Folsom and Gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pilgrim, Jan 13, 2020.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    After a series of personal and professional setbacks in the late 1960s, Johnny Cash was in dire need of a career resurgence. With his old touring companion and eventual wife, June, by his side, Cash embarked on a remarkable turnaround, which began with a performance for inmates at Folsom Prison on this day in 1968. The concert and subsequent Grammy-winning live album are credited with helping put back Cash in the public's good graces and revive his career.
    I was told the next day to buy or borrow a Gretsch for studio re-dubs. Tomorrow Jan. 14 1968 I bought my first Gretsch, You all know how I hate to buy guitars, Now I have about 14 Gretsches and all you wonderful folks, Pilgrim

2. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Country Gent

Aug 23, 2008
    chasing the dragon
    I shot a man in Reno.

3. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    I like that album and a great and brave thing to do by Cash for the locked away ones. Do you still have your first Gretsch. All the best.

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool!

I have a bit of catching up to do,but i still own the first Gretsch i ever bought,April 1988 ,1965/66 6120,so what's that,32 years!

5. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Did you play on the album? At the concert?

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Great tale, Robert.
    Did he die? :cool:

MKunie and larryb like this.
  7. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Country Gent

Aug 23, 2008
    chasing the dragon
    [QUOTE="drmilktruck,

Did he die? :cool:[/QUOTE]

That's what I was hoping to watch, Jim, but ... nah ... just winged 'im.

Axis39, Stefan87 and larryb like this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Cool story, really hope you still have your first gretsch.

9. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    In a rare moment of poor judgement years ago, I was allowed to be a Cub Scout leader. Many years later, one of my Cubs grew up and actually shot a man in Reno (he didn't die). But he served time in Nevada instead of Folsom. I always think of him whenever we play that song, which is every gig. Even the Lizards do that one now and then.

blueruins, MKunie and Groutsch like this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    That's a great story.

11. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Yep, still got the first one.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I can remember from 1969 to 1971 , ( I was 11 yrs old in'69 ) The Johnny Cash Show was on every week . I use to sneak downstairs in the basement where we had an old black and white television and watch the show , after all it was a school night ....( we didn't have a color TV until about then and that was in the family room and wow , what a big deal that was ...anyway ) .....
    I saw this " man in black " and thought he was the coolest " thing " I ever saw ( next to The Beatles of coarse ) Johnny Cash was and still is a musical hero to me . Folsom Prison was a great album and the concert did wonders for the prisoners especially prisoner Glen Shirley who wrote the song called " Greystone Chapel " . Johnny Cash sung that song unbeknown by Glen Shirley at the Folsom Concert . Despite help from Cash , Shirley was unable to adjust life outside of prison and committed suicide at the age of 42

Trash Kidd likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Thank you @pilgrim for the story

14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Post of the week. At least.
    Now @pilgrim you have to tell us the whole story.
    This album is famous for the story about Bob Johnston adding hollers to make it sound like a starting riot (re: Wikipedia for instance). But nothing about music overdubs.
    We want to know more... esp. if that was performed with a Gretsch guitar (and which model was it?).

thunder58 likes this.
  15. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Gretsch Nashville, now known as a Chet

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice