G5220 with a few changes

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Marktheblues, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Marktheblues

Marktheblues Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    . Looks good.

2. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Absolutely love the pickguard and how it pretty much hides the bracket. It was my only disappointment with this guitar(not enough to not buy it though). Always seemed to be a bit flimsy to me as well. I like the cutouts for the pups adjusting screw. Well done.

3. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I'm sure there's a few of us here that would love to purchase one of those pickguards!

new6659 likes this.
  4. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Jacks instrument service did a great job on it. I sent them a card template and a pic of a G6228, arrived two weeks later . I’m sure Paul Setzer could make one just as good. Since I put the pictures up on the forum I’ve upgraded the jack socket to a switch raft one.

jfassett likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi Marktheblues,

Can you tell me the exact thickness of your custom-made pickguard ? (in mm no issue)

It seems that the margin for thickness is shallow. Here are the pictures of my G5220 :

[​IMG]

Thanks to let me know how thick is your new pickguard, as accurately as possible, so I can compare. :)

A+!

Jena likes this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    If it had the script logo and Filtertrons(well I guess the bright white binding is a giveaway too), I’d almost think it really was a 6228.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Jena, new6659 and jfassett like this.
  7. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    This looks so great, nice work.

I have a G5220 in dark cherry arriving next week and since you've done all the hard work with creating the template, I may well piggy back your effort and see if they can make another one. They could do a whole batch going by how many people would probably want to put one on their guitar. I like the fact Gretsch moved the 'Electromatic' label to the pick guard rather than the headstock but these 5220's are so good I think they deserve a clean pick guard too!

Jena and jfassett like this.
  8. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Hi just measured it, its 2.5mm.

9. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    I could take my new pickguard off and trace around it for you if you like. The new pickguard was quite expensive for what it was but they made a superb job of it. I got a quote from KGB music in Birkenhead but it was nearly double.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fine, 2.5mm : I note it - thanks Marktheblues !

So that's +1mm, he original G5220 pickguard being 1.5mm.

A+!

11. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    NICE!

Where did you the "Custom Made" Plate from?

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi Darren1982,

I design these plates (vectorial drawing) and have them made locally by a workshop specialized in mechanical and laser engraving.

Here is the last edition of "the few changes" : the Lefty Special Limited Edition G5220TLH-DCM-CJ "Custom Jet" ! :p:rolleyes:;)

@Marktheblues : as you can see, I finally followed your path :cool:, but my new pickguard is only 1.5mm, like the original one, instead of 2.5mm for yours.

[​IMG]

@Darren1982 :

Upper = the new stop bar plate - laser engrvaved
    Lower = the old one, made in 1990 - mechanical engraved

[​IMG]

If you want the vector file for such a plate, let me know... ;)

A+!

Jena and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  13. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    @hcsterg Do you sell these plates?

If i was to buy a "G" Tailpiece would i need to change up the Tune o matic bridge? Any drilling needed etc?

I do like the V stop tail but i have seen a vintage 54 jet that has a "G" tailpiece and it looks the business!

14. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Nice pick guard, well done!

15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you Guys !

No, Darren, I don't sell nor make these plates, sorry it's definetly not my job :oops:... I can send you this vector file below (if it suits you) so you can contact an engraver workshop locally in UK to make it :

[​IMG]

You wouldn't need to change the bridge at all. You just have to check that the G tailpiece doesn't cover more or less the stop bar studs, just because it wouldn't be nice with a plate.

For fixing the plate, you simply use the stop bar studs with M8 screws, or you can buy (or make) a pair of reduction inserts M8 to M4, as used for installing small studs bridges. It's what I used on my G5220LH, conversely to the other I posted along with.

A+!

16. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I’d like a pick guard in gold please!
    Thanks Bruno

hcsterg likes this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I do not make pickguard, jfassett - but if you want the vectorial file of the contour to have it cut locally by an engraver workshop, no issue... Let me know if you want it LH or RH.

Note : this is for a G5220 fitted with standard size HS FT, BT FT or DCSHT pickups, not the BroadTrons that are wider.

A+!

Jena likes this.
  18. Looks REALLY fantastic . . .
    . . . 'cept "aged" pearl inlays though.
    I think it is great that I can not really tell the difference tactile between the EIR and pearl inlay frets, to my surprise.
    That looks interesting, A+ for innovation, but I can't imagine that the stain gets absorbed. Do your fingers get discolored playing . . . (?)

That custom plate is over the higher one of the Bigsby B50 holes on @hcsterg mods I think.

I have gone full circle on adding a Gretsch tailpiece . . .
    they have been hard to find and always only for righty 'cause of the hinge.
    You can't flip it like the Rickenbacker "R" tailpiece to go lefty - the regular tailpiece which Ric sells on the few lefty models they make - I was surprised.
    Only holes you would need to add for those tailpieces are tiny pilot holes if you want at the bottom,

Last edited: May 7, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice