Flatwounds and wound 3rd.

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Philtertronic, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    I am finally going to give flatwound strings a bash, but at .011-.048. I'm going with Pyramid.

I've heard of guitarists going with a wound G but I get the impression that I'd fight with it on bends. I normally run nickel .010s but fancied moving up a gauge and changing to flats. The Pyramids come with a plain G but I'd be interested to hear members' experiences with flats at both gauges with a wound G.

2. gruffydd3

gruffydd3 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2018
    maryland
    I have 11-50's with a wound G on my 6120 and don't have a problem doing bends.

3. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    Wound G for sure. For me, a plain G at that gauge is like chicken wire.

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Wound 3rd strings tend to break very easily on my guitars. When I was experimenting with different gauges back in the day I had some heavy sets on my Strat. The wound 3rd was always a problem. String-breakage and tuning issues. Not my cup of tea.
    I know that other`s swear by them.
    But it`s only me.

larryb likes this.
  5. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Chicken wire? Really?

They'll be going on a 6122-62 II. I'll keep an eye on the saddle.

6. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Wound g gives a sweet tone to your chords and to your notes, but makes your bendings hard.
    Plain g gives you great bendings for solos but doesn't sound nice as a wound g.
    Just a matter of taste and choice.

Wjensen, Jena and larryb like this.
  7. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    Until I read about it on the Internet, I never knew I had a problem with a wound third.

In all honesty, I still don't notice....

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm not a string bender, so, wound G works better for me. I appreciate the richer tone. Flats suit me as well.

Sonny Strimple, emitex and Freshy like this.
  9. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Flats and a wound G it is, then.

Thanks, fellas, for all the input.

10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Not for me either....I like bending too much!

loudnlousy likes this.
  11. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    I think that the strings you chose might work pretty well. Don't let the theory bother you too much, the only way to confirm or deny a theory is to try it and observe.

Lee

Wjensen and Rusty Silver like this.
  12. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Yeah, for the same reason as Wabash Slim. I'm not a bender, and only use flatwounds with a wound G for the tone it gives. I'm a heavy Bigsby user though, and find no problems with them breaking or anything but will use the lightest nickel flatwound I can find, which is .018 gauge.

Philtertronic likes this.
  13. smokinop

smokinop Electromatic

Jul 19, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    I just put D'Addario Chromes 10's on a 5120 but replaced the .020 with a .018 plain G which works better for me. I've tried a wound G in the past but just didn't get along well with it. So far so good as I haven't put the guitar down since putting them on.

Pop1655 and benjwri like this.
  14. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    What
    What didn't you like about the wound G?

15. smokinop

smokinop Electromatic

Jul 19, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    Uncomfortable for me for bends on the wound G.

16. afire

afire Country Gent

I am a bender and cannot deal with a wound G. Sure, you can bend them, but not only is a wound G stiffer, you literally have to bend them farther to get the same pitch shift (physics that were once explained to me but are now forgotten).

When I was using flats my set of choice was Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing 11s with a plain 19 G. Just Strings sell singles, so that was never a problem.

17. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I remember reading decades ago - it was probably wrong, but I clearly remember reading it - that electric guitars had wound G's until Clapton replaced it with a banjo string.

And here in 2019 a couple of minutes on Google shows unwound G's go all the way back to 1917!

Spiffy article, with pictures for proof: https://tinderwetstudios.com/guitar-string-history-pre-wwii/

18. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    I heard it was Pagey who came up with the unwound G, lolz.

Going to go with the Pyramids with the unwound G and buy a separate wound G and try that first.

19. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    I like the full set of TI 11's on the Gretsch.
    I tried a full set of TI 10's on my 335 and didn't care for the wound G. Just too unfamiliar on that guitar I think.
    Right now it's wearing the TI 10's on the bottom 3 and my regular NYXL's on the top 3. I'm very happy with that.

Both have their place. Depends on the guitar and its' particular task.

Put a couple of extra winds on the wound G and you can go back and forth a time or two and really figure out what works for you.

Philtertronic likes this.
  20. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Afire said:

Well the problem with your thinking is the wound G string is not stiffer than a plain string. The stiffness of a string is determined by the diameter of the core wire. The diameter of the core wire of a wound string is smaller than the diameter of a plain string. And it's a very sensitive thing, 0.001" means a lot.

The reason you need to push a wound wire further, is that it's not as stiff.

I still that Philtertronic should try stuff and work it out for himself.

It took me years to get the strings straight.

Lee

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice