Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Frankenstrat Brainstorming !? Build Project :)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by jagROAR_63, Feb 15, 2017.

1. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    I got a nice MJT Body (swamp ash) in very nice seafoam green.

This will be a project without hurry (need to chose a gooooood neck for it). I already got some parts and have some pickups laying here... I want to try out some new things...

- regular strat PUPs
    - Jaguar Pickups (have some Novaks and a rewound vintage)
    - Hilo Trons
    - Dearmond gold / silver foil !?? Coronado PUPs !?
    - Filters ?
    - vintage Univox PUPs !?!?

Well - you might know the Coodercaster, which is a Ry Cooder modified Strat with a Lap-Steel PUP in the bridge and a gold foil in the neck, he modified it to his needs. I have no Coodercaster-GAS (anyway I'm not yet able to play slide), but with this project I want to try out new things... and hopefully discover something cooool :cool:

mess with wiring / different pot values...
    have multiple pickguards with different PUPs...

So if you guys have some experience with something similar or ideas, what to throw in, pls let me know !!! This project will be fun. I'm very curious, how my Hilos would sound in it, or waht can you guys tell me about some nice vintage Dearmonds, which are affordable (gold foils, silver foils, Coronado PUPs, etc.). Recommandations, advice, insults, etc.... is highly appreciated :)

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC

Waterslide Guitars do some interesting stuff. I had them build me a Telemaster a few years ago. The builder is also a fantastic player.

Here is one of his Coodercasters

Love the gold foil sound. Have fun and best of luck!

blueridgeguy, jagROAR_63 and organic like this.
  3. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sounds like fun.
    What is a MJT body?

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  4. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    BorderRadio likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool project. Whatever you do, don't go with regular Strat pickups :)
    I'd say the Jag pickups are the closest to Strats, so I don't think you'd get a lot of distinction there. I'm most interested in the Univox option. I also like gold foils myself, but haven't heard/played all the varieties, and none of the DeArmond models to date.

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  6. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I do like the CS 69 strat pickups, but they're not everyone's cup of tea. I don't know if you've ever played one, but I love the feel of the Classic Player 60s strat neck. Looks the vintage part too. I love the idea of having different assemblies to swap in and out. I'm intrigued by the FT option...humbuckers with the Gretsch clarity and sparkle? That sounds a little awesome!

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  7. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    Well Jag PUPs should be a little hotter than Strat PUPs (I guess) and Jags are usualle wired with 1 MegOhm Pots. So that should make a difference. I really love my Jag, but for non-surf you sometimes wish to have more sustain, so it might be interesting to throw some Jag-PUPs in there... :D

Of course others are more "exotic" and so... maybe more intersting. I have a Univox Ripper, which is a 70ies Strat copy (a quality product) with 3 Univox Humbuckers. I really like this axe in a band context ! Problem is to get some of these PUPs :confused:. Gold / silver foils / Coronado-Dearmonds are the most intesting combinations for me so far (but I dont have these here yet). The Hilos will probably be the first "weird" option to try :cool:...

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    Well regular Strat sets are also on the list. Will get a pickguard loaded with some pure vintage 65's. The custom 69 sound interesting to me, cause I'm a huge Jimi Fan (who isnt?)... Can you describe 'em ?

I would also love to try some Barknuckle "mother's milk" or "Veneer" Strat sets... Oh my so many options :eek::confused:

9. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    So you need pics, dont ya ? ;)
    IMG_5124.JPG

The guy, who sold it to me had it like this:
    SeafoamStrat.jpg
    I love the look with rosewood fretboard and I will most likely chose this option, which means: another rare combination: swamp ash body + rosewood fretboard.

I can imagine 2 Hilos would also look nice on white guard...

Henry likes this.
  10. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I put some GFS "grey bottom" style strat pups. Got them with the bridge wound a little hotter too. Never looked back.

11. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    To me, they were the "strattiest" of strat pickups I've tried-granted, I haven't tried that many. Very woody sounding. I adored the 2 and 4 positions, as well as the neck. I adjusted the bridge pup a little closer to the strings and was able to coax some nice twang without being icepicky. For the price, I'm sure there are others out there that are just as cool sounding at a lower price. These were already in the CP60s strat I used to have. That guitar was perfect as it was-and I sold it. DOH. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  12. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    Well, I'm not in a hurry with this project - still need a nice neck....

today I got these:
    IMG_5628.JPG

:)

j.s.c, blueridgeguy and Ricochet like this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

That looks a lot like my Special Edition 60's Strat in Daphne Blue, except for the painted headstock. It has the vintage staggered pickups, which are supposed to be a 60's style pickup.

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Looks promising.

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  15. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    Whooo I need a neck for this project :)

I just got 2 old Univox Humbuckers, which have been pulled out of a HiFlier phase 3 or phase 4 axe. I have 3 of these in a "Frankenstrat Univox Ripper" (70ies Strat Cody / lawsuit guitar) and I use this abnormal strange Strat in my band a lot.

So the choice which to try first will be hard ;)....

I got:

- "usual" Strat PUPs (pure vintage 65s and a boutique set from German PIP manufacturer)
    - Jag PUPs (Nowaks & PickupWhiz)
    - Univox Humbuckers
    - Hilos
    - Dearmond Rowe silver foils

I guess the Dearmonds will be the first to throw in, but as I said....
    I still need a good neck. Or should I put the neck from my 93 MIJ Strat on it ?

16. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    IMG_5637.JPG
    these are the Univox Humbuckers (from a Hi Flier I guess)...

blueridgeguy likes this.
  17. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Cool project!

My only experience is with TV Classics in a Strat. The bridge TV Classic is wired directly to the volume knob, no tone. It sounds really really good, I love it. The volume is a push/pull pot, and splits the coil for a single coil sound, that while noticeably lower in output, sounds so damn awesome!

The bad news is that the neck TV Classic doesn't sound very good in the strat as I think it is placed too far forward and it becomes too dark and muddy. But that bridge position, including the split coil, is one of the best things ever!

I am thinking of getting a pick guard made and turning the Strat into a one pickup guitar (TV Classic bridge, splittable).

I am also thinking of getting a tech to make it so that the output jack and grounding wire can be easily disconnected via some kind of plugs so I could switch pre-loaded pick guards in and out easily (like the Kauer Titan guitars) because I want to have a preloaded pick guard with gold foils as well that I can swap whenever I want to, and other pickups like you are looking at!

Good luck with your project!

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have a little Harmony solidbody with those foil DeArmonds and it sounds rad, the rest of the guitar is cheese but those pickups are sweet.

jagROAR_63 likes this.
  19. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    One of my favorite sounds ever is a Strat neck pickup, maybe a TV and a neck would be a killer combo.

jagROAR_63 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  20. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Man it is funny you mention that! I was going describe that I'm thinking about that option too!

It would definitely make the guitar more versatile.

I thought about putting a good strat neck pickup in there as well, and then getting someone to wire it with one tone knob for both pickups, using a no load tone pot that you can take out of the circuit: I know that the TV sounds good without a tone circuit already, and I'm postulating that the neck pickup won't sound bad with no tone pot resistance either since it is inherently more bass frequency heavy.

Moreover I think having two volume knobs one for the TV Classic, with a push pull pot to split the coil, and one volume for the neck pickup, so that blending can occur, would be killer!

3 way switch.

jagROAR_63 and wildeman like this.