G5122 Intonation Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by neonfall, Dec 10, 2019.

1. neonfall

neonfall Electromatic

Dec 10, 2019
    Europe
    Hello, newbie here,

I have a G5122 Electromatic and I recently wanted to switch from .9 to .11 string set, but the intonation got too bad (I am capable of rod tuning with standard bridge guitars).

For a new project will play, I have to use standard D tuning, and having not much knowledge about strings myself, local dealer offered me D'Addario EXL 116 11-52 saying it fits drop tunings. (https://www.daddario.com/products/g...16-nickel-wound-medium-topheavy-bottom-11-52/)

After putting on strings, I move on to intonation but I witnessed a scary -75 cent general different between open and 12th fret. Whatever combination i tried, the closest cent I have seen was -50 and not to break the rod, I stopped touching the guitar and here I am :D I did many truss rod ajustments in the past (first time with gretsch), but I have never seen this big difference before.

My fretboard is nearly straight and my bridge screws are about 0.5 cm high (~0.2 inch) right now.

After unsuccessful attempts to fix the rod, I have started to wonder fitness of strings with this guitar, or the health of my guitar neck.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    You don't normally adjust the the truss rod for intonation thats to set action and you might have to adjust if going from very light strings to heavy. Have you adjusted the bridge thats where you set intonation. Move the bridge base forward if notes are flat back if sharp. Easy with a floating bridge but very small movements, if pinned you need to adjust the bridge saddles.

Have a read of this which will guide you through the setup process.

http://gretschpages.com/news/mals-big-guide-guitar-setup-and-troubleshooting/

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    neonfall, jfassett and new6659 like this.
  3. neonfall

neonfall Electromatic

Dec 10, 2019
    Europe
    Ah I'm such a dumb, that actually worked very well, I have this guitar for 1.5 years and I always made it adjusted at a workshop, my first experience with a floating bridge didn't go too well, but thanks to you, now I am aware of what to do :D Thank you very much.

4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  5. Sean McILwaine

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Glad it helped. If I was you I would start with making sure your action is correct as it sounds like you have adjusted the truss rod and it might need less tension. The guide is good also lots of info on the forum and people like to help. Let us know how you get on.

neonfall likes this.
  6. neonfall

neonfall Electromatic

Dec 10, 2019
    Europe
    I managed to get ~5 cent differences between 0 and 12, though my bridge is little higher than usual, I will try to lower it tomorrow. Since strings are new and I messed with the rod, I will wait for strings and neck to settle down.

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, neonfall!
    welcome mat multi 2.jpg

neonfall likes this.
  8. Sean McILwaine

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Well done seems like your getting there. Best to sort out the action first and set the bridge once that’s settled. Take it slow and small adjustments. With the intonation do the two E strings first.

neonfall likes this.
  9. neonfall

neonfall Electromatic

Dec 10, 2019
    Europe
    Thanks for welcomes, I did it as you said and it came out pretty well, digging the new brighter tone after gentle .9's :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice