Five myths about rock-and-roll

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 4, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The Washington Post does a weekly column called "5 Myths About ..." This week's installment is about rock music.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...m_term=.4417235711dc&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

What do you think?

2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    1. A band's early stuff is always better than their later output.
    2. You can rock n roll without substance abuse.
    3. Bellbottoms were a good look.
    4. The Grateful Dead were great.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    He makes some valid points.

4. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    I recall that Link Wray was listed as a bad influence, way back when.

5. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Funny what the article says about Woodstock I found was also very true of Glastonbury in the UK by the time I visited it in the early 90's. As a teen I had heard a lot about this wonderful festival at Glastonbury where all different people came together in peace and love. I went there as a sober observer working in stage security and what I saw was a bunch of folks who were so out of their minds that they didn't know what on Earth they were doing much of the time, others taking advantage of them at every opportunity, including vendors of food, alcohol and souvenirs, simmering tensions and aggression between different groups and of course I think there was at least one death every year I worked there. In the first year as far as I recall it was a young kid who drowned in the communal showers. Oh and I am surprised that the filthy squalid toileting and washing facilities didn't lead to a cholera or typhoid outbreak as well. I swore then that I was never going there as a paying customer.

I was very glad that my security company had our own compound with our own washing/toileting facilities and catering.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "Rumble" was the only instrumental ever banned on radio.

7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Seems like the article is reaching a bit - Hound Dog wasn't written by Big Mama, it was two guys from Long Island. I guess she was the first to record it? - and Myth number 3 - I've never heard it was a paradise. I've always seen and heard it was muddy, hot, smelly, vomit-riddled etc. - and number 5 - I've never heard that men or women invented Rock and Roll. Who who said that? I don't think it's a "thing".

8. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    The article was OK for what it was. There were some historical errors in it, and she failed to mention some of the significant roots. The author took a lot of crap in the comment section for the shortcomings, but come on people, it wasn’t a doctoral thesis. (Though I have thought if I ever attempted a PhD it might be on the roots and history of rock and roll.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  9. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    "early rock'n'roll wasn't enjoyed only by young people...in 1965 40% of "teen beat" records were bought by people over 20" gee, buddy, people who were teenagers enjoying original rock'n'roll in '55 would indeed be over 20 in '65. "white people stole black r&b blah blah blah chuck berry real inventor blah blah blah" when in the hell is this myth going to go away? The first song to really combine the 2 ingredients of rock'n'roll, country/western and r&b, was indeed a white country/western group called Bill Haley and his Saddlemen when they did "Rocket 88", but the so called inventor's, Chuck Berry, first hit was him borrowing a western swing diddy called "Ida Red", and turning it into "Maybellene". Eh, 2/5 article.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  10. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Too many people get hung up on the fact that Link refused to wear Bell Bottoms.

11. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    Opinions are like [​IMG] everybody has one...and they all stink

Alberta_Slim, Robbie and Lizardkinged like this.
  12. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Kurt Vonnegut reference for the win!!!

pmac11 and Alberta_Slim like this.
  13. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Not going to delve into this because, you know, politics, but amen. A ubiquitous big fat historical-revisionist lie. Hell, it wasn't until I was in my late 50s that I learned Charlie Christian was probably influenced by Bob Wills rather than the other way around. Got it directly from the pen of Les Paul in the liner notes to what is probably the best overall CC compilation, on Sony/BMG. African-American and white folk influenced each other and cross-fertilized their musics from the very beginning, end of story.

slimwilson and Jockabilly like this.
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The concept that was an "inventor" of rock n roll is an artificial one. What came to be called rock n roll was a coming together of many strains from different genres, both white and black, over a period of time. R & B, country, western swing, jazz, blues, gospel were all in the mix.

15. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    The grunge one is particularly weird given that "grunge" was a marketing term some label executives came up with to lump together unrelated bands who didn't really sound similar or think of themselves as "grunge bands." It's a little like debunking a myth about what color bigfoot's fur is.

Paul in Colorado and pmac11 like this.
  16. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, this is a weird way to look at this anyway. An interesting fact, if it were true, would be "x% of early rock and roll albums were bought by people over *forty*." Twenty is basically teenaged anyway, so drawing the line there doesn't do much to separate "young people" from "old people." You thought it was popular among people aged 19 and under, but it was actually popular among people aged 22 and under--gotcha!

slimwilson likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I think of "grunge" as analogous to "new wave." A catch-all initially marketing driven term but eventually used as shorthand by a lot of people. Used by "lumpers" instead of "splitters."

Cue Mitch Hedberg:

stevo likes this.
  18. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    She... The writer is a very young woman.

I can overlook the errors just for the fact that someone from her generation is making an effort to understand the music her grandparents listened to.

pmac11, wabash slim and drmilktruck like this.
  19. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I thought 'rock n roll' was cotton field code for.... y'know... 'the other'... and THAT'S been going on since the dawn of time.

pmac11 likes this.
  20. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Research is a lost art. It's just too much trouble to check your facts. Why bother when you can just look "facts" up on Wikipedia, posted by other people that didn't bother to do their research.

I saw an article on Eric Clapton about how he got his start in the 70's when Layla hit the airwaves. One minute of research would have uncovered John Mayall and the BluesBreakers, Cream, and Blind Faith.

I don't give much credence to these "list" articles.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice