Flatwounds and wound 3rd.

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Philtertronic, Jun 14, 2019.

1. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Too much arthritis in these old hands to use a wound G for anything except jazz.

2. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Y'know, I am sure I feel it starting in the bones of my left hand, around the metatarsal area. I dread the day that this shid impinges on my playing.

3. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I remember seeing a video of Les Paul Playing in his later years. I don't know how old he was, but looked to be in his 70's. He was still smoking hot. I think I remember reading in one of the books about his life that in his later years he said he had to play smarter, and couldn't just rely on brute technique.

new6659 likes this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

Either way, the bottom line is bending is more work, whatever the reason. That's why I don't care for a wound G.

Agreed. But he asked for input.

5. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I personally own a 6122-62 and tried everything on it. Right now I use Daddario 10 gauge round in them as I use it live occasionally and need these on there for the stuff we do. When I went through my flatwound period I tried several and hands down the best for tone and feel were the Thomastik 10 flat set with my own added plain G .017 on there. Great for bending and tone. I tried Pyramids and wasnt partial to them. Just my opinion. I understand they have a round core set for their flats. This might be a possibility.

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I love the Pyramid flat would bass strings (been using them for about 25 years) but I didn't care for their 6 string or 12 string sets. The tension feels too tight for me. The Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing cost a bit more but sound and feel much better and they last a long time. I was using Pyramid flat wounds on my Rickenbacker 12 string and they were screwing with the neck and felt overly tight.
    The Thomastik Infeld set I'm using has that classic 60s sound and play like a dream.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice