Flat Wounds!!!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by calebaaron666, Feb 10, 2020.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I bit the bullet and bought a set of Tomastik Jazz Swing 11-46’s at my local guitar store.
    I decided my Pirate-caster with the B16 Bigsby would be a good test site for these since it’s my number 2 guitar, and I JUST replaced the strings on my Falcon a little over a week ago.
    I wasn’t sure how best to wind them with locking tuners, so I decided to just treat them the same as round wounds. We’ll see how that pans out.
    I also bought a plain G just in case the wound G that came with the set was hard to bend. It’s not! I’m actually really liking the wound G.

I think I’m gonna keep these for a while!

These strings don’t sound dead, like I always suspected flatwounds sounded. That’s just my foolish contempt prior to investigation, I suppose.

These strings feel like butter, and after a bit of stretching, they hold tune supernaturally! Even with stupid bigsby use.
    I’m now thinking I may have to try a set on my Falcon at some point.

Another thing, I just started a thread asking for recommendations for a new tele back pickup to better match the volume of my TVJ neck pup, but with these strings, I don’t think that’ll be necessary anymore!

Anyway... that’s my report thus far.
    Anyone else?

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Congrats. Thomastik/TI makes great strings. I had a few pairs of the same set at one time.

upload_2020-2-10_23-11-24.png

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh yea! Great strings of four electrics O have them on a start and the Broadway Jade Penguin nothing dead about them. I had some flats years ago Dadarios and they were terrible lifeless duds. I also have the Bebops on two guitars makes a nice change from the Swings they are on a Strat and a Lotus. You might want to try the Bebops on the falcon just to try them as well. But just to forewarn your the Bebops are round not flat and they seem like a more aggressive texture so going from flats to not flats does make the finger noise seem louder and not nearly as smooth physically while playing. I use the 12s set in both Swings and Bebops.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That pirate caster is just to dam cool!

6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    What makes Thomastiks such a joy is that unlike the DeAddario's hex core, these are round core and much more flexible. You should be able to get a year out of them if you wipe the undersides lightly w wd40 between sweaty hand sessions. I got more than a year from mine but I dont have any hand sweat period. I wiped them down w Wd40 maybe 3 times, super nice on my smith tele.

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx for the wd40 tip. Good to know.
    My hands don’t get very sweaty either, my problem is sweat pours from my forehead down onto my guitar if I play in any warm environments. :D
    These strings made my starwood bridge pickup come to life.

Bertotti and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  8. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    If it’s working so far you’re probably fine. I just had one unravel inside a locking tuner while tuning up for the first time, but it only had maybe half a wind and the tuner was gripping the non-silk part, however that works. Maybe more wrapping and less tightening of the lock next time.

9. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I've read that the winding can slip off a round core if there's not enough tension on the winding to hold it in place. It's not such a problem with hex core, which has a better grip on the winding.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I put a drop of super glue on the end of the silk after I cut the string and I don’t have locking tuners so I use a locking wrap.

11. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I use the 10s of these. My favourite strings, period. Only problem I had is the slipping, in total 3 G strings died on me that way. Happened when I brought down the tension and then strung up to pitch again (for a bit of modding, to be able to take away bridge).

They really stay great as well. Maybe a year or so before I even consider changing them.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Dude, i have an idea for the forehead sweat. Screenshot_2020-02-11-00-29-29-1.png

13. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Using TI BeBops on this. Very good match -- a nice halfway house between flats and rounds.
    20181204_093513.jpg

Outlaw and Groutsch like this.
  14. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I have them on my Jaguar primarily to take a bit of the brittle highs out of the sound. I also put them on my Jazzmaster i guess out of some kind of OCD compulsion to keep the offset guitars similarly set up so that their sonic difference would be more easy to quantify. Anyhow, i love the way they clean up my fingerwork, eliminating string sound as i slide around between chords. But i do find them hard to adjust to. Mentally. They feel so different under my fingers. I’m aware that im playing with flatwounds WHILE im playing. Is that odd. Ive had them for about a year so its not like its a novelty thing.

15. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Groutsch. I have used Thomastik Infeld for many years .. the round core never presented any issues for me at all in terms of windings.. best flats on the market today.. tuning , intonation , feel and tone are far superior to other flats that I’ve used.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Between flat and round? These use a round wrap instead of flat only I think they are wrapped on a round core like the swings are. I think, the core is the tonal variant with these.

TV the Wired Turtle and ZackyDog like this.
  17. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have a D'angelico Premier EXL-1 and when I had it set-up I had my luthier put a set of Thomastik 11-46 strings on it. They are perfect for an arch top jazz box and they are easier to play than the regular round wound strings.

18. afire

afire Country Gent

I love flats with bright single coils. Perfect for a Tele, Strat or HiloTrons. They start to lose me when it comes to FilterTrons or even DeArmonds. A little mellow for my taste. But that's just my taste. Other people love those combinations.

19. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I've been using TI .010's and .011's for so many years that I don't remember which brand I used before TI's. I know I kept trying different ones..... until I found TI's. Expensive -- yes. But they last 3 (or more) times longer than others. I love both the feel and sound.

My only "caution" -- The spot where the red wrapping meets the regular string -- try to avoid having that spot sit on the sharp edge of the tuning post. I've broken a couple of low-E and A strings that way.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice