Flats on a 6122-II ??

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Philtertronic, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Ok, you've all probably been asked this before but is it a wise move? How do they perform with the Filtertrons?
    I'm just about to re-string the guitar and have been considering flats for a while but think I'll hold off until forum experience speaks.

2. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I have flats with TV Classic pickups. The flatwounds made the sound more even for me and I love them. I would go with a set of Thomastik Infelds. They're my favorites.

Philtertronic likes this.
  3. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    What's the Classic like, compared to a stock Filter'tron?

4. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    As far as I know, it is very comparable to the Filtertron, but a bit brighter/clearer.

5. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    As a whole Flatwounds tend to sound a little warmer or mellow, and not as bright. They also tend to be a little more difficult to bend. I find they tend to sound very even across all strings but it might depend on the brand.

That’s all I’ve used on my Gretsch, and I leave round wounds for my other guitars. I am currently trying different flats and are going to try half wounds before getting a new set up. From what I’ve read, half wounds give a semi feeling of flats but with an added brightness, so you could try those as well.

I say try a set out if you’d like. Really, strings are such a personal preference in feel and sound. The only real answer is what’s feels right for and sounds great to you.

6. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thomastiks are on my list to try. Local shop doesn’t carry them so I’m ordering a set on line. I’ve only played Chromes.

7. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    Good to know. I find the FTs on my Gretsch a bit too dirty.