For those of you with amps that don't have a stand-by

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by hogrider16, Jul 4, 2019.

1. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I just bought a Princeton '65 reissue. I tend to practice on and off during the day and will frequently take a brake to do something else and come back to it. What is your rule of thumb for leaving the amp on? I'm thinking if I know I'm going to be away more than an hour shut if off, if not leave it on, but am curious what other people do.

Thanks!

P.S. - I'm not worried about the cost of tubes so that's not a factor.

2. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I tend to turn them off. But I could understand leaving them on for an hour or less. If not worried about tubes then turn it off.

3. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I should know this, but it sounds like you are saying that turning it on and off a lot only (or primarily) puts wear on the tubes?

4. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    It's actually better to leave tube amps on than to keep turning them on and off. Heating/ cooling cycles create "wear" on the tubes. Especially if it's cold (like my house gets in the winter). That's what the Standby switch is for...

Gretschmen65, reverb11 and ZackyDog like this.
  5. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Turn the volume down on the amp, put the guitar on the stand and walk away.

dmunson and rcboals like this.
  6. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have heard it can. Just like light bulbs. I would think power tubes and rectifier more so. But operating hot for long periods does too, and resistors and components inside etc are subject to heat degradation also.

7. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yeah, I hear you. he did say: "P.S. - I'm not worried about the cost of tubes so that's not a factor." But good comment. :>)

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  8. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I side with the belief that people worry way too much about standby switches, and tube longevity. Once it's on, leave it on. Around the house I don't like to leave them on for more than an hour unplayed. At a gig, leave them on until it's time to pack up (so 5 or 6 hours).

This is a terrific podcast with a guy with a few decades of experience with tube amps. You'll get more insights there too: https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcasts/the-truth-about-tube-amps-ep.-1/

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I just turn them on when i use them and turn them off when I'm done. Anybody's ever left one on for day's will tell you this.

moltenmagna, MKunie, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    reverb11, Groutsch and T Bone like this.
  11. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I have a standby switch and don't use it. I just turn the guitar volume down. If I'm leaving the room I shut the amp off.

Stefan likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    All I can say is that a local luthier has a vintage AC30 in his workingplace to check the electronics of the instruments he is working on.
    He switches the amp on every morning as soon as he enters his place and switches the amp off when he leaves in the night.
    All he does is turning the volume at zero when he is not using it.

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
  14. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I play a lot in the evening in between chores, dishes,laundry,house cleaning etc.My home amp does not have a standby, I wanted a coil cable so I bought a Lava coil cable with silent plug on one end.
    I don't like to leave guitar out of case when not playing

hogrider16 and MotorCentaur like this.
  15. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Um, the title of the thread, "For those of you with amps that don't have a stand-by."

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    It's what I do also. For years.

I do the same. For years.

On big amps, indeed the SBY is useful, not to say compulsory.
    On a single ended 5W amp, I'd say no.
    Once you reach the push-pull category (over 10-15W), I'd say yes.
    That's why I converted the GND SW of my SF PR to SBY.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

17. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

It's better for the planet if you turn them off.

18. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I read that as a stand-by amp, as in a back -up amp. So sue me, lol. I've already spent 10x more energy on this than its importance to me.

Anyway, my point remains; constant heat/cool cycles can be detrimental. Better to just leave it on if you are going to be playing on and off throughout the day. Better than turning it off/on every 15 minutes.

19. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    On when using it. Off when not. The Stby takes the high voltage off the tubes and a good portion of the circuit. That’s helpful. The voltage and heat wears parts down. My opinion. All electronic components have a life under heat/voltage rating in hours. I build my own circuits and repair my amps etc. I’m not an expert by any stretch but 300-400+voltage is a lot of stress on a circuit. Again this is my opinion.

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    ... And I agree too. ;)

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice