G2627T, What's going on?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by dmunson, Jul 10, 2019.

1. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I found this model, 3 pickups with cat's eyes, hanging at GC this morning. When I came home to check out the specs, one site (GC) says it's new and not shipping till August 2019. Another site (Sweetwater) had no mention of it whatsowever, and the third site (Sam Ash) claims it's been discontinued.
    So do you guys have ant information about this model?

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There's nothing on the Gretsch website about it.

3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    It seems to be a factory special run for GC. My guess is that Gretsch had a stash of new-old-stock three-pickup 5622 bodies to get rid of, and they worked out a deal to outfit them with Broadtrons and sell them as Streamliners through GC.

4. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    That really sounds like the story. I've only seen two, and both were in GC shops. Funny that they were hanging there today, but the web site says they will not ship until August.

section2 likes this.
  5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    What was the price when you saw them? If I'm right about where the bodies came from, then these are one pickup-swap away from being Electromatics at Streamliner prices. Could be a real bargain.

6. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Tag said $599.99. Same on line.

section2 likes this.
  7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Not bad, but not cheap enough to make it a bargain—especially once you get into swapping pickups, knobs, etc. I'd pay the extra $120 for a new 5622. (Or better still, find one second-hand.)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  8. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Just recently, I was able to get a first generation G5622T (3 pickups and cat's eyes) used, and very dusty, for $475. Luckily, with a little cleanup, it's in mint condition. And it's the most verstile Gretsch I've ever owned.

section2 likes this.
  9. goldengleids

goldengleids Electromatic

Feb 11, 2019
    Miami, FL
    I saw it at GC a couple months back and posted about it. The neck is set deeper into the body like streamliners are. the neck felt exactly like me G2622T tho.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice