Fixing sympathetic resonance on acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by 64ChevSS, Apr 6, 2020.

1. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    My acoustic guitar has sympathetic resonance that is getting distracting for me.
    If I pick an open high E string and mute it the A string rings until I mute it.
    If I pick an open B string and mute it the low E string rings until I mute it.

I had 12-52 strings on it then switched to 11-52 strings and it is not as quite as bad.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Could something else be wrong with the guitar.
    I have had the guitar for around 4 years and just noticed this in the last six months.

2. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Maybe loose pins? As a test try putting you finger on a bridge pin to dampen it there instead of the string.

MrMajstyk likes this.
  3. Most guitars have that. You have to use your right hand to mute the open strings when playing single notes.

64ChevSS and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Try and enjoy it...

64ChevSS likes this.
  5. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That's not a guitar problem, it's just physics. Any open string on any instrument will pick up energy from notes which are mathematically related, & ring along with those notes. If it's problematic for a tune or key you're playing in, you'll have to mute those open strings. Personally, I find that kind of resonance extremely desirable, kind of like having reverb built into an acoustic guitar.

new6659, 64ChevSS and mrfixitmi like this.
  6. abeauch

abeauch Electromatic

Sep 8, 2011
    Messines, Québec
    I had to react to this one.

1- You have a very good guitar as for resonance is concerned.
    2- It seems very well tuned (developing harmonics)
    3- Very desirable things as well said by Mr Fraser and these are abundant on my electric (Gretsch Country Club) especially with new strings.
    4- What is that acoustic guitar that can run 12's without any complaints on hard action ????

OK some muting necessary in certain situations.

Protect yourself well.

A neighbour from Québec.

Scott Fraser, 64ChevSS and mrfixitmi like this.
  7. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    Thanks for all the responses. It seems like the problem is operator error not the guitar.
    I guess that I will have to work on my technique a lot more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice