G5220 with a few changes

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Marktheblues, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Marktheblues

Marktheblues Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    . Looks good.

2. Gregor

Gregor Electromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Absolutely love the pickguard and how it pretty much hides the bracket. It was my only disappointment with this guitar(not enough to not buy it though). Always seemed to be a bit flimsy to me as well. I like the cutouts for the pups adjusting screw. Well done.

3. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I'm sure there's a few of us here that would love to purchase one of those pickguards!

new6659 likes this.
  4. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Jacks instrument service did a great job on it. I sent them a card template and a pic of a G6228, arrived two weeks later . I’m sure Paul Setzer could make one just as good. Since I put the pictures up on the forum I’ve upgraded the jack socket to a switch raft one.

jfassett likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi Marktheblues,

Can you tell me the exact thickness of your custom-made pickguard ? (in mm no issue)

It seems that the margin for thickness is shallow. Here are the pictures of my G5220 :

[​IMG]

Thanks to let me know how thick is your new pickguard, as accurately as possible, so I can compare. :)

A+!

6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    If it had the script logo and Filtertrons(well I guess the bright white binding is a giveaway too), I’d almost think it really was a 6228.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    new6659 and jfassett like this.
  7. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Saturday
    Hastings, UK
    This looks so great, nice work.

I have a G5220 in dark cherry arriving next week and since you've done all the hard work with creating the template, I may well piggy back your effort and see if they can make another one. They could do a whole batch going by how many people would probably want to put one on their guitar. I like the fact Gretsch moved the 'Electromatic' label to the pick guard rather than the headstock but these 5220's are so good I think they deserve a clean pick guard too!

jfassett likes this.
  8. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Hi just measured it, its 2.5mm.

9. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    I could take my new pickguard off and trace around it for you if you like. The new pickguard was quite expensive for what it was but they made a superb job of it. I got a quote from KGB music in Birkenhead but it was nearly double.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fine, 2.5mm : I note it - thanks Marktheblues !

So that's +1mm, he original G5220 pickguard being 1.5mm.

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice