G2622T Serial Number

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Kidderman, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Kidderman

Kidderman Electromatic

Jul 15, 2019
    UK
    I just bought a used G2622T Flagstaff Sunset in great condition. I've started to do basic mods (Bigsby spring, knobs, pickup surrounds, pickguard, switch tip, tuners). I'm hoping that one of the G2622T owners out there can help me with a question regarding the content of the label inside the guitar under the top 'F' hole. The text in one of the lines on the label isn't clear. I'm guessing that it may be the serial number, but I may be wrong. On each line from the top downwards, the label reads: GRETSCH, then Streamliner, then G2622T/FS. It's the line immediately underneath that which isn't clear. I'd be very grateful if you could check the label on your guitars and post a response as to what should appear on the line underneath the model reference.

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome to the forum Kidderman , glad you found us
    That second line should be your serial number . Here's an example Unknown.png

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Kidderman !
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

4. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Welcome to the group!! Maybe this type label on a Streamliner.

IMG_20180928_132139.jpg

5. Kidderman

Kidderman Electromatic

Jul 15, 2019
    UK
    Thank you, dak55. That's further confirmation of where the serial number should be. I just bought a used G2622T in mint condition in Falstaff Sunset red. Couldn't find one for sale anywhere in the UK as that colour is now discontinued. I was delighted to find a used one for sale and snapped it up. Started modding it. That's when I discovered the label and the obliterated serial number. The seller claims he was given the guitar as a gift and hadn't noticed the cancelled out serial number. He assures me that it isn't stolen and reckons that the guitar may have originally been B-stock, hence the black marking over the serial number. I don't quite buy that theory, particularly as the guitar is in pristine condition and plays beautifully after a setup. I've decided to keep the guitar and continue with the planned mods. Will post a photo when it's all done. Appreciate your post, thanks again. 029.JPG

6. Kidderman

Kidderman Electromatic

Jul 15, 2019
    UK
    If anyone can hazard a guess as to why the serial number has been covered over, I’d be interested to hear any theories or known information.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  7. mapotofu

mapotofu Electromatic

May 1, 2018
    Chicago
    Two scenarios I can think of are 1) factory second and SN was removed by Gretsch to prevent sale as new 2) it was stolen and the SN was removed by thief to prevent claim by original owner.

8. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    The factory will typically put another label over the top of the S/N on a factory second not just mark it out, at least that's my experience. My guess is stolen.

9. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I meant to attach this image, but nonetheless, same deal.
    IMG_20190223_222241.jpg

10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    There is nothing sinister about it at all.

For many years, particularly in the 1990's, this was a common practice on factory blems and "seconds". I've purchased more than one instrument just like this... This first one being an Epiphone PR5E acoustic that I bought from a licensed Gibson dealer way back in 1994.... There have been others over the years. Sometimes the strikethrough is also accompanied by the word "USED", often handwritten in the same black Indelible marker.

Nowadays, on blemished models it's more common to see the original serial number defaced or obliterated and a non-factory number placed over it... This is the way MIRC does theirs.
    Yours is the first time I've seen seen a simple black marker strikethrough in a quite a while. Unusual, but not unheard of-- it depends entirely on who did the refurbishing. Also, it's important to keep in mind that while a guitar may look fine cosmetically, there are a multitude of reasons that may result in it being classified as B-stock... This often involves minor repairs that may have been made by a refurbisher prior to offering it for sale at a no-warranty discount. I have a couple of refurbished instruments that appear absolutely pristine, while a couple of others had obvious cosmetic defects.

The whole point is that a dealer can sell a slightly less-than-perfect but still serviceable instrument at a much deeper discount, sans factory warranty. There is an entire legitimate industry built around this practice, so while it may seem odd from an outsider's point of view, people in the wholesale/retail portion of the business know that it's a common thing.

Bottom line is that you're thinking too hard on this one. if you got a good deal, relax and enjoy it.;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    dak55 likes this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Gretschie

Apr 25, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy an MIRC refurb. My Squier VM Tele is such and the only thing wrong with it is the player.

12. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Agreed. I own two MIRC refurbished instruments, one of which is a Gretsch mandolin (see pic). They are still great players, and I have yet to find anything wrong with the mandolin, other than it simply needed a setup to my specs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Kidderman

Kidderman Electromatic

Jul 15, 2019
    UK
    It’s helpful to know that that there can be legitimate reasons why serial numbers get struck out, and that those reasons aren’t always apparent. In my case, I purchased the guitar online from a private seller who has been unable to provide me with any history, claiming that the guitar was given to him as a gift. At the end of the day, I know that it’s a really nice guitar which I bought in good faith. I’ll continue with my modding plan after which I intend to use and enjoy the guitar for years to come. Thanks again for the posts.

dak55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice