Freddie Green Style Comping

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Feb 3, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Inspired by my new guitar, I’ve been working up a simple chord melody version of My Old Flame. I also wanted to try a little comping underneath it, in the style of Freddie Green. I know it’s basically four quarter notes with a little more emphasis on the second and fourth, with lifting the left hand after each note to cut it off.. Anybody share any tips or YouTube videos or anything that can help?

Not going for this version though, :D.

Alberta_Slim, JParry335 and Freshy like this.
  2. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    1:40 of the first video, check out his string height

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    MF! And those are fat strings too.

Alberta_Slim, Freshy and JParry335 like this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Ouch! That’s slide territory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes indeed : Freddie Green was The Giant of archtop rhythm acoustic guitar, I admire him and his playing sincerely... Exceptional !

Big target, drmilktruck... I should follow you in that direction : it would please my G400, instead of letting her sleep quietly (and boringly) in her case... :eek::(

[​IMG]

A+!

6. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Freddie Green would typically go for the simplest chord available. Dropping out the 5th and the root on the chord are sometimes so obvious that he would leave these notes out.

Lee

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. Lee Erickson

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Oops!

Freshy likes this.
  8. Lee Erickson

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    How in the heck do you delete a post around here?

Freshy likes this.
  9. JParry335

JParry335 Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I don’t really have anything to help but my Dad played guitar with big bands on a local basis before he passed.
    Freddie was my Dad’s biggest influence.
    I have my Dad’s guitars of which he had a few but for gigging with the bands he sometimes used a ‘53 Gibson L50, but what he mainly used was a no name (probably a Kay) guitar from the 40’s with mile high action and telephone poles for strings. It has a DeArmond pickup on it but his amplification was minimal. That guitar is loud acoustically and when using the typically four note chord voicings mainly on the inside four strings Freddie style, he could cut through a full horn section chunking out that rhythm.
    I applaud you on your mission. Please post some tracks. I’d love to hear them.

Alberta_Slim, new6659 and Freshy like this.
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Freddie Green was the greatest. He was the soul of the Basie band and probably a big part of why they were so amazingly tight. Good solid rhythm playing is a very high calling for any guitarist.

I read an interview where he talked about using three note voicings in many situations. Three not chords, usually using the 3rd and 4th string and either the 5th or 6th strings on the bottom allow for quick changes between chords and for consistent voice leading.

Ranger Doug, of Riders in the Sky, has both a video and a book that teaches Green's approach to rhythm. I gave both a quick look years ago and have found them very useful.

While not specific to Green’s approach, I also recommend the Mickey Baker book, which has a good system which ustilizes a lot of four-note voicings.

11. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    At jazz rhythm playing Freddie Green was the master. And those guitars were loud.
    A few years back I had the pleasure of seeing another of my rhythm guitar heroes, Marty Grosz, during one of his trips to the UK. He was working in a duo with trumpeter Digby Fairweather and as a sort of warm-up gig they played a local country pub — I was about ten feet away. Here's Mr Grosz, in a small group setting, flying through (once they double the tempo) the old standard 'There'll Be Some Changes Made'. There are a hell of a lot of changes going on here!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ6cGxlVBGE

JParry335 and Alberta_Slim like this.

12. This is not the same style, but it was very helpful for me to get started on some new chord arrangements in a upbeat fun way. I am sure you have seen this guy before, and he shows you the chords on charts as he plays the part. This got me back into learning outside of what i was accustomed to, and then eventually led me over to Gypsy Jazz which i think has a great rhythm , but slightly different strum patterns.

drmilktruck and Alberta_Slim like this.
  13. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Loving this thread! Here's another nice little video lesson with Whit Smith:

drmilktruck and Andrew Griffin like this.
  14. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Hamilton, Ontario
    We used to think that Freddie played mostly 3 note chords, but with new technology that allows better eq'ing of recordings, we can better hear what he was actually playing, and research has emerged that contradicts this. Here is a link to a page that has a thorough analysis of Freddy's playing, complete with transcriptions. http://www.freddiegreen.org/index.html

Keep in mind that in your case, without a bass player, you can use more chromaticism as you don't have to worry about clashes with the bass line. To that end, here's a link to a transcription of Jim Hall's 4-to-the-bar playing on My Funny Valentine: http://stevekhan.com/funnyval1.htm

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    new6659, hotpepper01 and drmilktruck like this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That may be true, but I have read interviews where he talked about using three note chords. There are certain situations where they are quite effective. Whatever he used, he was an absolute master.

16. JParry335

JParry335 Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ
    THIS!!!!

17. NSM245

NSM245 Synchromatic

May 7, 2011
    Scotland
    Regarding whether Freddie played three note chords or single note 'tenor' lines, I'm pretty sure that he did both. I recall reading something he said about the number of players in the band - in a small group situation he played more notes than in a big band setting. It's easy enough on some of his small group recordings to hear clearly that he did indeed play chords as opposed to single note lines. Here's one example - (nothing to see, unfortunately, but the acoustic guitar can be heard without much difficulty.)

Alberta_Slim and drmilktruck like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

[​IMG]

new6659, Freshy and Alberta_Slim like this.
  19. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Hamilton, Ontario
    I didn't mean to suggest that he didn't play three note and larger chords. The transcriptions reveal that he played a variety of chord textures. The Freddie Green web site that I posted a link to is a great resource.

NSM245 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice