Found on eBay, is it genuine?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Yukimajo, May 23, 2019.

1. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    The seller claims it's a 2006 Malcolm Young sig model. I have reservations myself, the things that cause me concern are:
    • The single pick up
    • The master volume knob - seems pointless with one pickup, why not have a volume next to the tone?
    • The Grover (looking) tuners
    • The combined tail piece/bridge
    And the listing carrying the current Malcolm sig model number.

[​IMG]

r0de0 likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    hummm..... just don't look right to me either . Clean tho

Yukimajo likes this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Cool looking guitar nonetheless.

savofenno and Yukimajo like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That guitar and ottoman look very familiar. They both belong to long standing and well respected GT member “6stings”(Darko in real life). He was(or still is?) based in Norway and enjoyed quite a reputation as serial modder...
    Unfortunately he no longer is active on this forum, but rest assured of his credentials.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

It is cool looking, but it just looks like it's missing something! I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes I agree. That exact photo is on the GDP database as belonging to 6stings. I miss Darko on the forum.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I think all the official Malcolm Young models are basically a three pickup Duo Jet with the top two pickups removed. See below.

malcolm young sig.jpg

Jena and savofenno like this.
  8. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

One thing I will say here though--while it may be photos from a reputable person, they could be stolen photos. That happens OFTEN on Ebay, I can't tell you how many times I've come across photos from some of my doll blog co-horts for something being sold--and it's not them selling it. Image theft on Ebay is a huge problem.

9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I was thinking the same thing that it might be stolen photos.
    Maybe ask the seller for a photo of something specific just to be sure?
    If it’s indeed Darko you’ll be in good hands.

10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    After checking it out on eBay I would say that this looks really sketchy to me.
    My guess is that is a stolen pic and not Darko at all.
    It looks like a scam to me.
    I’m certainly nowhere near the most knowledgeable person on this forum so I would definitely wait for a second opinion.

11. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I'm always suspicious of people who have multiple ads on eBay where the photo locations and layout/style of the text are all totally different. If I was advertising a bunch of guitars at the same time, I'm pretty sure I'd use similar photos, and cut&paste the text to some degree.

section2 likes this.
  12. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Actually, that’s not correct. The single pickup red finish (with a “clean” top) model does exist, but it was not made for very long, and was not a big seller... pretty rare, in fact. By the way, the CORRECT model number is G6131-SMYR, which indicates the original single pickup model in Oriental Red finish. There is also the 6131-SMY, which is the more popular natural finish, and the 6131-SMYF, which has a flame maple top.

The guitar itself as pictured above is a legitimate authorized Gretsch model.
    However, as to the auction itself, I cannot attest. As with any EBay auction, proceed with caution.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    j.s.c, wabash slim, Jena and 3 others like this.
  13. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't see the listing anymore (removed?), but that is absolutely the thing to look for when something doesn't seem right. If the pictures among multiple listings don't look similar, then run. It's a scammer.

Or if the seller is in Japan, then probably not exactly a scammer, but a shady "broker" listing gear he doesn't own at an inflated price, with the idea being if you buy, he will buy from the real owner and turn a quick and easy profit. Or if the real owner has already sold the item, he will try to interest you in something else. But apparently you do get your money back if you pass.

Other things to look for...

Check the seller's feedback. If the seller hasn't been active for a long time, and all of the sudden there are a bunch of guitars for sale, it's a hijacked account.

Or if the seller's feedback shows that he/she has sold nothing but coins and bobble-head dolls for 10 years, and all of the sudden there's a '59 6120 listed, it's a hijacked account.

audept and section2 like this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Nothing to add to the scam discussion. However, I will say that is one gorgeous guitar.

blueruins and section2 like this.
  15. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Hmm. The listing says it ships from Lancaster, England. Pretty sure Darko is from Norway, isn't he?

16. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    True, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that he may have previously sold it to someone in the UK. Not likely, but possible.

The biggest scam tip-off to me was the fact that for a guitar in this price range, there was only ONE photo posted.

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Gretsch Malcolm Young I 6131SMY - 6131SMYR and flamed topped 6131SMYF made from 1996 - 2011.

The 2 pickup version ,natural 6131MY ,red 6131MYR and flamed topped 6131MYF was also made from 1996 - 2011.

18. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I thought I had seen that before..
    I miss Darko and his playing videos...he had the family jammin'!

audept and blueruins like this.
  19. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    A picture of Darko’s White Jet started my obsession and led me to the friendliest place on the Internet.

20. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I spoke with Darko on his birthday about six months ago on facebook.
    He doesn’t play much since his son moved out and has been working and travelling. He doesn’t appear to have anything on that account to suggest he was selling this though.

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice