Folding travel guitar.

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Roy Clark, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    Look at this folding travel guitar thoughts?

The Ascender is the first full-size professional guitar designed for travel. It folds in half mid-neck, which allows it to fit in any carry-on bag or backpack – perfect for air travel!

We’re launching soon! Enter your email to be notified when it becomes available for purchase and receive an exclusive discount.

“It’s just incredible!…It goes right back to being a guitar and with very minimal tuning!…It’s just crazy…The tone on this is amazing I love it!…They really are great instruments.”

The Ascender™ uses a revolutionary, patented folding system that enables 50% length reduction for convenient travel, with Plek-perfect action, sustained tuning, and professional sound.

Nashville Made and Built to Perform
    Made in Music City – Nashville, Tennessee – the Ascender™ has been created in cooperation with Glaser Instruments led by Joe Glaser, a leading innovator and authority in the guitar world!

Beautiful Engineering & Design
    The Ascender uses a revolutionary, patented system that folds itself into the smallest travel size on the market (18” x 12” x 3.5”) – all in a beautifully finished classic body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Cool engineering! Good luck with the launch.

3. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I do not work for the company.

4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I like it ....... jack plate and case included too

gtttrrr and wabash slim like this.
  5. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Wow it looks like a lot to go wrong. How about a 6 string cigar box guitar? Shoot me a PM if you're really interested. I have one for sale.

6. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Interesting guitar, I wouldn't have minded having one back in my travel days.

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I used to simply unsrew the neck from my Strat for travel. Easily done.

8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I have tried and owned practically every travel guitar out there. They all without exception were unsatisfactory inferior playing instruments. The best solution for me was to remove the neck from a tele and put it in a checked suit case. This works for me right now my removable neck travel guitar is a Godin Radiator.

Attached Files:

Ramblin' Man likes this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Ramblin' Man and thunder58 like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got a Martin Backpacker. I didn't get it for airline use, but it fit into the car when we travelled with daughter and dog. It also fit into a locker at work (anything loose and useful would grow feet and walk away).

As I was carrying it in it's case (didn't need a jack plate---that was in the strap button) a campus cop asked me if it was a weapon.

"You've heard me play?"

DennisC, gtttrrr, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Alameda Guitars has one too, don't know if they are in production. I think they look better. They also make pickups.

http://alamedaguitars.com/

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    What's the price on the ascender?

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Plus One on that. I've played the prototype and it's an excellent instrument. They have some other interesting products as well and are good folk.

14. Marcc

Marcc Electromatic

Aug 7, 2018
    England
    We did some live performance in India. The main issue was that everyone was having to use gear bought local. It was shocking bad. This could be the answer in the guitar department. Would love to see how they sound

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've played a Gipson. I needed bandages afterwards.

Marcc likes this.
  16. Marcc

Marcc Electromatic

Aug 7, 2018
    England
    Lucky you. I was playing some crap I bought in Kathmandu. 2nd hand electric thin wood stat thing. Hollow body stat! Complete with electrics inside that made leo fender turn in his grave. But it worked. Sounded like crap thou!

17. Ramblin' Man

Ramblin' Man Electromatic

Jun 2, 2015
    Florida
    Hi Thunder58, thanks for the shout out! A folded Rambler has a much smaller footprint and only weighs about 5 pounds.

18. Ramblin' Man

Ramblin' Man Electromatic

Jun 2, 2015
    Florida
    Hi, Russ here from Strobel Guitars. We understand your frustration trying to find a good travel guitar, that is why we invented the Rambler. You can find out more at www.strobelguitars.com.

19. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    The price point at $1699 is a killer. I am sure it is a very nice made quality instrument. That being said, it still not going to feel or play like regular guitar just because of its shape and design. I will stick to removing the neck on a tele or strat or any other bolt on neck of my choice and throwing it in a full sized checked suitcase. Here is a pic of someone else from Strat Talk showing how it's done. Also, I throw in my Blackstar Fly 3 as it fits in the checked luggage with the guitar. Easy satisfactory solution for me when the wife makes me go to Hawaii for six weeks. :)

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice