First Mesa Boogie?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Some have parametric EQ as an extra, most don't.
    It started with the Mark series in the 1970s and was used in a few other amps over the yrs also.

Mesa put it in their re-issue version 2 Express series amps about 7 yrs ago.
    That V2 re-issue was a significant improvement over V1.
    And it's in all 5 of the Mark series :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 4:34 AM
    Bertotti and pmac11 like this.
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    You are the Mesa-ssaih ;-)

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've been called much worse - hope my info helps you :D

Tony65x55 and pmac11 like this.
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    It sure does. Thanks!

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The active eq is a huge bonus, just saying with it there isn’t much you can’t do.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's a hard thing to do right and Mesa does it right. I think they're sometimes under rated as a company.

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes but there is a learning curve to a tie eq, is that the same
    As parametric? It took me a few hours to get used to the active eq on my amp and to really dial in one with more than just a low mid and Gi takes a bit and is plenty doable. I think it really makes to do some Critical listening to cop other sounds accurately/passably.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well they certainly are on this forum :eek:

It's very Fender and Vox obsessed here and many appear reluctant to even try out other brands.
    Most of the few here that have played Boogies appear to have only played their vintage amps from 20-50 yrs ago.
    And there's very few of those vintage amps I like.

The whole Rectifier range was a high gain experiment and diversion that never appealed to me.
    I don't recommend any Boogies made prior to release of the Lonestar in 2003.
    Before that amp Boogie cleans and reverb were good without being special imo.

The Lonestar was when Boogie cleans and reverb first beat Fender/Vox at their own game.
    They then reproduced Lonestar cleans into most of their following amps.
    Since Lonestar they've made over 50 amps.
    Those are the best sounding, most versatile and lightest they've ever made imo.

They then became the kings of low watt, super versatile, light weight amps while always innovating and making something for everyone.

All I say is .... go test the modern post 2003 Boogies and decide for yourself :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think My triple XXX amps are based of their triple rectifier amps or at the least Peavey’s bid to compete against them. The xxx has the perfect cleans for me. Having these is the only reason I’m not chomping at the nit daily for a Mesa. But should I ever get to that point with will be one of the MarkFive, 23/35/or 90! I don’t know how you could be a 25 for versatility and weight and still have tubes.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    That Mark V 25 is a fine specimen. Maybe.....

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes it is and it was firmly in my radar, was, until I saw the 90! Hahahahaha

pmac11 likes this.
  12. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I'm considering the "AMP in a (Mini)Pedal" solution. Joyo has a "California" pedal, which is a Mesa Boogie MK II simulation. Anyone else ever try a AIAMP out with a basic and off brand combo amp ? I'd be running the pedal in front of a Pyle PVAMP60 open back with Reverb. Most of the demo videos don't indicate the amp they are running it thru. And one was a British/Marshall AIAMP they ran thru a Marshall Combo. I mean how misleading is that. It's going to sound like a Marshall because the rest of it is Marshall. Another video review did that with an Orange AIAMP set up.

VHT has a Redline pedal as well that simulates their open back amp. I'm reluctant to buy it, because the only reviews are VHT Redline complete setups, again it's going to sound like a VHT Reline, everything in the chain is VHT Engineered sound enhanced. The VHT sounds pretty darn good for what it is.

13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Split the difference, get the 35. It's not like you're playing the Mitchell Corn Palace :)

Tony65x55, Bertotti and Waxhead like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nope but I think loud helps the corn grow.

pmac11 and Tony65x55 like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The 90W Mark V is more versatile with a 3rd channel but it's much heavier.
    Difference between the 25 and 35 is the 35 has solo boost footswitchable and an extra 10 watts.
    I don't need either so got the 25.

One of the many uses of the parametric EQ is you can set it up to use as a solo boost.
    Just push all sliders up a bit and you have an excellent solo booster.
    I often do that with my 25 :D

pmac11 likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nice thing about the 90 would be ear shattering stereo. Xxx on one side 90 on the other and me bleeding out in the middle.

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I guess at your property in Sth D you can destroy yourself with impunity :D:eek:

pmac11 and Bertotti like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep and a few of the closer neighbors might drive over and join in! Well not until we have an all clear of course!

Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The residents of Kadoka gathering up pitchforks, and the Mitchell Corn Palace crumbling in the distance under the sonic onslaught.

Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would absolutely have to be careful, naturally, I wouldn't want all the corn from here to Kadoka to pop!

Yep as nice as the 25/35 are @pmac11 you need the 90! Go Big or Go Home! Tim The Tool man!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice