G2420t or G2622t?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jugoon88, Nov 5, 2016.

1. jugoon88

jugoon88 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2016
    Spain
    If I want the Fountains of Wayne sound, which one should I get?
    G2420t, single cut hollow body.
    G2622t, double cut semi hollow.
    Thanks.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd look at their amps and pedals first, to be honest. The difference between those two models is probably less great than the different gear they use. The sound of both models is gonna be a little left of Gretsch center too, but I'm sure it's serviceable. I'd go with a center-block to get a more solid-body response and ability to handle high volume and gain. But really, pick the one you like and inspires to play out more...just my 2 pesos.

fender62custom, LongJohn and ZackyDog like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, jugoon88!

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Exactly, because if you check out live videos you will find many different guitar models, from a Les Paul over Tele to single and double cut hollow bodies.

So I would choose the double cut for the better high fret access.

But as BR said ... choose what feels (!) better to you, so play both first before you decide.

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome to G-T!

From an interview, Chris Collingwood said about their guitars: “We’ve got about 10 different Gretsch models that we had lined up in the studio, not to mention James Iha’s collection of guitars, and we’d just use whichever one best fit the sound we were after,” notes Collingwood. “In other words, if it sounds like a Gretsch, it is a Gretsch, if it sounds like a Les Paul, it’s one of those, too.”

In other words, they have a lot of different sounds. I've seen pictures and videos of them using both single cut and double cuts, so I'd agree with everyone else: pick the one you like best.

6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  7. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    I was unaware fountains of WAYNE had a sound.

You Trollin?

8. jugoon88

jugoon88 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2016
    Spain
    Thanks.
    Maybe the g2622t is more versatile and suits better for those solos and more distorted sound.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ahh just wondering why a popular rock band would be using the cheapest & worst guitars in the whole gretsch range?? (ie 26 series streamliners) :)

10. jugoon88

jugoon88 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2016
    Spain
    Haha touché

11. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You are correct, the double cut allows better high fret access for solos and the center blcok allows higher gain without feedback, similar to my Gretsch Panther, which I chose exactly for those two reasons besides it's great sound. So yes, the 2622 is a better choice, than the 24xx models, which have no center block as it seems.

It's also worth, comparing to a 5622, which seems to have quite some fans here in the forum, maybe more than the Streamliners, which are entry level models. The 542x and 562x should be better guitars, but the price is noticably higher.

Because they get paid for the marketing? But do they really use Streamliners themselves ... so far I only I remembered demos, where they played Prolines, e.g in this video:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I don't believe they're really using Streamliners (except in promo vid's).
    There's plenty of pro-lines with centre blocks if you want one (by no means necessary for high gain anyway) and.............upper fret access is also the same as on many pro-lines and Electromatics

13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I think we can compare it with a Tele ... you can choose a Squier, Mexican or American Fender ... basic features are the same, but the quality level is different. As with other brands too ... there are entry levels, mid price and pro level.

A 2622 has several similarities to a Panther, but if you played both, you will know, why there is a huge price difference, right?

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah more or less - I notice a huge quality & tone difference between the 2622 and 5422 and then a smaller but significant difference up to pro lines :)

Best Gretsch imo for this band Fountains of Wayne is a 61 series Jet.
    No feedback, no centre block, light weight & rocks as great as a LP.

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    So in summary the answer is none of them because...............
    Fountains of Wayne are not recording with either of them

16. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The tone difference is mainly caused by the CB versus full hollow body design, I guess, as there's a similar difference between 5422 and 5622. And that the later have a better quality, than a Streamliner also isn't suprising, right ... it's around double the price.

It's a matter of taste ... a CB hollow body is also well suited, but has a more hollow sound than a Jet, right?

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes it's totally a matter of taste & is why I keep saying "in my opinion" or imo - but also appears you misunderstand me.

The tone & quality differences between Streamliners, Electromatics & Pro lines I'm referring to are not due to centre blocks being present or not. I'm talking about the huge differences in wood materials, pickups, craftsmanship, attention to detail, QA/QC and guitar design features.

Centre blocks are not needed anyhow in Gretsch imo as they don't feedback much and its easily controlled if they do. Centre blocks just make the guitars too heavy for no significant gain imo

18. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Craftsmanship and QC are definitely worth mentioning, yes. So yes, confirmed totally.

Easily controlled? So easily, that Billy Duffy put towels in his Falcon back in the days? ;)

It hugely depends ... play with high gain on a small stage and you will want a CB for sure. Play clean with low volume at home and you won't care, yes.

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've never had a Falcon and don't know why Billy D used towels but I have played my G5422 on small stages this year with a Mesa Boogie Mark V amp on high gain settings and didn't have any trouble with feedback. Yes easily controlled when you are careful where you stand in comparison to the amp & mute the strings (or bypass amp) in between songs :)

I really don't want a CB, makes the guitar too heavy.
    I play often with mid>>>high gain and really don't need it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice