Five myths about rock-and-roll

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 4, 2019.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    eek...that's a charged description. I think the verdict is out on that.

2. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Glad to see Sister Rosetta Tharpe getting some credit.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Indeed. What could be an ode to America’s culture being different folks sharing their own little quirks and flavors to form new quirks and flavors turns into a bunch of bullmess by sexual faux intellectuals who moved from Youngstown to williamsburg. These type of people are the worst.
    Not for nothing, but I was every bit of dumb at 21 as I was at 17. I’m only slightly less dumb at age 30.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  4. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    I don’t half wonder if the reason this myth persists or maybe even started in the first place is because critics decades ago figured out that Jimmy Page et al were ripping off Howlin’ Wolf. Who, by the way, none of them would have even heard of had it not been for Page, but that’s another matter.

Then they all eagerly rushed to their typewriters to tell the world that white people only had rock ‘n’ roll because they ripped off black people. They hadn’t heard of western swing or any of that either, and probably knew just about enough about the history of American music to stuff up an ant’s arse. I dunno, just riffing, but still…Anyway if a critic is very young, we can’t expect too much I guess, but it would be nice if they stuck to topics they actually understood, like maybe “1000 new ways to use autotune.”

slimwilson, Winterwind and Jockabilly like this.
  5. eggvan

eggvan Gretschie

Nov 30, 2013
    England
    Here's another myth... "it pays"

drmilktruck, Alberta_Slim and tdtom like this.
  6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Or even the Yardbirds :D

Sadly, I can't read this article over here. But it seems there isn't much to know in it...

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I agree with a lot of this, but I must say that the original Rocket 88 recorded for sun records is far superior and was much more groundbreaking. The legend is that Ike’s amp fell over on the truck. It busted and that’s how distortion was invented.

ponca likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Wasn't that the story with Paul Burlison's amp on Train Kept a Rollin supposedly too?

calebaaron666 likes this.
  9. afire

afire Country Gent

You're in luck. There's a 40,000 page thread on this very site debating that. ;)

pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m sure. But Ike recorded Rockett 88 first.

11. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I heard that Robert Smith's amp fell off a truck and broke in half, and that's how chorus was invented.

pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  12. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Eh, it’s a good r&b song, but I prefer the Danny Cedrone guitar work on the Saddlemen version

13. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Nah, distortion was invented when Keith Richards bought a Gibson Maestro Fuzz Tone & played it on 'Satisfaction'.

audept, drmilktruck and Alberta_Slim like this.
  14. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I forgot about Clapton with them. I guess I didn't do my research. DOH!

Floo likes this.
  15. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    1B153512-0494-4763-A572-CD3B9425769E.jpeg 140C7BCA-F6DD-4913-846F-6896A4734876.jpeg I came very close to buying this Rocket 88 last spring. I could afford the car, but I couldn’t afford the divorce.

16. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Elvis is still alive. Lives on a pig farm outside of Jackson, Mississippi.

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  17. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    I think it's a myth that rock music derived from the blues, of course a lot of it does but there is nothing blues about the way i play. i was influenced by indian music, for some reason i was drawn to it? later in life i found out my grandmother was a full blooded romany gypsy, not the scumbags who beg for change these days but a true nomadic gypsy! and of course they descend from india and are a very musical race. this is why i think i have a more sitar style of playing guitar and my tuning's are always drone like. i am also a massive fan of richard wagner and classical in general and we all know that came before the blues!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  18. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    She obviously has a bit of an agenda. The Washington Post provided a forum for her to lay out her own myths in an attempt to negate the older ones.

19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Who doesn’t write about Rock n’ Roll history without a stance or agenda? Even with the most earnest attempt to be objective, one still will make claims that can be argued and denied by countless nerds.
    Like all of us here. We all claim to know the TRUTH and history, but not all of us are going to agree on many concrete facts because we still have our own ideas and agendas based on our experiences.
    For example, I, for one, DO believe Rock n’ Roll comes from black music. How could it not? Elvis sang blues songs and it was Rock n’ Roll. Bill Hailey covered RnB songs. Rockabilly is RnB and hillbilly mixed. Etc etc. Doesn’t really make a difference, but it is history.
    So many will disagree, but that’s okay if they wanna be wrong. ;)

20. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The music you play may not have a direct connection to the blues but rock n roll as a genre certainly does, made explicit many times, especially during the early 60s British blues boom which produced The Rolling Stones, Clapton and his various bands, Jimmy Page and all those who,followed. Jimi Hendrix was an r & b guitarist early in career. The list goes on and on.

Howard hughes and calebaaron666 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice