Flat Wounds!!!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by calebaaron666, Feb 10, 2020.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    haha you sound like me, my fore
    I'm the same.. no hand sweat but the forehead is a faucet :)

2. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Round core flats let you bend notes in a more slinky fashion than hex core, especially when you are using 13s and 12s. Got 12s on my 48' Silvertone archtop. 11s feel silly on it :)

MikeSchindler likes this.
  3. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    This happens almost every time I change my Jazz Swings - with locking tuners. The core of the A-string slips when tuning up. I always tried to lock them as tight as possible. Next time I'll try not to use brute force, as I've read somewhere, that this may cause the core to break and then slip. On the other hand I've also read, that if you dont lock them tight enough, only the wrapping is locked by the tuner, but not the core, which causes the slipping. We'll see ...

4. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I use TIs myself, sometimes, and never had a problem, but I haven't tried them on locking tuners.

The article that gave me the idea that round cores might need a snug wrap around the tuning post was written by Newtone Strings. Maybe their round cores are more susceptible than TI's to losing their wraps.

5. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Been using the Jazz Swing 10's on most of my guitars for years. Love, love, ,love them. I've had sets last several years on the less gigged guitars... But, even my #1 the strings will last a good 18 months. Whereas round wound strings tend to last me about 6 months tops. Somehow, the more expensive strings become more economical.

The funny thing is, they don't really go dead. I will wear divots in the backs, over the frets, or they will not stay in tune for months at a time like they normally do.

Having used DR Pure Blues prior to T-I's, I was used to round core strings. So, I crimp before I cut, always. In the however many years I've used T-I's, and the however many sets I've used, I've only had one, maybe two, strings get ruined during installation.

6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Just curious how many people initially read the thread title as “Flat Wounds”, as in pertaining to an injury of some sort...o_O

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  7. TubeLife

TubeLife Electromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Kind of new to the TI strings and have never used them before. I just purchased two of the Bebop 11g sets. I found two sets on Reverb for $14ea? (Not used ;)) Couldn’t believe it so I grabbed the last two sets.
    Anyways, I gotta ask, are the flats good for all types of music? Blues, rock, rockabilly etc or are they more preferred for jazz? I like to bend the G and curious about the wound third. I got the Bebops because of them being rounds but I’m open to the Swing set too. These will go on a Setzer Hot Rod and Ibanez AS83.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I said this in another thread if you think these are expensive you should see the price of a set for my Oval hole mandolin. Almost double for two extra strings! Well worth it. I'm approaching a year on all the sets I have installed and they still sound great and the Penguin I have only had to do minor tweaks for tuning. Usually, it's pull it out of the case and run with it.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The TI's are essential on this guitar. 20191218_173427.jpg 20191218_173237.jpg flatwounds on a flat guitar, early '50s Fender Deluxe. The perfect butterscotch, just need a matching Broadcaster:eek:

10. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm using ti jazz swing 12s on my 5420, superb sound, love 'em

calebaaron666 and Bertotti like this.
  11. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Well, to be honest, I don't play Jazz. I ain't got no ii-V-I knowledge. LOL

Okay, so I know a touch... but am certainly not a real Jazz guy.

I play Blues, mostly West Coast stuff. But, I also love a bit of overdrive and fuzz on the regular. I love to dabble in a little bit of Rockabilly, too. I love 'em for all kinds of music.

Thomastiks and Pyramids are the only flats I'll use. I have a thing, round core, pure nickel wrap. I do it in both flat and roundwounds. I don't care for D'Addario Chromes. There was another brand I tried I didn't care for either. The Chromes didn't have the same bite, the same piano like thing on the wrapped strings that T-I's and Pyramids do. They also don't last as long.

I have had other guitar players come up to me at gigs and not believe me when I tell them I play flats. They comment that I have a great tone, and they fully expected the bit and grit that I get had to be 'regular' strings. LOL

TubeLife likes this.
  12. TubeLife

TubeLife Electromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Thanks for the input. Very cool to hear because I’m roughly in the same boat with styles that I lean towards, primarily blues, Rockabilly and everything in between and so I picked up a couple sets each of the Bebops and Swing both in 11g.

Only one way to find out!!

Axis39 likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Blunt force trauma?

[​IMG]

14. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Not my thing, but to each his own...

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    You might like these pure-nickel, round core flatwounds too:

[​IMG]

Axis39 and Trash Kidd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice