Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Fuzz pedals! Love em or hate em?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Cole Burr, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I wonder what the black glove on his right hand is all about ?

2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This one is so nice......

Nocturne 022.jpg

National19 likes this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Lobster claw?

4. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    OMG :confused: - I'm on a Fuzz journey - have 10 fuzz pedals and one on the way :p:eek::rolleyes:o_O

5. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You need to make a pedal board of fuzz man.

6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    And I thought I had problems......;)

7. David_D

David_D Gretschie

Oct 14, 2015
    New Jersey
    The only 2 songs I ever found a fuzz useful for was Satisfaction and Purple Haze. After that, it was just a noise maker for me.

8. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    oh if you have a DECENT Fuzz Face, and if you like Jimi, you will love it ! Jimis clean sounds (which I think are wonderful) are sometimes result of running his strat through a fuzz face and have the volume rolled back on his strat (and maybe a lower fuzz-setting). The Fuzz adds something really sparkly, soulful to the pure clean sound. Strat + Fuzz + Amp = magic. But there's much more to get out from a good fuzz. I primarily use fuzzes as an OD - I rarely dial in tons of fuzz. I think I have more dynamics and (at least for my ears nowadays) better sound. (And I was a die-hard-TS-player 10 years back.)

Biggest difference for me between OD and Fuzz: with an OD I sound like rock or blues, with the right fuzz I sound like 60ies and garage.

Of course some fuzzes are made for heavy noise. Some of 'em are cool too.

9. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    I have to add, that finding the right way to use a Fuzz can take some time & effort. But once you found it, it's an addiction.... Somebody warned me about that, I remember now ;)

10. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    He sure would. Most of us these days check out pedals on YouTube. May not be The way you do it, may not be the best way, but it is the easiest way and lots of different videos to view to get a well rounded idea what it can do. No reason to be a dick about it.

11. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Maybe it was cold.

12. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    You do

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

hmm very strange answer to a reasonable question put to someone else

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I have a fuzz fetish.. I did just sell of the original first issue 68' Big Muff though, got offered $900 to japan. So I will live w these other two. The Marveltone was made by Electroharmonix and relabeled.
    [​IMG]

jagROAR_63 and larryb like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    900 bux! Crazy, just crazy, i used to have one just like it.

16. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I have retired the Board of Doom from active service and have packed the key components away carefully. I'll hoik them next time GAS comes to visit.

[​IMG]

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  17. manunk

manunk Electromatic

I have a collection of 10 overdrive/distortion pedals, having bought them all used. Not one of them is noise-free so I'm hoping a Boss NS-2 will help. It's fun testing them all using my 4 electric guitars. To my ear, I can get fuzz, metal, and crunch from most of them with all of my guitars, from my cheap 1991 Yamaha RGX121 to my 6122-1959, with a tele and strat in between. My favourite tones are actually acoustic with delay, but the old hard stuff from the late-sixties on up to Metallica, is still in me and must be played out ! Sorries are always expressed to my fellow Christian friends but fun is fun eh.

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Huh I didn't think I would like that but I did!

Wulfgang likes this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fuzz, Fuzz, Fuzz...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of them are sold now, or offered as gifts... In fact, I did not used them often, the band where I play doesn't command much Fuzz tones, that's the reason why.

I nonetheless still keep the Doctor Fuzz (Si) and the Melodium Fuzz (Ge), along with a Big Muff Pi plus Tone Wicker and a standard big box Big Muff.

I had randomly experimented a project called "Radio-Fuzz", which mixed RF Short Waves interferences with fuzzed guitar signal... Both were interactive, and the RF interference could be tuned via the pots of the guitar : tone influenced noises, volume influenced tuning (and fuzz).

I did not built it, nor noted much informations about it... I should ! One day I'll be back to it...

My Fuzz tastes are the same as wildeman, so I don't use much my 2 BMP.

As mentioned some posts above by jagROAR_63, Fuzz pedals are somewhat tricky to use for acheiving the "good right" tone you expect...

A+!

Henry, jagROAR_63 and Waxhead like this.