G5220 with a few changes

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Marktheblues, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Marktheblues

Marktheblues Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Bought a G5220 around a month ago and decided on a few cosmetic upgrades would benefit the guitar. What does the forum think.

2. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Where did you get the pick guard and bezels? Looks good!

3. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    I wanted to go down the G6228 road with my 5220. Firstly I thought he cheap pickguard did the guitar no favours so got in touch with Jacks instrument services in Manchester U.K. I sent him a template to work off and the new pickguard came through the post last week, very pleased how well it turned out. The original tuners where O.K. they did the job but I've upgraded to a set of Gotohs . These have really improved the tuning greatly. I also have gently aged / stained the pearloid neck markers to go with the rest of the gold on the guitar. The worse job was removing the original silver paint from under the pickup rings before painting with matching gold paint to match the pickguard. I may at some point upgrade the pickup selector switch to a switchcraft, the original does its job but i'm used to something more solid like on my Gibsons.

LivingMyDream and jfassett like this.
  4. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Hi the pickguard was custom made for me and the bezels where done by me to match the guard.

5. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Get yourself some BT65 Broadtron pickups and you really have something there! The guitar looks great with the gold, nice job!

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I really like the gold bezels and pickguard! As to the new tuners, how much did you have to do to get them in? Any drilling?

I think the BT65 Broadtron pickups would be a great addition, but I didn't think they were available yet. If they are, I'd like to hear from someone on that.

7. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I put a set of these: NEW Gotoh SG381 3x3 Mini Tuning Keys, Metal Buttons - NICKEL in mine and they dropped right in, no drilling

Benturner83, BOBP and LivingMyDream like this.
  8. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I too have searched high and low for a set of BT65 Broadtrons with zero success.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  9. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    . The tuners are a straight swap, everything lines up a treat.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool,great looking geet sir!:cool:

The Dark Cherry is my fav colour on these.

11. Marktheblues

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Yes thanks, it plays as good as it looks.

12. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi Marktheblues,

Congratulations :cool: ! The G5220 is a wonderful guitar... ;)

I had a similar idea about your pickguard shape... But I did nothing for the moment... o_O

[​IMG]

The pickguard is still the same, but I added a Bigsby :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And like you, I changed the tuners. I also rebuilt the electronics, went for a new nut and a roller bridge.

A+!

Benturner83 and LivingMyDream like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice