G5127 Opinions?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by scrimmer, Apr 9, 2019.

1. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    What's up people.
    Just joined up and intro'd myself in the appropriate place.
    Am on the hunt for my first Gretsch and am really liking the looks of this one on CL in Asheville, NC.

https://asheville.craigslist.org/msg/d/fletcher-fs-ft-gretsch-g5127/6810481135.html

I live just a hair east of Charlotte and this is a 2+ hour jaunt for me, but no problem as a trip up there
    would give me a good reason to visit an old friend and get some mountain air!
    I have emailed the seller and am awaiting an answer.
    Don't know much about this model other than I LOVE that particular color (I know it looks better in person)
    The looks and that price are what really attract me. Don't mind spending more if need be though.
    I have a MIJ '62 Tele Custom RI w/ bigsby and I know how to deal with most tuning issues.
    Anything in particular to this model or Gretsches in general regarding the Bigs I need to be aware of?
    My research shows that model has DeArmond pickups. Correct? What is the consensus on these pups?
    Are they single coils? I like good cleans and I like the twang! How are these with some dirt?
    Except for once years ago, (I believe TV Jones were in it) I've really only played models with the newer modern Fulltrons and BroadTrons.
    Really liked the Fulltrons! BroadTrons weren't bad though.
    What kind of reputation do these have.
    Not currently playing in a band. Last one was plagued with A.D.S. - 'alkie drummer syndrome'.
    But eventually it would be played out occassionally. Not looking for a case queen but a real player.
    When I play out it's your basic rock, blues, country (and hopefully a little rockabilly soon).
    When I play at home I practice a lot of Chet style finger picking, and even get a little jazzy from time to time.

Thanks for any input.
    Cheers!

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The Dearmond single-coil 2000 pickups have that great twangy Gretsch sound. Plenty of love on this forum for those pickups and the baby blue 5127, it's one of the more sought-after colors of this model.

drmilktruck and Les Pedals like this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    These are really good guitars with really good pickups. The price is reasonable. Get on it, it's a winer.

Les Pedals likes this.
  4. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    I have that one in black, awesome guitar and great pickups. I hope you get it and welcome!

Les Pedals likes this.
  5. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    Welcome Scrimmer,
    I have 5127 and love the look and sound. The pickups are really something special. Price seems right in line, especially since they seem to be pretty hard to find.

6. Les Pedals

Les Pedals Gretschie

Mar 29, 2017
    South Jersey
    You can’t lose if it’s a sound axe!

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I drove about 2 hours to pick up my 5129 (the red version) from a craigslist ad back in September. It was the most worthwhile trip to Boston I’ve taken in the last decade, with the exception of seeing the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the Coolidge corner theater back in 2014.
    The DeArmond 2000’s are single coiled twangmonsters! I’m talking TwaaAAaaAAnngg!
    I never ran mine totally distorted, but they handle overdrive really well. They’re perfect for rockabilly, rock n’ roll, whatever.
    The neck pickup will get you a great warmer blues tone if you want it.
    If it’s in your budget, and your into the drive, get you some!

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome! Great Gretsch, a little of a modern classic. I just sold my gold sparkle version, because I really want this one in blue :)

SWoody and scrimmer like this.
  9. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Ooooh, now I'm really pumped! Waiting on an answer's gonna kill me.

Thanks so much for all the responses!

10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Not that you asked, but here’s Joan.
    986FA1C9-D5A3-4BC9-9FD0-603CBDF2D61F.jpeg

scrimmer and CousinWarsh like this.
  11. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    There is a Red 5129 on Ebay or Reverb for under $500. That one you are looking at is also on Reverb. He has changed the tuners to Gibson style. If you bide your time you'll find a 5125 or 5129 for around $500. One it that color sold recently on Reverb for around $500. Google search them and you'll find them as well. There are plenty of good deals out there it just takes patience and they pop up.

scrimmer likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The baby blue is one of the more sought after colours, and usually fetches a premium price. What's another 100 here or there if it's the one you really want. At top price, I'd like to see a case included if possible. Look out for the dark finish on the back and sides; it picks up polish swirls really easily. The rocking bridge can have a tendency to fall off its knife edges, so I normally file them a bit flatter and they still work fine.

scrimmer and drmilktruck like this.
  14. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    I got the sneaky suspicion that one's gone and he just never took the ad down. Kinda dumb on my part, but I just noticed it was posted 2 months ago.

BTW, Haven't I seen you hanging around some other corner of the interwebs before? ;)

BorderRadio likes this.
  15. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    Love mine... Played it this last weekend over in La Habra.

[​IMG]

calebaaron666 likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’d take @SWoody ‘s advice and take a look on reverb for any of the 5124-9 models. You can probably find a 5129 for a great price.

SWoody likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    You never know, my 'goldie' was on CL for just as long until I finally gave in.

Ah yeah, I'm here and there... :D

scrimmer and calebaaron666 like this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sounds like a good deal.

19. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice