Fun Acoustic Versions of Hit Tunes

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, May 15, 2019 at 4:25 PM.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I came across this on You Tube, the Bangles doing an acoustic version of Manic Monday from 2008. It probably has something to do with one of my all time music crushes, Susanna Hoffs, but I enjoyed it a lot. (Interesting that she drops the "Let's go make some noise" lyric.)

Other good acoustic versions of songs you can think of?

sh4rkbyt3 and LivingMyDream like this.
  2. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Nothing in particular, but I think playing a song you know well and usually play electric is really interesting. I like to do acoustic ("unplugged") gigs with my band from time to time, and I used to play in a full-acoustic band (voc, guit, bass, drums) for ten years. We did stuff like "Summer In The City" as well as "Purple Haze" and "Kiss". Now with the 6-piece bluesband it's different again - it's especially fun to see how our original songs turn out. The secret seems to be to slow down a little bit and get the songs swinging rather than driving, if that makes any sense.
    What bugs me (sorry, @drmilktruck ) is when acoustic versions of songs still are played on an electric bass. There are so many good acoustic basses out there...

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Yep, Susanna Hoffs' looks and voice drove quite a few of us into "crush" territory.

One of the more famous acoustic versions:

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    sh4rkbyt3, drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The Steve'n'Seagull version of AC/DCs Thunderstruck

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Rachel Price/Lake Street Dive does a great acoustic version of The Kink's "Lola".

Edit: Within an hour of posting this, guess what shows up on my YouTube feed....

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 11:22 AM
    drmilktruck likes this.

6. Pete Huttlinger. i taught a weekend at Jormas Fur Peace ranch a few years back with David Bromberg. At the end of the weekend, Pete put on a solo show. Explained how he came up with the arrangements to this song, and why its tricky. He plays the bass line, melody and horns. What’s worse is he smiles. He won the national finger picking championship a few years before this. He was a great, down to earth guy that enjoyed teaching, and was good at teaching. He left us too soon. Hard to tell in the video, but i believe he is connected to this device that keeps him alive. About a year before he had a run of bad health. At deaths door. Couldn’t play, or move for that matter. He worked his way back up to what you see here, then passed away shortly there after.

7. That was really good. I liked the sound, but dont know that much about them. Might give it a google.

8. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Rocket Man" by Iron Horse.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    "Sweet Home Alabama" by Walter Hego.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    One of my favorite things I always liked doing was taking a rock song and making it acoustic . Great thread

drmilktruck and Floo like this.
  11. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Yes, there is a lot of fun in breaking down a tune to the very essence - that would be tough to do with modern popmusic in most cases.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Hands off...she is mine:mad::D

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
  14. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Here are two very different versions of the same great song—from the same live album, no less.

There's a cool story behind the different recordings. At the height of their fame, Counting Crows were invited to do a live set for an episode of VH1 Storytellers. They agreed to do it, but set themselves a challenge: they would only play a song if they could come up with a radically different acoustic arrangement. They ended up releasing a great live album with one disc culled from an electric show and the other disc taken from the Storytellers set.

The electric version:

The acoustic version:

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Pistols at dawn, sir!

larryb likes this.
  16. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I will tell your wife:eek:

17. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Was bound to quote the Johnny Cash / Joe Strummer duo Redemption Song, but remember just in time that the Bob Marley original also is acoustic :)

Fortunately, I got a great back up:

Or would that require a specific thread for "(Very) Fun Mariachi Versions of Hit Tunes"?

18. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    And I also get that:

(I'm sticking to the "Fun" side of the thread :D)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice