First Gretsch Coming Soon! G-5655TG

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by diamoroso, Feb 5, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I should have posted the link for you! I’m sorry. It was listed at $700.
    The blue is awesome though.
    I’m loving my new 5420. I had to file the top of the nut down a bit. The strings sat at the perfect height, but they were too deep in there. Now she plays even better.

Ps, a good friend of mine bought that exact jazzmaster a month or so ago. So pretty.

diamoroso likes this.
  2. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    The blue is growing on me, starting to get excited about it even. I love Jazzmasters, and this combo is one of the best in my opinion.

benjwri and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I haven’t heard from anyone with a fairlane blue 5420t that didn’t love it!
    I’m excited about it FOR you!
    These blacktop filtertrons pickups are a force to be reckoned with.

diamoroso likes this.
  4. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I'm excited to try out the blacktop filtertrons. They sound great in most of the demo videos I've watched, and the reveiws here seem pretty good. I might not be in such a rush to switch out the PUPs now.

LongJohn likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have TV Jones classics in another Gretsch, but I like these blacktops more. I was very surprised.
    But to each his own, of course.

diamoroso likes this.
  6. Phruzao

Phruzao Electromatic

Jan 23, 2019
    Brazil
    Wow!
    How the blacktops and classics differ?
    Who have more bass midrange and clarity?

7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    To my ears, these new blacktops sound fuller. I mostly use the bridge or the bridge/neck position with my band. The BTbridge cuts through as well as the TVclassic when I play leads, but it doesn’t sound anemic when i’m playing chords. The TVclassic bridge pickup is awesome for guitar solos, but sounds weak and lacks definition when I’m chording.
    The TV classic neck pickup is way more bassy than the BT neck. Too bassy for my taste, to the point that I never use it.

I’m sure there are other TVJ pickups that’d fit my needs more than the classics, but for my needs the BT’s do the job.

The amp one uses obviously effects the tone.
    All I can say is that these blacktops, thru an atomic brain, into my Supro Tremo-Verb can growl and crunch, but also sound smooth and defined. With the TV Classics, I always found myself trying to adjust and fix knobs to chase a perfect sound I couldn’t get.

I hope this answers your question. This is just one idiot’s opinion! :)

Phruzao and diamoroso like this.
  8. Phruzao

Phruzao Electromatic

Jan 23, 2019
    Brazil
    Great review my friend, thanx a lot!
    a lot! I just bought a 5420 and imI really liking the blacktops!

For the neck pikcup, do you say the TV Jones Classics are muddirr or have more bass, more low end?

The definition of the blacktops neck us superb!

IMG_20190109_174138_769.jpg

9. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Beautiful guitar my friend!
    Yes, I find the TV Classic neck to be very muddy and bassy. So much that I don’t even use the middle position for both pickups.
    I’ve tried raising it, lowering it etc. I now have it a little lower than recommended, it’s a little better than it was, but I still never use it.
    Again, i’m sure there are better Tv neck pickups that’d sound better for me, but I’m not going to bother because it’s not even my favorite guitar.

Phruzao and diamoroso like this.
  10. Flouswa

Flouswa Synchromatic

So--you decided the other guitar was too small. I'm curious though--how did it play in comparison to the 5420? Reason I ask is I have a 5120 (which is the same size as the 5420) and while I like it, I'm thinking something just a little smaller might work better for me.

diamoroso likes this.
  11. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    It played very nicely, sounded good acoustically and plugged in. I can't compare it to the 5420 personally until mine arrives tomorrow, but I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. It was definitely a quality instrument, just not what I really wanted. I was drawn in by the Caddy Green finish, which I wish they'd offer on the 5420!

One thing I'll say, not necessarily a negative, but the laurel fretboard did feel a little off to me. Not bad, I don't know how to describe it other than it just feels dry compared to rosewood, ebony, or maple. I could see it being a positive for some players, a negative for others. For me, it just noticeably felt different, no better or worse. Perhaps over time and familiarity I'd decide one way or another whether I loved or hated laurel, but I'm glad that the 5420 has rosewood that I'm already familiar with.

radd likes this.
  12. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Maybe you should have a look at the Broadkaster Jr's. The body is about 1.75 inch thick which lets many cradle it better than a thicker body. Mine wants me to keep picking it up!

Flouswa likes this.
  13. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    5420, Jazzmaster , looper = "where did the day go" ?

diamoroso likes this.
  14. Phruzao

Phruzao Electromatic

Jan 23, 2019
    Brazil
    I´m thinking to try the Brian Setzer Signature

calebaaron666 likes this.
  15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Or the Classic+

16. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    So my new Gretsch came today, got about an hour so far playing it. First impression is the playability is fantastic, and sound is good. I'll have to do more knob tweaking before I decide if the blacktops are for me, but they are definitely quality pickups. The Fairlane blue is gorgeous, finish is perfect. Looking closely I can see that the cuts on the f-holes are not perfect, but not bad enough to bother me. Neck and frets are perfect.

Most impressed by the out of box set up honestly. It was all but perfectly set up and in tune right out of the box. Any alterations I make to the set up would be extremely minor.

Back to the question of how the 5655 compares to the 5420, I am surprised that I must say the 5420 feels much better. The 5655 was about the quality of my old Epiphone Dot, which was good imo, and about what I expected, but this 5420 simply exceeds my expectations. In my experience guitars of the same models and specs can all play very different, so it's very possible I just played an uninspiring 5655 and received a very nice 5420. My gut tells me more care was put into this 5420 design than the 5655 though.

Attached Files:

blueruins and calebaaron666 like this.
  17. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Fairlane Blue 5420...what’s not to like, beautiful, stunning quality, great feeling neck and I think wonderful Blacktop tones.

Luv mine

Enjoy yours

55491A86-DC44-4D70-8174-F9391D282A74.jpeg

18. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Congrats!
    My 5420 was great out of the box too! Except I had to file the top of the nut on mine.
    What kind of amp are you playing thru?

diamoroso likes this.
  19. diamoroso

diamoroso Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Right now i'm going through a Twin Reverb Reissue, a light overdrive on most of the time. Next on the GAS list though is the new Orange Tremlord 30.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  20. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Whoa! Powerhouse! An old bandmate of mine had a twin. I have tinnitus in my right ear cuz of him!
    My supro has so much low end that i’ve dialed down the bass knob to about 2 and dimed the treble with the blacktops. They sound great like that.

new6659 likes this.