple twists of a screw driver, rather than a couple hundred dollars.

16. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    I never thought Filtertron equipped Gretsches had any "twang". I think it is a popular misconception, kind of like thinking all French are rude or that all Irish are drunks. Everyone knows it's actually the Dutch who are rude and the English drunks.

MarkyMac, j.s.c, Hammerhead and 2 others like this.
  17. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA

18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Dutch certainly have a mostly honest directness that is easy to mistake for rudeness. Since the terms are so closely related it just has become convenient to use interchangeably. :)

19. XxLove_PandaxX

Apr 24, 2018
    Salt Lake City
    Not sure how else I’d describe it in a single word other than “twang”. It’s a bright sound, in a pleasant, warm, rubbery sort of way. The thing I like about the “Gretsch-twang” vs a “tele-twang” (obviously painting in broad strokes here) is that, to my ears, the filtertrons chop off a lot of the sharp highs and woofy low end to get a much more focused, round sound than you’d get from a beefy tele single coil.

Very happy to be hearing those characteristics from my 5420T now that it’s been adjusted.

dlew919 and j.s.c like this.
  20. DrewFOB

DrewFOB Newbie

Apr 3, 2019
    Merrimack, NH
    New G5420t owner here. I noticed my factory set up had noticeably less pickup output than my single coil guitars. I started investigating YouTube and discovered forum. Seems like people recommend raising the pickups quite a bit - to TVJones recommended height. Problem is I’ve maxed out how far I can raise the pickup and I’m still not even close to the the recommended height.

Any suggestions?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice