Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 vs Rockett Archer

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by GodLevSky, Oct 11, 2017.

1. GodLevSky

GodLevSky Electromatic

Jun 7, 2016
    Poland
    Hello,

I have a KORG era Vox AC30TBX with Alnico Blues and a Gretsch Black Falcon with TV Classics.

I'm looking for an overdrive pedal and I've narrowed my choice down to Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and Rockett Archer.

Which of the two pedals sounds better through Vox ac30?

I want this pedal to add some grit to lightly driven amp as well as I want it to give me some boost in order to cut through the band.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    They're very different. So buy my Fulldrive 3 listed on here ;)

Just kidding.

Do you want a TS circuit, or something that's supposed to be more transparent/Klon-like and more of a transparent OD/boost... can really be used both ways.

I like the Fulldrive but don't like Tube screamers for the most part. Yet in terms of a Klon-Like pedal I chose the wampler Tumnus.

The fulldrive wont add more dimension/depth or touch-sensitivity. Will add some compression. Dirt pedal, with independent boost function.

The Archer will be the opposite. It will add depth/dimension, touch sensitivity, more pick attack/dynamic. Also adds a MIDS hump and light transistor grit which is to be dialed in or out to your taste. Transparent OD/ Boost.

3. GodLevSky

GodLevSky Electromatic

Jun 7, 2016
    Poland
    There's something muddy about Tube Screamers that I don't like but Fulldrive 2 seems to be one of the best choices for Vox amp - as we all know they are quite picky.

I just simply want to engage this pedal during solos and melodies, in order to add some magical grit and volume boost.

Which of the two does that better and sounds good through this amp?

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not the best of demos but the closest I could find...

Maybe think of the FD2 as a mild to medium overdrive that can boost, and the Klon(clone) primarily as a boost that can mildly overdrive?

5. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    The Klon is more like a transparent OD and a mids boost. It does add some transistor grit, but it can be dialed out.

The Fulldrive is just a slightly less hairy, or a smoother TS that doesn't crap out all the bass like a normal TS. Althought the Asymetrical Clipping mode was most of the reason I bought it so I wasn't even using it like a tubescreamer.

emicad likes this.
  6. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    With a Vox? Crowther Hot Cake. :)

zebulon likes this.
  7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I'm really diggin the OCD through my AC15, kepps tone intact, and boost range from clean kick to rage all over it.

rockinforJesus, zebulon and emicad like this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Put me in the Klon-a-like Kamp...

A good klone really does seem to do magic to my ears and as a rule they seem to be super useful as anything from a clean boost through more drive than I'd ever need when pushing one of the Vox/Marshall/Orange type amps. I kinda have a general objection to the term "transparrent OD" as there's plenty of coloration happening, but they really do seem to maintain and enhance the individual character of a given guitar and amp rather than overtaking them, to add dimension rather than flattening out the sound, and just about anything I plug into them seems to benefit from a significantly more detailed attack w/o a pinched/shrill/compressed type of sound.

I've got a bunch of the klones and probably my favorites overall to date are the Wampler Tumnus and the JRAD Rockaway Archer. They both work great w/ my AC30CCH and AC4HW.

zebulon likes this.
  9. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Any tip ls for a new Vox user? Having trouble--Without the OCD-- or any pedal - - - , trying to perfectly balance the full distorted "top boost", which I LOVE, as a super pick-responsive grunge,,, and the Crystal clean "normal channel" which I can dial in to chime wonderfully... For some reason, I'm having trouble achieving both with ABY switching set up. My cleans are too dirty, or my dirtys are too cleano_O

emicad likes this.
  10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I usually dial in for a good edge of breakup - light crunch on Top Boost or bridged channels and use one of the Klones dialed for output boost and a bit of drive to push it into dirtier territory. I can generally get a good chimey "clean" w/ that setup by turning off the Klone and rolling back a bit on the guitar volume and picking intensity.

One other potential way to address this using the channels independently is dropping a 5751 tube into the gain socket of the clean channel and cranking the channel volume on the Top Boost side. This should give you a bit later onset of breakup in the clean channel as the 5751 has about a 15% lower gain factor than a standard 12ax7. The NOS GE ones sound great too IME and used to be pretty affordable.

11. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    That Tumnus is something else isn't it?

Funny though. I NEVER have mine on my board... Lol AND it's also from the TS genetic pool. I use my Wamler Clarksdale a lot more than the Tumnus. Again. TS Genetics.

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    It's a pretty damn special pedal IMO. It's the most consistently awesome sounding klone I've tried, across a wide variety of guitars and amps and desired use (ie: sweetening clean boost, slightly hairy saturated "clean", classic crunch, face melting overdrive). The Rockaway has more options for tone shaping and is really close to as agreeable w/ a variety of gear, but seems a little happier doing the slight crunch through heavier drive sounds than the straight up clean boost IME.

It's kind of funny as I resisted them for years until I tried some for myself, now they're pretty much all the dirt I ever need w/ the British style amps.

I've never really got along w/ the TSs too well personally, but then again I've never wound up taking one home and really playing w/ them w/ my own stuff and/or in a band setting. Edit: Actually, thinking about it a bit more I had a Fulltone Secret Freq for about a month and a half before I put it up for sale. Not sure how far that one deviates from the standard TS approach though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    gtttrrr likes this.
  13. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    (1) This ^^^
    (2) If you want a Tube Screamer with control of your mids I heartily recommend the Wampler Paisley Drive with its 3-way mid switch (boost, flat, cut).
    (3) Unfortunately both pedals are a bit spendy!

14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Thanks, sorry to OP, didnt mean to hijack

15. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    I tried pretty much all the Klones available on the market and even if I like that kind of sound a lot, it's not for everyone and it doesn't work with any amp, exactly like Tube Screamers. Mid range is often too much with non-scooped amps and even if the circuit sounds very open, it can sound too much nasal and muddy in the "wrong" amp. I have a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia (Marshall) and a Morgan AC20 (Vox) and I prefer to use my Bondi Sick As as a booster with just a touch of gain instead of as an overdrive. Cranking the gain knob add mids and with those amps... it doesn't work very well. The Sick As have both treble and bass knobs so cranking those knobs helps getting a more balanced tone when it's too mid rangey. That's the only Klone I kept, the Tumnus was good but I didn't like tha bass boost that much.

Work on the clean channel and find your tone, than use your OCD or a Hot Cake (which sounds exactly like your Vox) to add dirt and manage output volume. That's the easiest way imho.

Or this.

gtttrrr likes this.
  16. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Electromatic

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    I have both and they are very different creatures. I've only played them through a fender DRRI so can't predict how well my experience relates to a Vox. The Archer has a very classic sound to me. With the drive at 11 o'clock or below it has a great, full blues/rock tone with lot's of character and detail which I think is its strength. It also has tons headroom, I keep the level at 9 0'clock and it's slamming the front end of the amp. The Fulldrive is really about breakup, no real transparency here, although it can do the push-the-front-end- with-only-a-little-bit-of-break-up thing by using the "flat mids" setting. I also use the Wampler Euphoria which comes close to doing both of the above. The Rockett Archer also stacks nicely in front of other pedals to get into some major thrashing. All of these pedals are pricey (by my budget) which makes it costly to experiment, but that's the price of buying quality, made in USA by Americans, gear. Happy tone hunting!