First high end gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by niilopi, Feb 10, 2019.

1. niilopi

niilopi Newbie

Feb 4, 2019
    Finland
    Hey,

Im trying to make a move towards my first gretsch. Im looking for a semi-hollowbody, bigsby, with centerblock preferably black/gold.

First i was looking at the black falcon.. but maybe a smaller body would be more convenient.
    -So then i turned to 6609.. which is nice. only cadillac green works ok for me. But then they have the new fulltrons which i would like to avoid?
    -Then theres the 6636 falcon which is basically a 6609 but closer to a black panther with filtertrons. But it has the falcon headstock which i think doesnt fit the smaller body so well.
    -And then theres the 6620 which has a nice smaller headstock, cb and filtertrons. But no nice color.

So i cant really find the ideal guitar from the catalog.. I guess the 6636 is closest but the headstock is turning me off.. Then i could go the route of buying a 6609 and changing the pups to filtertrons :D

Not really a question here with no right answers.. any toughts? Or is there some used / vintage instruments that im not taking into account? panthers arent anywhere to be found so count them out.

2. Falconman

Falconman Electromatic

Feb 6, 2019
    Ames, IA
    I am basically a "335-type guy,"" for several decades, [I've posed about my Black Falcon on another thread, but won't change the subject here in your thread].
    I love the center block feature of the B.F., the master volume, and esp. the bigsby/playability. I don't find the body "too big," but then, I'm used to larger bodied guitars. The filtertrons sound magnificent to me. Just my 2 cents.

3. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    750C3E1C-4CD8-4DFE-A092-126A38D8950E.jpeg E20615F6-B5FC-43CB-96C8-77B3FFD64612.jpeg I have a centre block falcon (silver) and it doesnt feel like a big guitar at all. Only this morning in fact i was wondering if i were to put them all back in their cases which one would i leave out as my everyday player, and it would be the cb falcon. Even the 6120 and the Annie seem larger (because of their depth) and certainly the jets feel larger because of their weight.
    If you are going high end, it doesnt get much higher than a falcon!
    Im a big fan of black and gold too. Try one out for size if you can, then order/ hunt for the black and gold.

BOBP likes this.
  4. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    I'd keep an eye out for a used Panther. Those of us with them tend to keep them but with patience one will pop up on Reverb or somewhere. Good Luck.

audept, Merc and Lockupyourfatdog like this.
  5. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    AE430185-EBB8-4459-917D-C4B9A606CA6A.jpeg 4D8B0634-6955-405F-9FF9-AC2AA2AA5C44.jpeg Seems to me like you’re describing a broadkaster. They have a thinner body and center block come in double cutaway and there’s lots of nice colors to choose from

RG7X, thunder58, BOBP and 3 others like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Compared to the guitar I had when I started to play, ALL Gretsches are high end.

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Get the Falcon and convince yourself the headstock is beautiful!
    Cuz it is! :)

mbkri likes this.
  8. r0de0

r0de0 Electromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Collingwood, ON Canada
    Jet Pro SE.jpg Jet Pro SE

thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  9. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice