For the 5420

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by S.R.Cash, Sep 2, 2019.

1. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok, so, here's the deal. I'm a single coil guy, so I need to replace my Black Tops. Currently, they run set low.ish with 1 row of poles raised and 1 row removed. Helps, but not enough. I love the tone in the Surf 90s in my other Gretsch and I find I can do well with pickin' Cliff Gallup, Janis Martin, Carl Perkins etc.. I love the very early Rockabilly, and the Western Bop-Swing sort of stuff. However, for ease of replacement I was considering Hi.Lo.Trons. Basically, 2 questions here... will I get, in the long run, the things I'm doing well enough with the HLTs, or would I be better served with the 90s? Thusly.., would the 90s sort of ruin the Gretchiness of the Gretsch? Does it really matter that much that there not Gretsch pickups?

Thoughts? Opinions?

By the way, here's sort of the tone I like from the 90s in my other Gretsch:

Zeek, thunder58 and LivingMyDream like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    7B688A1A-F17A-4888-8774-34A519668FFE.jpeg
    I’d go with TV Jones T-Armonds. They come in filtertron shape to be a direct replacement for your Blacktops.
    I have one in the neck of my 5420. It rules!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Stefan, Trash Kidd, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  3. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Beauty! ... They did cross my mind, but there's just something about a 'thinner' twang that really gets me.

4. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I recently sold my Tennessee Rose HT and I will say that I loved the Hilotrons in it. I'm also a big fan of P90's (and the Surf 90's), but they're different animals. HT's are unique as far as Gretsch pickups go, lots of high end sparkle, great mids that cut through a band mix and decent bass response, but are definitely low output pickups, so require some adjusting if you play multiple guitars through the same amp live. All the artists you identify used very different pickups, but you can certainly get that rockabilly tone out of them. I liked them most for plinky-type funk tones, great for country or rockabilly twang and some bluesy stuff...and if you're willing to play with your amp settings, they can do crunchy rock tones if needed. I think Hilotrons are one of the cleanest sounding and articulate pickups (next to Dynasonics), P90's seem to have more of a natural grind to them and higher output, even though both all are single coils. You should try to play some Hilotrons...many here don't seem to like them all that much and trade them out for Filtertron-types, but if you're willing to work with them, they have a great crisp/clean single coil sound.

5. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I think that's what gets me, their so 'clean'. The decision making part that is hard for me, is that I get this 'Strat' vibe from HTs, and this 'Gretschier' vibe from the 90s. Also, finding 'popular' examples of HTs is kind of hard.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Edie Ochrane, or reverse Edie Cochrane?

7. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd like a guitar around like that one day too

8. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I love surf 90s. I used to play Eddie Cochran in a Buddy Holly tribute show and I used a 5120 with Surf 90s for a good portion of that run. They were very close in sound to the DeArmond single coils. But....the surf 90 won’t fit in a 5420. You’d have to route the pickup cavity bigger.

So yeah go with the t armonds. I have a set in my 6120 and they sound great. Definitely give you the old rockabilly sound you like

9. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Never thought about the hole, I was just worried about the rings. Ahhh the lovely Gretsch quirks Eh!

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Your T-Armond is the english-mount version?

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Nice tone from your Streamliner,sounds great!

Nice t shirt,Greg is a cool cat.

S.R.Cash likes this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    No. It definitely should be, but I bought the regular mount by accident. I was able to mount it with a wooden craft stick. It worked great. I’d take some photos, but I don’t feel like taking it out of the guitar right now.

13. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    When thinking of the T.Armond, I was going through a lot of old threads. Is there much truth to what a lot of people say that the Dynasonic is a 'Truer' vintage tone compared to the T.Armond? Or is it really subtle enough that it can be dialed out EQing the amp a bit?

14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Love the movie ... oh the sound was good too :p

S.R.Cash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice