G5220

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Chris MC, Aug 15, 2019 at 4:54 AM.

1. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    So I have picked up and played three of these in Guitar shops now, and each one has been very nearly perfect. They look superb, great weight feel and all three have been well set up with very nice low action. Frets seem really good, not too high and chunky. The hard tail would be perfect for what I mostly play.$990 ticket price in Australian stores, though I suspect you could get 100 taken off that. Its really not very fair, I already have 11 guitars...

The gold and the jade look amazing with the contrast to the mahogany back.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Don't hesitate @Chris MC - the G5220 is a very cool and good guitar !

Here's mine after modifications : the "Custom Jet"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She plays flawlessly. :cool::)

A+!

Outlaw, Merc, thunder58 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Go for it!!! Then come back and show us pics

Merc likes this.
  4. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have one of these sitting in a case waiting for mod parts. The mods are related to personal preference and boredom, though, and not to correct anything unusable or defective. Electromatics are why I’m into Gretsch guitars. They’re of much higher quality than Fenders or Epiphones in the same price range, and at this price point, I feel comfortable tweaking them to get the options I want. Pro Lines are fun to look at, and are extremely well made, but they’re pricey for me, so unless Gretsch comes out with a Black Falcon with a Supertron neck pickup and cool wiring options, I doubt I’ll ever own a pro-line.

Outlaw and GlenP like this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    G5220.png

Here's mine. This is a wonderful guitar. Note that some of the stain has worn on the fingerboard but I think that is kind of cool!

Merc and thunder58 like this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Electromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    So, it's not just me with that impression. I really can't say that I have done a lot of current research on this myself, but with the little time I have spent with a few of these different guitars in hand at the local music store, I seem to come away with that impression too. Although, I do think the current Epiphones and Squiers have improved over the years since back in the day, just not sure that they stack up as well to a Gretsch in the same price range. I wish I had some hard evidence or objective criteria to back that up, but I really don't, maybe just my personal bias. But that's sort of how I ended up with a Gretsch and wound up here. For a long while I was planning on picking up an Epiphone Dot, or even a Sheraton, I just never felt that connection with one.

7. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Epiphone and Fender have closed the gap a bit, and after ten years, there’s probably as much bias as anything else backing up my perception of Electromatics. My thoughts as of last week when I picked out my 5220, however, were that there’s still a few hundred dollars separating a 5220 from the most comparable Epiphone Les Paul. When I bought my 5122, I wasn’t even originally thinking about a Gretsch, but was disappointed in the quality of the Epiphones. By way of example, neither the Electromatic nor the Epiphone had bound F-holes, but the Epiphones looked like the holes were hacked in after the nitro finish dried. Little things like that added up. I wanted a semi-hollow Gibson sounding guitar, but ended up more impressed with the hollow body Gretsch.

GlenP likes this.
  8. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Funny there are two discussions going now regarding the 5220 and another with the Broadway jade double jet. I have both and the 5220 is a much better guitar, I love it!

9. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    You guys are no help at all, now I have put some money down on a gold 5220.

I was hoping you would say things like, you can only play one at a time, or anything you can play on a 5220, you can play on your 5420....

Outlaw, Charlie westside and jfassett like this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    You won't regret it, trust me - especially for the price ! ;)

Mine, before and after :

[​IMG]

A+!

11. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Looks great, no need for the dreaded tension bar?

12. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    ........and here's mine. Didn't care for the oem pickguard(a bit too flimsy for my liking)Also I was getting some static in the winter although I did solve that. I made a custom one in black to match the headstock and pups. A bit larger and thicker. Some folks don't like the V tail but, as in new6659's photo, when in playing position, it says "greater than....(fill in the blank)" and it also points to the washroom.:D
    It's a great guitar. I'm sure you'll love it Chris.
    IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 10:22 AM
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Black guard looks great on there Gregor!

Charlie westside likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    can I throw mine on here ? , thanks . I haven't done a NGD thread yet , but the guitar is at my luthiers right now . Hope it qualifies IMG_2151.JPG

15. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Actually, if you only have eleven, maybe now twelve, guitars, it's time to get serious.

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I modified the B3LH Chassis for that - I described all the job in a matching thread, if you're interested in : http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/gretsch-jet-g5220lh-dcm-new-guitar-day.181375/

For sure ! :cool::cool::cool:

A+!

thunder58 likes this.
  17. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    :D The dilema.

18. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Oh man, That is Sweet!!!! That grain.
    Can't say enough about how beautiful that looks.

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Are those Blk tp Filters or Broad t's

thunder58 likes this.
  20. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Thanks JC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice