G5420 pots.

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by MickeyB, May 22, 2019.

1. MickeyB

MickeyB Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    Birmingham England UK
    The pots on 2012 my black G5420 seem pretty much on or off with a limited amount of usable "turnability!" I presume the value is 500k? I note that those on the latest models are much better in this respect. Can anyone recommend a make of pot with a better taper that suits these blacktop pickups better. I've noted that with pickups that have little middle it does appear that the volume drops off rapidly and even changing to CTS sometimes doesn't cure this. I've also heard that changing to a linear or B taper might work instead of the usual Log or A?

Any comments; what have you guys tried?

2. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Linear pots are the way to go. Taper pots drop off 70% in the first 30° of rotation. (Approx...every brand is different, but they all drop off very quickly!)

3. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I tried some Bourn's pots on my stratopeavy guitar mod and I like them. Cost a little more than CTS.

4. dmunson

dmunson Electromatic

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I have to agree, any linear pot that you choose will provide a better range of adjustability. I have to wonder if this is the reason for current guitars being more responsive to volume and tone controls.
    I know that Stew-Mack offers a nice variety of good pots, so you might check them out.

5. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I had the opposite experience with the tone pots on my 5620T. The stock pots were linear, and they were pretty much on/off. They did nothing for the first 80 or 90 per cent of the travel, and then turned the sound to instant mud after that. I replaced them with CTS 500k audio taper pots and found that they were much more responsive. Turning down the pots halfway now sounds like I've rolled off the tone halfway.

benjwri likes this.
  6. MickeyB

MickeyB Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    Birmingham England UK
    Thanks guys, anyone tried a reverse taper pot?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice