For Corvette Lovers...

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by trlobdell92, Apr 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. trlobdell92

trlobdell92 Gretschie

Oct 6, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Hello all!

I recently came across a '64 Corvette marked WAY down on Guitar Center's used pages. I called up one of the stores in Cleveland, and asked him to ship it up for me. Five days later, I brought it home. There were a couple of issues though; my buddy and I determined that the pickguard is not original. It looks super close, but not all of the curves are very round, and there's some screw holes that were filled underneath. There is also a fine imprint in the finish from the original pickguard outline. We also discovered that the pots are both 100k, which is fine on the tone pot. The Hi'Lo Tron barks very well up and down the range of the knob. The volume pot though, is a problem if I want to play at half volume for rhythm.

My question; would it be a bad idea to replace at least the volume pot? Seeing as the pickguard is already non original, yet every other piece of hardware, frets included, is, I don't see it as that big of a deal, and I would like the wider range of a larger resistance. If I do this, has anyone else, and should I go with 250, 500, or 1M?

Thanks for your time :)
    IMG_6220.jpg IMG_6224.jpg

Jena, Lionpotato, new6659 and 5 others like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Nice find! I'd switch it out. While I love Corvettes, they're not very collectible, or as TV Jones himself told me when I asked what pickup to put in my 64 Vette and whether routing might be needed, "It's not like it's a rare or valuable guitar. " It's a workhorse, do with it what you need.

trlobdell92 likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    *drool*

It’s already modded so go for it, just hold on to what you have. I’d experiment with pots, maybe try 250k first. The more complicated Gretsch harness load down the signal more, so 500k makes sense. A simpler circuit like this could help round off some highs. 1Meg, probably a little shrill, but that’s just a guess.

trlobdell92 likes this.
  4. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    After the first half of the first sentence my first thought was the one piece window was ugly:D

trlobdell92 likes this.
  5. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Doesn’t look bad from where I am sitting
    Mmmm, resto-mod
    2D980BBC-9B32-483A-9FC7-F87654A25577.jpeg

Lionpotato, Jena and trlobdell92 like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2019-04-28-19-23-04-1.png

Jena and trlobdell92 like this.
  7. trlobdell92

trlobdell92 Gretschie

Oct 6, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    I've played it live twice this past weekend, and it's a workhorse for sure. The unpinned bridge actually stays in place under 11's with crazy bends, which I couldn't get my '78 7660 to do the same and re-sold it. I have 500K's in my toolbox, but I don't want to open this thing up more than I need to! I appreciate the insight :)

To the car guys, great pics ;)

rockinforJesus and Jena like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had a '62 and its pickguard disintegrated, that's probably what happened to yours. I'd make that a player man, i sure miss mine. Gretsch's answer to the LP jr. for sure.

Jena and DannyB like this.
  9. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    OMG, Corvette Summer. I was totally smitten with that car as a boy. Awesomeness

wildeman likes this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    My pickguard is like a relief map of the andes.

IMG_0025.jpg

11. trlobdell92

trlobdell92 Gretschie

Oct 6, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Englishman, when I recently came across your build threads, that was the push for me to finally give in on a corvette!! Excellent job, by the way!

englishman and DannyB like this.
  12. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Congrats on your new acquisition. The Corvette looks great! I'm not too good with tech issues so can't answer your question but enjoy your new guitar!

trlobdell92 likes this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool find sir,congrats!

trlobdell92 likes this.
  14. Last edited: May 3, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice