Join Gretsch-Talk Today

First gig with my DIY Deluxe clone

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by MatchlessMan, Feb 26, 2017.

1. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    Last night I had a dep gig with a 50s/60s/RnR outfit, so I thought I would take my recently completed 5E3 clone. With a couple of exceptions, I have used my Matchless Lightning on all my guitar gigs in the last 7 years. I was thinking of maybe taking the 5E3 to a jam first to get used to it, but this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it for real.

How was it? Just brilliant! The conditions were somewhat adverse, namely a very boomy bass guitar and a questionable monitor sound for the vocals. Still, the amp sounded much bigger and fatter than any small, light 1x12 combo deserves to. What I liked most was the touch response - by picking lightly during backup parts and then digging in for the solos, I hardly needed to touch my guitar volume control or step on a pedal. I still did though! The amp takes pedals very well, but at the same time made them seem less necessary.

I played my Duo Jet for the first set, and my Custom Shop Strat for the second and third. In that setup the Strat seemed to work the best. Here's my corner of the stage - my amp is the blue one. I am thinking of fitting some tilt-back legs, or alternatively getting a Standback.

[​IMG]

Ricochet, TSims1, jclute and 2 others like this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The little 5E3s are a wonder all right. Glad it went so well for you. I have found my Trinity 5E3 sounds better with single coil pickups than with humbuckers. That makes sense. Whn the circuit was created most guitar pickups were single coil. That said, by manipulating the off-side volume I can get some nice sounds out of a filter'tron.

Congrats on the successful sea trials.

Gotone likes this.
  3. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Three sets? No wonder you want tiltback legs. It's the knees that go first.

So, the million dollar question, you can only take one of your amps on the desert island. What's it to be?

4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Congrats by the way. If it sounds as good as it looks you're on a winner.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    There seems to be a magic combination when it comes to Fender style guitars and tweed amps. I find the mid-hump you get with hollowbody guitars a bit too much for a 5e3 at ramming speed. At lower volumes the touch sensitivity and warmth are fantastic, but that can easily turn into boomy mush. I've swapped out some coupling caps and the cathode bypass resistor to make mine more Gretsch friendly, but it's still pretty thick with any real volume. It strikes me as not the ideal gigging amp, unless you use Fender guitars. The single coils on a Duojet gets you in the same territory, but try it with Filters and you might have to pack up early.

6. MatchlessMan

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    None of them contain enough wood to make a raft :eek:

Even the Dynas on the Duo Jet are a bit thick-sounding through this amp. I need an excuse to gig it with my Tele!

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Those little 5E3s are really great amps. They seem to work for any kind of music that you throw at them. My friend built one himself, too. Although time based effects work fine in combination with these, any kind of preamp or overdrive does sound srange with it. Otherwise it is a splendid amp.

8. MatchlessMan

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    My Boo Tube Screamer Clone sounded fine, but my SlideRig comp sounded fabulous!

Henry likes this.
  9. MatchlessMan

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    Second gig was last night. I normally play bass in this band but stepped in to cover the regular lead guitarist while a dep covered bass.

I used an American Standard Tele and a Custom Shop '59 Relic Strat through my country 'board:
    Cali76 > Pitchblack > Hot Cake > Maxon AD999.

The amp was easily loud enough for a 500-capacity room without PA support. I kept the guitar volume on 7 for backup, then brought it up for solos, which kicked in some nice squash on the Cali and took the amp just over the edge on partial chords. Lovely!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Ricochet and TSims1 like this.
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    You need an Ampeg SVT 8x10" bottom

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Nice. I've been wanting to build one of these for quite a while now.

12. MatchlessMan

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    Do it if you dare - so satisfying!

13. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Looks great too. :)