For your consideration: Orange TremLord 30

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The amp is assembled in China unfortunately, last I heard the cabs were made in Kentucky on the closed back cabs and pricier combos, but if it's similar build quality to the OR50 (or the OR15 I had) I think I have pretty good confidence in it not causing any issues for me functionally.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Yeah, even the overseas built Orange amps are high quality.

diamoroso and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    53 pounds?? Well, at least you don't have to worry as much about someone stealing it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    It's weighty, but lighter by a pound than an AC30S1 and (assuming it's not atypical in quality for the nicer MiC Oranges I've had apart) better constructed IMO. I probably could benefit from the work out anyway too ;)

But yeah, I stand a good chance of chasing down anyone who tries to take off w/ it on foot :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  5. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Congrats Sid, I've been lusting over this amp since it was announced. I just bought a new 5420, but in a few months I'm probably going to grab one of these. Considering my main gigging amp now is a Twin Reverb, the weight doesn't bother me!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  6. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I am hot on this amp, but with already owning a Rockerverb Mki 50w head, and it being a combo...I don't know if it's the sort of thing I'd want to A-B with my current amp.

Also, since this amp has been released, Orange has been on a major social media campaign to tout the clean channels of all of their amps. "The Voice of Clean~~~~"!

7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks! Got a further update and it turns out mine probably won't be shipping from Orange until the end of next week but I really wasn't expecting it until later in March so it's all good.

I'm in the same boat in that I'll haul heavier combos w/o too much hesitation so while I'd certainly appreciate less weight or a head version, it's not a deal killer for me.

I've generally enjoyed their "cleans" myself, only downside is that you sacrifice alot of output on the single channel amps to get there. I found it a little funny when places were marketing this as their clean amp and then the demos never feature anything cleaner than edge of breakup/light crunch... I'd be fine if it didn't get cleaner than saturated edge of breakup, just seemed kinda ironic.

I can't wait to try it paired up w/ my OR50.

diamoroso likes this.
  8. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    53 lbs!?!?!
    I was interested until I read that spec.

Guess I’d better get out of the way - my geezer card is showing!

Now if they made a head......

9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    A head would definitely be great, but then again most of my speaker cabs that a head version of this amp would fit on top of wind up weighing pretty close to the same as this combo if not more. Still it would be good if you could count on a decent backline cab at gigs and/or one to leave at your rehearsal spot.

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Ran into a first look on this one from Premier Guitar today, still seems like it's gonna sound pretty great & worth a listen IMO:

I really wish they'd have cut to a shot of the footswitches so I could see if the trem speed LED blinks in time or is static. Kinda goofy considering he spends like 5 minutes talking about the switches including the phrase "As you can see...." o_O

Bertotti likes this.
  11. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado

Sounds very good. I definitely would love to try this amp. But I just bought a Mesa/boogie that should arrive later this week so no new amps for a while. But the reverb and tremolo sound super luscious on the Tremlord!

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Bugged my usual sales guy @ GC on this last Friday and he called Orange to get an update for me. They said they were now anticipating shipment this week, but I'm kind of trying to set my expectations back to sometime before April (CME has them listed as shipping on 3/5 now while Musician's Friend says 3/20, GC online has no expected date). It would be great if it could get in before the 13th so I could get another $200 off of it, but we'll see...

13. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Anybody played one of these Tremlord amps yet?

14. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Orange keeps pushing the ship date. As of today it looks like they won't ship for another couple weeks.

15. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Bummer! I hope it’s worth the wait.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Just got an email that my TremLord arrived today :D

diamoroso and Bertotti like this.
  17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I did manage to pick mine up this afternoon (of course adherent to Murphy's law, I tweaked the hell out of my back hefting a 4U SATA shelf ~15 minutes before I was leaving to pick the amp up :eek::mad: ):
    [​IMG]
    I checked it out straight in w/ my Doheny for about 30 mins. or so in the platinum room at the GC after it was unboxed and got another 2 hours or so of lower volume noodling through it at the shop w/ the Doheny, my DeArmond 2000 equipped Jet Club, my pimped out Wilshire w/ a '57 Classic +/490 set, and my Classic +/Classic equipped ProJet alternating between combinations of the BC183 Boost, Timmy, and Ubangi Stomp goosing it.

I haven't even scratched the surface yet (or run it w/ 4 power tubes even), but by initial impressions I think it's going to be a winner of a clean amp for me. The cleans seem to have a really nice dimension to them and there's a satisfying amount of dynamics w/ hot-ish pickups and/or a bit of a boost that only seems more accentuated w/a bit more dirt being provided from stompy bits... It's striking me as a cleaner amp under its own power than the demos I'd checked out seemed to indicate, but that's not really a bad thing for me and it seems to have taken the dirt pedals I've plugged into it really nicely w/ an appropriately semi-trashy '50s kind of character to it. It's stayed on the saturated/hairy side of clean up to around 3 o'clock for me. I haven't been clicking w/ the crunch you traverse into past that point so far, I'm hypothesizing it may the tipping point for the additional breakup being mostly power tubes but have yet to test that specifically yet, but even on the 1W setting, it's pretty darn loud at that point.

The bias trem is exceptionally tasty to me in person, not quite the most 3D character to it I've ever encountered but excellent in that department nonetheless. It's got a very nice chewy/swampy character to it as well and has great range to both the speed and depth settings w/ nice taper on the pots. The only demerit I'd give it so far is that it seems to step on the heavier dirt from the Ubangi a bit much at this point, but we'll see. The verb seems similarly great and provides really nice, warm ambience through one of the best stock drip sounds I've owned at around 1-2 o'clock off to nearly self oscillating, over the top, oil can-esque dwell fest at max. Unfortunately, not a single bit of the triple footswitch I built for it is working (yet ;) ), but I've got a collection of individual ones I can use in the meantime.

It's hard to get a good gauge on how much of a task the lugging of it will be given the well timed injury, but if I had to guess I'd say it won't be a problem for me on an average day. It fits really nicely in the hatch area of my Golf w/ the seats up sitting the long way and the weight seems distributed nicely w/ dimensions that should allow it to be bear hugged w/ a fair amount buffer space through most doorways and staircases. After I got it upstairs into the music room at home, I found it fits like it was made to sit on top of my Dr. Z 2x10 cab which was a nice discovery too.

I'm going to do a lot more test driving of the guitars, pedals, cabs and speakers w/ it before I know for sure, but so far it's seeming like it was worth both the money and the wait for me :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    diamoroso, collama and Bertotti like this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My back is finally feeling healed up to the point that it no longer seemed irresponsible to try moving some of the lighter amps and cabs around in the music room so this afternoon I set myself up w/ the Galaxie, Mach IV, & Six Gun into this board:
    [​IMG]
    and into the clean/dirty team of the TremLord w/ the Eminence 1028K + 1058 loaded Dr. Z 2x10 w/ the panel out & the stock Lavoce 12" and the OR50 w/ my G12 Gold + G12H 55Hz loaded PPC212.

Just using the the Rat for a dirty boost, the boost on the BoR always on, the Meet Maude w/ a touch of the Supermoon in its loop for a really great, ominous and moody slap, and the left side of the Dark Side for the great Binson multitap longer delays w/ forays into the rotary flange and phase/univibe as well, I'm incredibly impressed w/ the results :D Everything seems to jive really well w/ both amps and they seem to get along famously w/ each other for my tastes, w/ the heavy 70s sounds of the OR50 and the saturated to semi-ratty cleaner 50s type sounds of the TremLord forming a somewhat surprising synergy. I'm continuing to love the bias trem and spring tank in the TremLord and am really feeling the utility of the dual speeds on the trem w/ all the footswitches hooked up. I'm really into the sounds of the clean/dirty amp setup w/ their speakers in an X pattern and trem and spring verb only on the clean "side" as well, it seems to mitigate some of the common annoyances trying to use trem and verb w/ heavier dirt for me and lends a really nice 3D semi-swirling type quality to the sound.

If only I could safely move the PPC212, I think this amp/cab pairing would stand a great chance of being my no compromises go to for playing loud(er) w/ others.... It's seeming to give me access to a really broad range of sort of novel takes on sounds: it really scratches my itch for old school hardcore/punk, the noisy indie stuff, and the noir/pasketti/surf/spy/fake jazz/etc. melange that I'm pre-disposed towards as my default motif for improv. It produces some really nice swampy blues tones as well when you dial everything in right. It has certainly induced a whole lot of inspiring noodling and stupid drooly grins today anyway :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Ricochet and Waxhead like this.
  19. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds awesome, really want to try one of these!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice