G3161

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DrRichie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. DrRichie

DrRichie Electromatic

Nov 2, 2008
    Sarasota, Florida
    What are people's experiences with the Gretsch Historic Series G3161? How would you compare it with an Electromatic G5125? I've seen both used in the $500 or so range. Thanks. Rich

2. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    One of the coolest looking gitars in the world. Cats eyes wow! Rockabilly machine with some mods. My mods are Bigsby, TV Jones Classic pups, Seperate volume and tone controls, master volume, custome Streamliner reverse rickenbacker truss rod cover, pin striped. Very very well built in Korea doesn't say electromatic just GRETSCH. Definately needs the filtron type pups at a minimum or it sounds like a Gibson with the Gretsch buckers which isn't all bad.

The 5125 is a 6120 wannabee with single coil DeArmond 2000 ok but not any where near a filtron or dynasonic. G3161 is a totally different cat with own stripes.

Attached Files:

3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    I have one and and I love it. They are better quality guitar in my opinion. If had the choice I would take the 3161

4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The Historic Series is a great series that was killed by FMIC. Their problem I think is that they weren't truly "historic" in the sense that they mixed and matched features, eg the Cat's Eye soundholes on a 6120 style guitar. You can buy them on eBay for a much better deal than Electromatics, especially compared to what they sold for.

5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    The G3156 would be the one to get if you didn't want to change pups. It has the bigsby and dynasonics and is white.

Attached Files:

6. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    The main problem with them not being historic correct ( according to Joe C.) was that the tops (which are 3ply) were to thick. The vintage had a much thinner 3 ply top.

7. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    or the 3140 ( I have one of those also) which is the same as the 3156, but without the Bigsby and is orange in color. BTW, I have the G3900 historic also! The next one will be the G3110:D

8. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    At a guitar show Sunday I saw a

-1990's era historic
    -gold
    - single pickup attached at the end of the neck

and

get ready

- FLORENTINE SINGLE CUTAWAY

Never seen one of those before.

9. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    That is most likely the G3900. Was it a small body? If so, that's what it was, a awesome guitar!

10. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    this one?

Attached Files:

11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Gretsch G3967

[​IMG]

12. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    And this is the G3900
    [​IMG][/IMG]

13. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    That's pretty sweet looking in it's own right. Like Scotty Moore, only not ;)

14. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Here is the G3140
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    If I had only known. I would have just had to drill one hole in the upper bout to move the switch and wire in master volume and intall the bigsby. Wired like a 6120 with tone pot.

16. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Yep, live and learn!

17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I had one of those too for awhile. True acoustic with the suspended pickup and knobs on the pickguard. Fun little guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice