G100BKCE Synchromatic – experience/advice

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Benturner83, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    It’s that time of the day when I rethink what guitar I need in the arsenal next. And I’ve currently got a yearning for one of these bad boys.

The thing is, here in the UK, it’s hard to find shops that stock anything other than the absolute mainline Gretsches - or anything else really. So I don’t know if I’d get a chance to try it before buying it. That’s where you come in. Thanks in advance!

Anyone got one of these and want to tell me about it? I’m not really a jazz player, more blues, folk and rock but depending on what I have read, it seems this will do the job.

I hear these come with flatwounds but lots of people put hybrids on. Again, any experiences you fine chaps have would be devoured with relish!

This video is strongly pushing the right buttons for me.

2. Nothing like the look of a hollow body guitar. I only played one. It had a poor set up. Acoustically you can hear it, but they are not projectors. Plugged in, well, once you plug in a neck pickup it could be almost any guitar. I was considering having a acoustic bridge pickup installed to give it more of a acoustic sound, and either blend the two or have two out puts. But thats me.

I still think that if you pick up a guitar and it speaks to you, thats the way to go. Hard to tell before you try one, and as much advice you may get on how it plays and sounds, you wont know till you have one.

Not sure if this helps at all. All i can say is that if it played better when i picked one up, i would have taken it home, as they look really good. There’s also an old thread here somewhere, where someone took a black model and polished it. It looked very different with a gloss.

Benturner83 likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I considered one in a search for an archtop that was more like an acoustic. The videos on line and the reviews are not that good. The pickup is "tinny and thin" reportedly. And fit and finish iffy also. Get the right one and maybe change the pickup and could be good maybe?
    The final round of guitars I considered were :
    G100BKCE
    Epiphone acoustic archtops (used) like the Emperor Regent, or Broadway regent with the floating pickup
    Washburn j600k .
    etc.
    Never did zero in on the right one. The Korean Epiphones from the 90's seemed very nice and decent priced a year ago. Right now they look over priced.

Benturner83 likes this.
  4. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    Thanks so much guys. My concerns too. I think I’m going to have to find one in a shop somewhere and give it a go.

There’s no denying a big part of the attraction is how darn beautiful it looks. Which, let’s face it can go a long way!

You guys rock.

5. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I had the proline big brother, a G6040JP which is like the G6040MCSS but a different colour. It had a single Filtertron pickup.

If you played classical jazz, like Charlie Christian or Wes Montgomery stuff, it would be a great instrument.

But I didn't play jazz so it never found a place for me to play. I traded mine for a Thinskin Jazzmaster. If you play folk and blues but not classical jazz then you might be disappointed by this guitar.

Benturner83 likes this.
  6. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    Funnily enough I’m really in the market for a Jazzmaster at the same time. Maybe that’s a sign and I should go for one of those first!

7. Rollie

Rollie Electromatic

Jan 12, 2010
    michigan
    Gotta have Jazzmaster! I had no idea what I was missing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benturner83 likes this.
  8. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    What about a Jaguar?

Benturner83 likes this.
  9. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    What model did you go for? So many options, it’s tough to decide!

10. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    Yeah, if I’m honest I’m in two minds between and Jazz and a Jag. Do you have a Jaguar?

So many beautiful guitars, so little time/money!

11. Rollie

Rollie Electromatic

Jan 12, 2010
    michigan
    I have the Classic Player Jazzmaster. Wanted a US vintage model, but got an insane deal with G&G hard case. It’s perfect. Upside is improved bridge and locking vibtrato, biggest problems with vintage models. Upside/ downside, hotter pickups. Depends on your ear. I love em, but they are a little noisy. I use a Boss noise gate so no prob. But at the price I got it for I could swap pups, but I like em so no bother. It is a MIM but the quality is outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benturner83 likes this.
  12. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I have two Jazzmasters (Thinskin and Thuston Moore) and an AVRI Jag. I much prefer the feel and the sound of the Jazzmasters but it's really going to be up to you. Jaguars are short 24 inch scale so the feel is different from a regular longer scale guitar.
    [​IMG]

Benturner83 likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The G100CE is primarily intended to play Jazz, like was the G3900 and now the G9555 New-Yorker.

For what the guy is playing on the video you posted, Benturner83, more or less any guitar will do the trick, and probably flat-top models with a magnetic pickup in the hole, or even with a piezo pickup in the bridge...

That said, yes, if you like the black (or natural) G100CE, go for it ! ;) Unfortunately, none were available LH... :(

I fell in love with a G100 and later a G400 - I wrote : fell in love, because they are rather Case Queen these times... :oops:

[​IMG]

A+!

Benturner83 likes this.
  14. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Yes I do. MIJ 2006 (Terada) with bound fingerboard and block inlays. Nice playing and good sounding but I have to admit a Jazzmaster would be nice too!
    upload_2019-6-9_21-5-45.png

Benturner83 and hcsterg like this.
  15. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    I've seen so much good stuff about the classic player. Like you, I've been in the market for a US vintage model for ages but I think it's just as much about the romance of a US vintage as it is anything else. And the classic player is probably the nicest to play when it comes to those JM issues!

Rollie likes this.
  16. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    Oh man. A pink Jazzmaster. Be still my beating heart! Can't tell you how many times I've written those very words into Reverb and kept my fingers crossed. What a beaut of a collection.

17. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    So true. To be honest, a lot of it is simply about how beautiful these guitars are. And let's face it, there are worse reasons for buying a guitar than its looks!

But like you, it would probably spend more time in the case than in the hand. Doesn't mean I'm not going to get one though. You never know, it might push me into some new hard core jazz territory. I feel like I might need to apologise to my neighbours in advance!

hcsterg likes this.
  18. Benturner83

Benturner83 Electromatic

Mar 16, 2019
    Hastings, UK
    Just look at it. Stunner.

Might need to start playing the lottery, or selling organs, I need them all!

new6659 and Wjensen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice