Fixing my new 5420 that won’t intonate

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by radd, Jan 8, 2019.

1. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I mentioned it in a post this week but I picked that little trick up here many years ago so can't take credit. But, it not only helps you to know when it's done, it also gives you an idea of how much longer you have to keep sanding away which can take a while with an ebony base!
    Some rosin on the bottom and you're good to go!

radd likes this.
  2. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Exactly what I thought would happen. I considered reaming out the bridge post holes in the body so they will still locate the bridge in a fixed position, and leave the threads in the base as-is, allowing the down pressure of the strings to hold the bridge flush to the body. Keep me updated as to what you do, and how it affects the tone. Thanks

3. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I stated later I backed the posts all the way out and applied moderate pressure to the base with my thumb then screwed the base and the posts to a predetermined height. The bridge fits better but not perfect.

I think I will just buy another wood base with posts then use my ABM 2400 bridge and use double stick tape to secure the base to the guitar. It should make for perfect mating of the new bridge after I shape it to guitar.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  4. rockinforJesus

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    How about new studs + your existing base... I thought of either buying shorter studs or cutting the originals so they only protrude 1-2mm out of the bridge base so as to engage the existing holes in the top, but not thread into the top. Seems a shame to have done all that work to your base and not get any benefit from it. Thanks for sharing your post. I too will mod mine soon.

5. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Hot Daymn...What a great idea, thanks. Your idea is to cut the posts so they reach in enough to pin the bridge but not secure it and let the bridge secure the entire bridge base to the guitar by pressure creating a perfect mating between the two.

Great idea. I will confess I like mods I can undo and go back to stock if necessary, the post cutting would prohibit that.

Gotta think about that.

6. rockinforJesus

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Or find the right length studs. Lowes might have them, or buy threaded rod and cut it to length?
    Grainger or McMaster Carr?

7. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The studs must have a hex head, might be hard to find. I think I will start with looking for replacement parts.

8. Omsok

Omsok Electromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    Question: Does the lack of proper forming of contour to shape of the top throw off the intonation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Hey Rockin, I solved it.....simple. Since I properly shaped my base I needed a way to let the bridge be held flat to the guitar top as the post are threaded in the guitar body...Gee wiz, guess what? I have 6 strings to hold it flat! I attached the bridge and base normally, tuned it up to pitch then I held the thumb wheels so they would not move and I backed the guitar posts way out until I was sure the posts were out of the body and could see the bridge was now setting pretty flat. Then, I held the thumb wheels again as I threaded the posts back in and the bridge base did not move!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    It should have no effect on intonation. Intonation is only effected by the relationship of the saddle to the nut, string length between those two contact points.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That's an old machinist technique. It's used by gunsmiths as well. I've seen carpenters do something similar. It's a simple idea, and it works.

radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice